CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #1231
Luke Seubert

Profile:
Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pack View Post
Hey Luke, I hope you're feeling better by now. I also hope your current workout routine is not cutting trees and stacking sandbags.
Nope, not at all.

See my reply to Nik's inquiry about the storm for further details. All I have to do is rake a bunch of Fall leaves a little bit sooner than I otherwise would have, and put away the kerosene lamps and candles. And haul the trash cans back outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pack View Post
I've had back problems sporadically throughout my life. It seems to have worsened though in the past few years. It would flare up weekly. I kept a bottle of muscle relaxers and ibuprofen on standby.

I had to modify my workouts early in the year because back squats aggravated my back condition. I believe it had less to do with axial or compressive loading of the spine, and more to do with slight rotations I was doing under heavy load when removing the bar from the rack and preparing to squat.I finally broke down and saw a sports medicine doc and began a physical therapy program. The PT noted that I had a lot of "loose" tissue around the spine and actually attributed this to my recent massive weight loss. We started a program for several weeks that involved exercise designed to strengthen the multifidus muscles that are around the spinal column. Like many PT programs, the exercises felt silly because there was no straining or weight challenges. However, within a few weeks my pain was alleviated.

I've continued some of those original exercises and now work with an strength and conditioning coach that is a big advocate of core and posterior chain development, curing muscle imbalances, as well as improving flexibility. We older guys aren't as flexible as we used to be, and really need to work to get some of that back. My workouts now consist of a lot more activation and mobility exercises than I previously performed while doing a basic strength program. I'm pleased to report that my back pain has pretty much gone away. This time last year I would expect to "tweak" my back a couple times a month. It's been months since I had an episode. Flexibility is also much improved, but I still have a long way to go.

Anyway, I just thought I'd relay that you, especially with your significant weight loss and desire to play a contact sport in the future, may benefit from a program more centered around core stability,flexibility, and muscle imbalances.

You may also want to search "foundation training". I stumbled across an interview with this guy and found his program interesting. He's a D.C. who's developed a quick program to help alleviate pain long term. He has some videos on youtube.
Greg, thank you very much for this advice. It confirms some things I had been pondering, and dovetails nicely with some plans I had been sketching out for my heavier training phase come January. Among other things, I am planning on specifically targeting core and posterior chain exercises. Ross Enamait emphasizes these sorts of exercises in his books as all too-often neglected despite their necessity for superior fitness. I'll research foundation training, and combine that knowledge with some material that Arturo recommended last year.

As for how my back is recovering in the meantime, please refer to my post about my latest workout. All in all, things are going pretty well. I heal up faster than I once did, which I attribute to better fitness, less fat, a Paleo diet, and fish oil.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #1232
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Sorry about the back. I have been there to many times myself. You know what to do. Just get back to it as you can. Nice squats and deads( what you did get in)
Ironically, this happened just as I realized that my slow linear progression was conflicting with my low-calorie nutrition, so I was going to stop increasing my weight loads. Not that those loads are especially heavy anyway, but such is life for novice lifters on a severe diet I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
I hope the storm was not bad for you.
I have been in four hurricanes now - Andrew, Isabel, Irene, and Sandy. Andrew was the worst by far. Isabel was the distant second worst, though Irene was more inconvenient insofar as it knocked out power for quite a long time. Sandy wasn't too bad down here in Southern Maryland.

In fact, Sandy did us a favor. A modest Nor'easter was parked over us for two days prior to Sandy's arrival. It was dumping a fair amount of rain on us, along with some wind, but nothing as bad as a typical Nor'easter. Such storms usually last three to four days, and can wreak some measure of havoc, though not as much as a direct hit from a hurricane. What Sandy did was to merge with this Nor'easter, and then blow it away. Instead of a four day storm, we had a two day storm, and then very mild conditions afterwards.

