CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #31
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Re: How Tough are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
More details. I was training in this pretty hardcore BJJ place compared to other places. I had superior condition to this guy that had superior technique. He was so tired that he really cranked the armbar since he was dying cardio-wise. I couldnt tap because my other arm was trapped and my arm popped before I thought of saying: Tap.

My elbow hurt when I was walking around and stuff. Still did my workouts, I figured the pain would just fade away.
I still do not going around punking people and staring people down. I must not be that tough
Old 08-08-2009, 04:12 AM   #32
George Nesrallah

Profile:

Years ago I drank thirty six beers and a mickey of Jack Daniels, then proceeded to challenge everyone at the party to an ab. posing competition. Now that's tough !

Ah, the idiocy of youth .
Old 08-08-2009, 04:37 AM   #33
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

I've been stabbed(as a civilian), shot twice(security guard at a night club while on AD not duty related), abundance of overuse injuries from my time in the 82nd AD, and in a# of physical confrontations in which I was almost always either outnumbered or was fighting someone much older or more experienced than me, near death from a motorcycle accident, deployed 4 times and all that might entail but despite all these experiences I would never have the confidence to post in a thread of which the title was "How Tough Are You" beginning with...I used to work for a software company!! That may be a little insensitive but I'm not known for my sensitivity and personally I don't give a f***!!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #34
Tim Smith

Profile:

Many years ago, I got my girlfriend pregnant. Some time later she called me from the hospital to tell me that she miscarried. After I got there, the doctors treating her said they needed the fetal material. They all looked at me.

I went to her apartment and recovered the remains of our child. On the way back to the hospital I saw her Dad (all 6'7" of him) walking to her apartment for a surprise visit (he lived 150 miles away). I stopped and picked him up, told him what was going on, and took him with me to the hospital. I gave the remains to the doctor. I sat down for a while after that.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #35
William Jackson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Bull****. And frankly you should be smacked upside the head for the implication that today's generation is somehow "lesser" because of PTSD.

It was called Shell Shock in WWI and Battle Fatigue or Exhaustion in WWII. We have reports of it going back as far as Ancient Greece. It's not new and it's not something to be ashamed of or something that speaks to the character of the person experiencing it.
Okay. i see how my statement came off as offensive. all i meant was that "shell shock" was not in the DSM IV(or whatever that psych book is called) and there were not established ways to treat it. only recently has PTSD became a buzz word and gotten media attention to the point where someone realized it should be treated. i am NOT trying to take anything away from anyone diagnosed with PTSD as they are true american heroes.
Just trying to set the record straight
Old 08-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #36
Jim Denofa

Profile:

I went to the movies once and sat through the whole thing without popcorn or sour patch kids.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #37
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I used the baby heimlech manuever 2 different times on each of my little sisters. Very scary moments.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #38
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Stood up to the big bad bully in high school.

Wrestled my senior year in HS.

2nd degree black belt in TKD.

Got lifeguard certified after a couple months of swimming experience.

2 classes away from my associates degree (the hardest thing of all)

I was so dehydrated once when I was sick I had to get 15 bags of IV fluid injected into me.

Dealing with *********s......

I could go on.....
Old 08-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #39
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

A woman I knew in the past was sexually assaulted in the past and I convinced her to go to the police.

Hearing her story is one of the hardest things I have ever done.

That is why I only look as crossfit as workouts and not very hard at all.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #40
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
I went to the movies once and sat through the whole thing without popcorn or sour patch kids.
Yeah, top this.

I took my wife to see "Gone with the Wind" in the theatre. I sat through the whole thing (not easy, but with my attention span and ADD. )

When they got to the "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn" line I stood up and started to walk out, not realizing it was not the end of the movie.