CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 AM   #31
Justin Gross

Profile:
Re: Chimp vs Lesner!

http://www.esquire.com/features/chim...-attack-0409-3 I'd say not wfs

I think Lesnar wins.

After the chimp rips off and eats all of Brock's giant fingers he's gonna be so full that he goes into food coma and won't have the energy to chew his nose off and castrate him, much less gouge out his eyes and peel his face off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4 wfs
Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #32
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remco Heerdink View Post

Humans always overestimate there own physical abilities when they compare themselves to the wild.
This is what I'm saying!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #33
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Gross View Post
http://www.esquire.com/features/chim...-attack-0409-3 I'd say not wfs

I think Lesnar wins.
Justin, after that article, you still think Lesnar wins?!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #34
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
I remember hearing about that.

LOL that this thread is 4 pages long.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #35
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remco Heerdink View Post
Hell, fighting any decent sized animal with my bare hands is not a fun idea, before you get them down they'll hurt you bad.

Humans always overestimate there own physical abilities when they compare themselves to the wild. We thrive based on our society, cooperation and brains. Physically we are much weaker because biology is a balance scale. Get better in one area, get worse in another.
This. I wonder how many people in this thread have any experience at all with large dogs: German shepherds, rottweilers, St. Bernards... Don't get me wrong, I know these can all be wonderful dogs, but if a dog like that wants to hurt you, you have NO chance. And dogs carry around 12,000+ years of selective breeding to make them more civilized. Wild animals don't.

Katherine
Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #36
Tony Black

Profile:

Quote:

I suspect theres a element of irony in Justin's post

A shocking account of an attack. Heart goes out to the couple.

Theres lots of "were brainy socialized animals" arguments and chimps arent (as)... Also the chimp is a experienced killer and Lesnar wont be able to bring up the requisite mindsate as predator that lives in the wild 24/7. Theres definately a element of truth there. For modern man maybe - most of us maybe.

However there are sociopaths that for one reason or another arent as social as "most humans". Some of them indeed go around looking for fights many end up incarcerated and indeed live at least relatively close to that state 24/7 as well. Eg. Charles Bronson the criminal...

Think also of the mindset of a soldier, plenty of accounts from history (recent and past) of soldiers having to bring up "that mindstate" of violent intent and savagery. And if you mistakenly believe modern warfare is too sanitized, then think back to the pre gunpower era where fighting took place at arms length with sharp edges.

Man can summon and has that predatory/survival/fight mindset. Its inbuilt into our DNA...

Animal versus human fights arent unknown to history -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-baiting - WFS

Surely the question is whether a human professional fighter can summon it "on the day" or has the requisite physical tools to withstand a chimp attack....

Quote:
Many people have also lost another muscle-related gene called ACTN3. People with two working versions of this gene are overrepresented among elite sprinters while those with the nonworking version are overrepresented among endurance runners. Chimpanzees and all other nonhuman primates have only the working version; in other words, they're on the powerful, "sprinter" end of the spectrum.
http://www.slate.com/id/2212232/ <= WFS

Suspect Lesnar and most fighters are also going to be on the sprinter end as well.

To me the question really boils down to could Lesnar really sustain a fight against such a life threatening ferocious and unorthodox opponent. Could he fight treating his body like a 2nd hand vehicle smashing it to pieces, not caring about anything except winning. Instead of acting like a pro athlete and treating it like a rather expensive vehicle worth millions (which it is in both respects to him).

IF he could do the that then i think he MIGHT win. Ill give the chimp lovers that its a bloody hard fight (in both respects)! But his sheer size and potential MIGHT give him the win.

Of course any average human versus any average chimp the question is undeniably in the chimps favor. But against a remarkable human - it becomes less clear - the bell curve in humans has more extreme examples.

Last edited by Tony Black; 10-28-2009 at 09:18 AM..
Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #37
John Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
This. I wonder how many people in this thread have any experience at all with large dogs: German shepherds, rottweilers, St. Bernards... Don't get me wrong, I know these can all be wonderful dogs, but if a dog like that wants to hurt you, you have NO chance. And dogs carry around 12,000+ years of selective breeding to make them more civilized. Wild animals don't.