Recall that we were on the south side of Sandy, about 100 miles south of the storm track through New Jersey, northern Maryland, and Pennsylvania. The south side of a hurricane is the place to be, especially the southwest side. Believe me, I was on the north side of Hurricane Andrew not too far from where the eyewall blew through. We experienced 155 MPH sustained winds with gusts into the low 170's. That was far worse.

Around here we got a good dose of rain and some steady winds in the 30's or 40's, with an occasional gust maybe into the 50's. It didn't last very long and by morning, to my surprise, all the rain and wind was gone. All that was left was cold overcast. The power flicked off momentarily twice the night of the hurricane. The next day, the power crews cut power for half an hour to remove a tree that had fallen across our street's power line - a very common occurence in this area. Other than that, that was it. Everything was back to normal very quickly.

Now, to the north of here, obviously it is a very different story. Lots of wind, lots of rain, and lots of storm surge. We had our turn of that sort of mess with Isabel and Irene. This time, it was another area's turn. Having expected much worse, down here in Southern Maryland, Sandy turned out to be a rather tame affair.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #1233
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Saturday Weekly Body Measurements Update
Date: November 3, 2012

Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 755.5 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 755.0 cm
Beginning Date for Body Measurements - May 14, 2011 - Total Body Measurements: 1009.5 cm
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 254.5 cm
Total Percentage Lost to Date: 25.2%

Comments
I lost 0.5 cm on Total Body Measurements this past week, but at least I lost it in the right place - my waist measurement. All the other measurements were stable.

I regard this as reasonably good news, given that I am just now starting to come off of a mini-carb break. My Bodyweight has dropped 4.0 pounds since yesterday, when I hit the post-Halloween candy carb-up peak of 248.6 pounds. I am still retaining some water and glycogen, which will take me about a week to shed fully. Normally I see my body measurements tick up a bit here and there when I am carbed up and out of ketosis. But this time, they have held pretty steady. I am guessing that by next week there will be some drops.

Tomorrow's LBM update will be skewed because it will be comparing apples to oranges - ketogenic state versus non-ketogenic state. However, it looks like I still made some small bit of progress on the BFC front, so I am happy about that.

Body Measurements for Last Week and This Week
An explanation about "Total Body Measurements" and how I use body measurements to assess fat loss over time may be found in my previous post, "The Humble Tape Measure: Simple But Oh So Useful" (WFS).

Right Thigh: 55.5 cm, 55.5 cm
Right Calf: 42.5 cm, 42.5 cm
Right Ankle: 23.5 cm, 23.5 cm

Left Thigh: 57.5 cm, 57.5 cm
Left Calf: 42.5 cm, 42.5 cm
Left Ankle: 23.0 cm, 23.0 cm

Right Arm: 30.0 cm, 30.0 cm
Right Forearm: 28.5 cm, 28.5 cm
Right Wrist: 17.5 cm, 17.5 cm

Left Arm: 32.5 cm, 32.5 cm
Left Forearm: 28.5 cm, 28.5 cm
Left Wrist: 17.0 cm, 17.0 cm

Neck: 37.0 cm, 37.0 cm
Chest: 110.5 cm, 110.5 cm
Waist: 105.5 cm, 105.0 cm
Hips: 104.0 cm, 104.0 cm
Old 11-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #1234
Luke Seubert

Profile:

WOD - Walking Day
  • Date: November 3, 2012
Conditions
  • Temperature: 48 F
  • Heat Index: 48 F
  • Humidity: 53%
Comments
Today's brisk walk featured higher intensity and volume than yesterday's walk. As my back heals and gets stronger, I am able to pick up the pace a bit. Instead of 3.1 miles, I walked 4.0 miles. Instead of a 3.94 MPH pace at 124 BPM yesterday, I walked a 4.04 MPH pace at 136 BPM today.

