CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Re: How Tough are You?

I think my elbow was minorly dislocated in BJJ once. I was working out, bench pressing as usual noticing that my elbow hurt more afterward, working at a pizza place. One day I noticed it hurt pretty bad and I got a bright idea and grabbed my wrist and pushed my forearm towards my bicep. I heard a pop and I was now pain free.

Not as tough as your grandma though
Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #22
Luke Gaylor

Profile:

Not very, with the exception being below:

I used to work for a software company. Just a little one here in the Seattle area
They have a bunch of sports teams to participate in competitivly. I was playing in the Division I football league. Our team had come off of a Losing season and we were in the final regular season game, if we won, we automatically moved to the playoffs. I was playing middle LB, and the opposing team threw a perfect spiral I just missed the interception by an inch or 2. However, the corner picked it off. I started running down field to block for him and I slowed to block a guy I knew could catch him, when I slowed I didn't slow enough and we collided, I steped sideways rolling my ankle. I crawled off the field and called it a day with a rolled ankle.....fast forward 6 weeks. I'm sitting at home with my Wife and she comments that the bruising doesn't look like it has gone done much, along with the swelling. I begrudgingly went to my wife's office and got an x-ray.
I had been walking around on a brokedn FIBIA for 6 weeks.

My grandfather, had a heart attack and at the time he was in the kitchen of their house, and as he was calling my Grandma, he was holding onto the counter and broke it off in his hands.

Luke
Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and become a slave. Proverbs 12:24
Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
Gabriel Goodwin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Deming View Post
Did I say surfing? I meant flying my helicopter from a ladder underneath it with a remote controller

WFS http://prometheus.med.utah.edu/~bwjo...Helicopter.jpg
You know he ruined that wetsuit...
Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #24
William Jackson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Deming View Post
Did I say surfing? I meant flying my helicopter from a ladder underneath it with a remote controller

WFS http://prometheus.med.utah.edu/~bwjo...Helicopter.jpg
reminds me of the VERY first batman movie where he beats the shark off of his leg and uses the "shark repellant"

the WWII'ers were called america's greatest generation for a reason. some of the accounts were insane. and back then they didnt have post-traumatic stress syndrome...
Old 08-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #25
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lopez-Ota View Post
I think my elbow was minorly dislocated in BJJ once. I was working out, bench pressing as usual noticing that my elbow hurt more afterward, working at a pizza place. One day I noticed it hurt pretty bad and I got a bright idea and grabbed my wrist and pushed my forearm towards my bicep. I heard a pop and I was now pain free.

Not as tough as your grandma though
More details. I was training in this pretty hardcore BJJ place compared to other places. I had superior condition to this guy that had superior technique. He was so tired that he really cranked the armbar since he was dying cardio-wise. I couldnt tap because my other arm was trapped and my arm popped before I thought of saying: Tap.

My elbow hurt when I was walking around and stuff. Still did my workouts, I figured the pain would just fade away.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:22 AM   #26
Mark Markley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Jackson View Post
reminds me of the VERY first batman movie where he beats the shark off of his leg and uses the "shark repellant"

the WWII'ers were called america's greatest generation for a reason. some of the accounts were insane. and back then they didnt have post-traumatic stress syndrome...
They did. They just called it shell shock.

I broke a bone in my foot and walked on it for a week before I did anything about it. The school nurse wouldn't let me leave early to go to the ER, as I had been walking on it for days, and she felt that I was malingering. I was quite happy to show her my X-ray the next day.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #27
Ryan Kenny

Profile:

Once, i slept in a house that had NO air conditioning!! I nearly began to sweat...Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but it really did happen...
Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #28
Jason Whitten

Profile:

I once traveled to S. Caroline from Michigan w/ my parents to watch my little bro play hockey. I became sick Thursday night barley made it back to the hotel before green stuff starting coming out both ends. All day Friday/Saturday I laid in bed or was in the bathroom puking my brains out. Sunday we finally made the drive back to Michigan. I wake up Monday morning and head to work and only lasted an hour or so. Tuesday morning my wife forced me to the emergency room. Turns out it wasn't the flu like I though, my appendix burst during the trip and I needed an emergency appendectomy.

Ended up in the hospital for almost a week and missed the next three weeks of work.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #29
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Jackson View Post
Bull****. And frankly you should be smacked upside the head for the implication that today's generation is somehow "lesser" because of PTSD.

It was called Shell Shock in WWI and Battle Fatigue or Exhaustion in WWII. We have reports of it going back as far as Ancient Greece. It's not new and it's not something to be ashamed of or something that speaks to the character of the person experiencing it.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #30
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Bull****. And frankly you should be smacked upside the head for the implication that today's generation is somehow "lesser" because of PTSD.

It was called Shell Shock in WWI and Battle Fatigue or Exhaustion in WWII. We have reports of it going back as far as Ancient Greece. It's not new and it's not something to be ashamed of or something that speaks to the character of the person experiencing it.
I agree with this, brave men and women get PTSD. Not only in the military also.