CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
Scott Stevens

Profile:
Re: Do you have trouble finding sympathy?

On one hand I agree with you guys that he could have been a bit more sensitive, but you know what they say about sympathy. It's in the dictionary between sh*t and syphillis.

You can't change anyones mind on anything unless they're willing. I guess you can make it easier for them to change their mind by being somewhat supportive.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
Amy Tompkins

Profile:

I get where you are coming from. There are people who want to look good and be fit - until they find out how much work it is. Then there are people who want to look good and be fit - and they just don't know how.

Exceptional fitness or an exceptional body takes exceptional effort. I think I have little sympathy for those looking for the easy way out. It's hard to be unsympathetic when you're female too - we're supposed to be all cushy and nurturing.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Also remember while being healthy and working out is a good thing, it usually wont make you a million dollars or necessarily make you a better person. A more healthy and fit one yes, but not neccessarily better.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Ron White

Profile:

I know that someday I'm going to have to figure out how to not bee an a**hole about it. But hopefully people will just refrain from putting me in the situation but me thinking that's going to happen is being very naive.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
Scott Moore.

Profile:

I know where you come from dude. Even if you change your answers to be more positive you can't change the fact that they would rather waste their time whining then doing something about their problems.

When people find out that I play bass, their first response is typically, "That's great, I have absolutely no musical talent/ability I could never do that." I always try to tell them that anyone can play an instrument but that it takes work to play well. Even then I usually get the "whatever" look and I stop there. If they show interest in learning then I offer to give them lessons though I've yet to have someone follow up on that. I know this isn't exactly crossfit related but I think it still applies.

You can only do so much, keep doing what you are doing and if anyone wants to follow your lead then welcome them with open arms.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #16
Scott Dyck

Profile:

Isn't complaining about other people's whining, in essence, whining?

Most people who don't work out, or find excuses to be out of shape, aren't inherently incapable due to some character flaw. They're lacking confidence in physical endeavors, just like I lack confidence in things that take me completely out of my element. Welcome the opportunity and be a coach to someone!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
Bridget Fernandez

Profile:

I understand how you feel. I get frustrated with the people who say, "You do crossfit? You're nuts, that stuff is too hard" Makes me want to scream! When did hard work become a bad thing? Our society has spawned a buch of wimps, we want the most results in the least amount of time, with the least amount of work..So when somebody says to me they want to get in shape, lose weight..but then you tell them how to do it, that its gonna take hard work, sweat, puke, but it will change your life, and they dont even want to attempt it because of the work, sweat, puke, then thats it for me. They can go tan and 'workout' at Planet Fitness.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
Ian Staab

Profile:

My sympathy levels have certainly declined since I've made many attempts at helping other people, only to be mocked and disregarded because it's "crazy" or "too hard".

I remember I spent a good hour or two putting together a diet that was all healthy foods my (significantly overweight) buddy said he liked, calculated out for 5-6 meals a day to the right calorie requirements and macros - one our later I see him eating thin mints by the sleeve. This is the same guy that convinced himself that his salad with ranch, french fries, cheddar, croutons and garlic bread was healthier than the brisket, green beans and broccoli I was eating - It's pointless to feel bad for him. Not to mention he sold the weight set I practically gave to him for a foosball table.

Same goes for one of my really good friends. He's not terribly overweight, just very out of shape. I gave him and his wife a free month to our bootcamp - they came twice.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I quit trying to tell people about CF and nutrition months ago. I always got reponses such as:

- that's dangerous

- squats are bad for your knees

- diet doesn't really matter that much

- I need to get in shape before I do that

And so on. Bear in mind this was AFTER my friends asked me about CF. I frequently found myself thinking:

- Why do I bother?

So I quit. If anyone asks why I'm leaner, stronger, more alert, etc these days I tell them to google crossfit and then change the topic. If they do and bring it back up later, I invite them along.

I **** off a lot less of my friends that way, but I still shake my head at them.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #20
Stanley Walter

Profile:

I think there is a difference between whining and having a valid complaint.

But, I agree....grown adults whining is stupid.

As for getting sympathy, it depends. People are sympathetic if they can understand what you're doing/going through. Otherwise, they can try, sure....but its not as real.