I also got stronger and faster as I progressed in the walk. My second 1.1 mile lap was faster than the first one. Likewise, my second 0.9 mile lap was faster than the first. I finished the last uphill portion with a heart rate in the low 160's, well above the average heart rate of 136 BPM over the entire course. I was able to do this because I am still burning off stored glycogen as I work my way back into ketosis. Also, the tight muscles in my lower back loosened up during the workout, allowing me a bit more hip swivel flexibility which allowed me to pick up the pace a bit.

Much to my surprise, this is the first time I have recorded a time for the 4.0 Flat and Hilly Mile course, so today I set the PR. This was with no jogging at any time on the course. I recall a time summer before last when I didn't think I could hit a 4.0 MPH pace over even 1.1 miles because I didn't think my walking gait could be that fast - that I would have to jog to hit such a pace. Now, I can easily sustain more than 4.0 MPH over a four mile course. This is a tremendous improvement and shows what dropping 140 pounds since then has done for me.

For comparison purposes, below are some of my 1.1 Flat Mile times from summer before last. Note that my pace is much higher now, over nearly four times the distance, with a much lower heart rate. Nice improvement indeed.

07/14/2011
20:17 - 3.25 MPH
141 BPM

07/15/2011
18:59 - 3.48 MPH
146 BPM

07/16/2011
21:55 - 3.01 MPH
129 BPM

07/18/2011
20:12 - 3.27 MPH
143 BPM

07/19/2011
18:50 - 3.50 MPH
152 BPM

Walk - 4.0 Flat and Hilly Miles (Current PR - 59:21 @ 136 BPM on 11/03/12, 4.04 MPH)
  • Time: 59:21, 4.04 MPH
  • Heart Rate: 136 BPM

Last edited by Luke Seubert; 11-03-2012 at 10:54 AM..
Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #1235
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Sunday Lean Body Mass Update
  • Date: November 4, 2012

LBM Average 2 Weeks Ago: 174 lbs
LBM Average 1 Week Ago: 175 lbs
Current LBM Average: 178 lbs

Comments
This week's LBM results seem delightful, but result from comparing apples and oranges. When I am in ketosis, my body is low in glycogen and retained water, which alters my body measurements slightly and my Omron results significantly. When I am carbed up, as I still somewhat am this weekend, my body stores much more glycogen and water, which skews my BFC readings. So while it seems that I have gained 3 pounds of muscle mass this past week, I have in fact done nothing of the sort - this is all an artifact of differing diet regimen effects from last weekend to this weekend.

That said, in the past when I went on high carb breaks, BOTH my LBM and FBM numbers would go up. This time around, my Fat Body Mass numbers have held steady at 67 pounds, while just my LBM jumped up as one can see in the chart below. Look at the difference in LBM and FBM from 8/12/12 to 8/19/12 to see past, typical results of big carbups.

My BFC declined slightly, though my tape measure and formula BFC dropped more than my Omron BFC. This too is pretty typical. As I move into ketosis, my Omron BFC readings tend to lag a bit behind my tape measure and formula BFC results. The Omron readings eventually catch up, and suddenly, but it takes a little time to get there.

Given how screwy and unreliable my numbers can get when I shift from ketosis to non-ketosis; I don't take any of this too seriously. Still, it is psychologically comforting when my FBM number at least holds steady while my Bodyweight temporarily bounces up.

My induction phase continues, and I should see further drops in Bodyweight in the coming week, though I doubt anything as dramatic as the one-day-four-pound loss from the other day. I am back down to 244, and heading for the low 240's. I am looking forward to breaking into the 230's pretty soon.

Because this week's LBM numbers are skewed, I didn't bother including the usual Progressive Bodyweight, LBM & FBM Projections Based Upon Declining BFC part of this post. I'll include that information next week when I am back to comparing apples to apples once more.