Katherine

Katherine, your comment reminded me of this video of German police dogs training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22mMXcDJ8L8 WFS (there is some simulated violence with police dogs training for work, and gunshots)

I know a German shepherd isn't a chimp, but, relating to the "Brock is bigger than the chimp" comments, I'm wondering by how much these guys outweigh the dogs.

Last edited by John Casey; 10-28-2009 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: adding the WFS tag
Old 10-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #38
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Lesnar isnt as strong as a chimp.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #39
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Those tales of a chimp reinforce my mistrust of other animals, especially males. I've heard before of chimp violence so **** on that.

As far as I'm concerned they are fine by me in a zoo or in their own habitat but not free around me. To hell with that idea of taking a picture with a "tamed" animal. Maybe my own pet if that.

Unfortunately, I think the only thing that might take down a chimp is high powered ammunition and quite a few rounds to be sure.

Heavy bludgeoning implements don't sound like they can work.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:37 AM   #40
Remco Heerdink

Profile:

Quote:
This is what I'm saying!
Oh yeah I completely agree with you, I was just reiterating your point.
I'll make sure to use the quote option better next time.

Quote:

Katherine
Yeah exactly, my unkle was attacked by his own dog a while ago. Animal went completely nuts, now my unkle is a fairly big guy and strong. The dog managed to bite him several times before he could get a hold of the collar and strangle it to unconsciousness. According to him if the dog got loose he'd have died; its faster, far more ferocious and difficult to handle. The only reason that my unkle 'won' is because he had the collar to grab.

You dont have that advantage against a chimp.

Quote:
Theres lots of "were brainy socialized animals" arguments and chimps arent (as)... Also the chimp is a experienced killer and Lesnar wont be able to bring up the requisite mindsate as predator that lives in the wild 24/7. Theres definately a element of truth there. For modern man maybe - most of us maybe.

However there are sociopaths that for one reason or another arent as social as "most humans". Some of them indeed go around looking for fights many end up incarcerated and indeed live at least relatively close to that state 24/7 as well. Eg. Charles Bronson the criminal...

Think also of the mindset of a soldier, plenty of accounts from history (recent and past) of soldiers having to bring up "that mindstate" of violent intent and savagery. And if you mistakenly believe modern warfare is too sanitized, then think back to the pre gunpower era where fighting took place at arms length with sharp edges.

Man can summon and has that predatory/survival/fight mindset. Its inbuilt into our DNA...

Animal versus human fights arent unknown to history -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-baiting - WFS
My point is exactly the opposite, its no longer 'build into our DNA' (there's no such thing really). Ever since we started living in bigger tribes there's been a selective pressure AGAINST verocious, violence and crime. Not to mention that we are conditioned from birth to believe that these are bad things.

Now I don't dispute that humans can bring that side of themselves out. It just doesn't come that easy anymore to us. If this is a organized fight then the human will go in with that mindset, even if he's a raging bull in regular fights it doesn't compare to the pure viciousness of wild animals. The chimp doesn't fight according to rules and regulations. It doesn't wait for the starting signal. If it can't run and perceives you as a threat it will attack without mercy. One hesitation from the human and he's done for, it just compounds after that (imagine having your testicles bitten off and then having to fight back).

Quote:
Those tales of a chimp reinforce my mistrust of other animals, especially males. I've heard before of chimp violence so **** on that.

As far as I'm concerned they are fine by me in a zoo or in their own habitat but not free around me. To hell with that idea of taking a picture with a "tamed" animal. Maybe my own pet if that.

Unfortunately, I think the only thing that might take down a chimp is high powered ammunition and quite a few rounds to be sure.

Heavy bludgeoning implements don't sound like they can work.
I agree in many ways, cat's and dogs I'm alright with. Well trained they can be a good companion but thats it.

Heavy bludgeoning could work if you manage to hit the chimp in a weak spot, once its close forget it you won't have the time/room to hit again.

I want to preserve the general bio diversity in the world, so for me its important that even the verocious animals have a habitat to live far away from us humans.

(heheh go go massive posts )

Ps. I thoroughly enjoy this discussion...if you haven't noticed yet