LBM Derived From Formula, Omron, And Their Average LBM
My Lean Body Mass computation is derived from two sources. The first is my daily BFC readings taken with my Omron HB-306, which is detailed in my previous post, How to Get Semi-Useful Body Fat Composition Data Out of a Bioelectrical Impedance Analyzer (WFS). The second is based upon several of my body measurements, as detailed in my previous post, A Quick Method of Computing Body Fat Composition (WFS). Neither of these two methods results in an LBM number which I regard as accurate. However, when the two are averaged together, they seem to produce a result that is reasonably close. This average is what I used in the table below.

Regardless, what I really pay attention to is changes in LBM over time. My current goal is for LBM to hold steady as I lose fat. By the way, BW = Bodyweight, LBM = Lean Body Mass, FBM = Fat Body Mass, BFC = Body Fat Composition, and BMI = Body Mass Index.

_Date________BW________LBM______FBM______BFC_____B MI_
07/01/12_____275 lbs_____191 lbs_____84 lbs_____30.6%_____34.5
07/08/12_____271 lbs_____190 lbs_____80 lbs_____29.7%_____34.1
07/15/12_____268 lbs_____191 lbs_____77 lbs_____28.7%_____33.7
07/22/12_____265 lbs_____191 lbs_____74 lbs_____27.8%_____33.3
07/29/12_____266 lbs_____193 lbs_____73 lbs_____27.3%_____33.4
08/05/12_____259 lbs_____189 lbs_____70 lbs_____27.1%_____32.6
08/12/12_____260 lbs_____190 lbs_____70 lbs_____26.8%_____32.7
08/19/12_____268 lbs_____193 lbs_____75 lbs_____28.0%_____33.7
08/26/12_____270 lbs_____194 lbs_____76 lbs_____28.3%_____34.0
09/02/12_____263 lbs_____190 lbs_____73 lbs_____27.9%_____33.1
09/09/12_____256 lbs_____187 lbs_____69 lbs_____26.9%_____32.2
09/16/12_____256 lbs_____189 lbs_____67 lbs_____26.2%_____32.2
09/23/12_____252 lbs_____187 lbs_____65 lbs_____25.7%_____31.7
09/30/12_____254 lbs_____189 lbs_____65 lbs_____25.7%_____31.9
10/07/12_____246 lbs_____174 lbs_____72 lbs_____29.2%_____30.9
10/14/12_____243 lbs_____174 lbs_____69 lbs_____28.3%_____30.5
10/21/12_____241 lbs_____174 lbs_____67 lbs_____27.9%_____30.3
10/28/12_____242 lbs_____175 lbs_____67 lbs_____27.5%_____30.4
11/04/12_____246 lbs_____178 lbs_____67 lbs_____27.4%_____30.9
Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #1236
Luke Seubert

Profile:

WOD - Walking Day
  • Date: November 4, 2012
Conditions
  • Temperature: 44 F
  • Heat Index: 44 F
  • Humidity: 64%
Comments
Today's walk was shorter and slower than yesterday's. Since I am also lifting some weights today, I used this walk for a warmup and thus kept the distance and pace down a little bit. Still, this was a bit more work than my more typical 1.1 or 2.0 mile warmup walks.

One thing that made this walk unique was my strong focus on walking posture. Throughout the walk, I concentrated on keeping my chin up with eyes focused on the distant horizon. This helps bring my cervical spine into proper alignment. I focused on keeping my chest up and out, with my shoulders rolled back, and most of my natural arm swing behind the lateral midline of my body. This brings my thoracic spine into alignment. Finally, I focused on rolling my pelvis back a bit while keeping my knees mostly over or behind my ankles, which tends to push my butt out. This leads to a proper alignment of the lumbar spine.

By focusing on maintaining this posture while I walked - a swaggering, big-chested, big-butted gait, so to speak - I turned my walk into a mild posterior chain exercise. While this is somewhat taxing - I can still feel the effects in my quads and hamstrings - I plan on doing this consistently going forward.

Walk - 3.1 Flat and Hilly Miles - 5k (Current PR - 43:04 @ 124??? BPM on 09/23/12, 4.32 MPH)
  • Time: 48:35
  • Heart Rate: 120 BPM
Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #1237
Luke Seubert

Profile:

WOD - Starting Strength - Reduced Routine B

Date: November 4, 2012

Conditions
  • Indoors
Comments
With my back still a bit stiff and tender, this strength workout was limited to upper body exercises. I skipped the squats and power cleans, and will continue to do so until my back is stronger.

That said, this isn't to say that my upper body workout did not challenge my back and core. Most of these movements were unilateral single dumbbell exercises, which did stress my core and back musculature in holding things stable. I was especially careful about maintaining strong posture through my exercises, and I took longer than normal rest breaks between sets. Also, I switched from Arnold curls to Hammer curls, because I wanted less twisting motion during the movement. This proved a wise choice, as I tried an Arnold curl and didn't care for the way it twisted my torso at the top of the movement. Finally, I kept all the weights at the same level as my last workout, with the exception of bumping up the pullups by one rep from 5 to 6.

Anyway, I took my time and got through the workout in fine fashion. My back held up without much problem, though with the stiffness it was somewhat awkward getting my foot into my looped tubing for the assisted pullups. Other than that, everything went well.

Tomorrow is a rest day - no walking and no strength training. After that, I will continue walks and upper body strength training, and I am also going to put together a posterior chain and body core workout to take care of my back issues. More on this anon.

Warmup
  • 3.1 Mile Walk
Single Dumbbell Shoulder Press - Left & Right
  • Warmup Set - 5x17.5
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Warmup Set - 5x17.5
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Warmup Set - 5x22.5
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Warmup Set - 3x30
    • Rest Minutes - n/a
  • Warmup Set - 2x37.5
    • Rest Minutes - 4
  • Work Set - 5x45
    • Rest Minutes - 6
  • Work Set - 5x45
    • Rest Minutes - 6
  • Work Set - 5x45
Tubing Assisted Pullups - Blk-Blu-Org Tubes, Single Dumbbell Triceps Extension & Biceps Hammer Curl Triset
  • Pullup Repetitions - 6
  • Extension - Work Set - 5x27.5
  • Curl - Work Set - 5x31.875
    • Rest Minutes - 7
  • Pullup Repetitions - 6
    • Rest Minutes - 8
  • Pullup Repetitions - 6
Old 11-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #1238
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Monday Weekly Body Fat Composition Update
  • Date: November 5, 2012

BFC Average 2 Weeks Ago: 26.9%
BFC Average 1 Week Ago: 26.5%
Current BFC Average: 26.4%
Beginning Date for BFC - May 4, 2011 - BFC Average Then: 44.6%
Total BFC Average Lost to Date: 18.2%

Comments
My Omron BFC Average showed a drop of 0.1% this past week. Since I took a high-carb mini-break during this time, I consider this to be good progress. Usually my BFC Average spikes up during carb breaks. This time, it dropped. My composite BFC, the average of tape measure & formula BFC and Omron BFC, likewise showed a 0.1% drop this past week. So with the slight drop in my waist measurement, all the metrics concur - I made a wee bit of progress despite taking a short diet break and easing off exercise last week to help along a recuperating back injury.

Looking to next week, I actually don't expect a big drop in Omron BFC, though I do expect the tape measure & formula BFC metric to drop a fair amount. Omron BFC numbers tend to lag early on in the induction phase, and then suddenly drop. This process can take a week or two to work itself out, so next week's BFC Update might not be impressive with respect to the Omron data. But I do expect to lose a fair chunk off the waist measurement, indicating more substantial progress.

Meanwhile, four days into my induction phase as I work my way back into fat-burning ketosis, I have dropped 7.4 pounds of bodyweight. From my carb-up peak of 248.6 pounds last Friday, I am now down to 241.2 pounds this morning and dropping. Much of this is due to burned off glycogen and shed water, but some of it is fat. Unlike my last two induction phases, this one is going smoothly. Carb cravings and hunger pangs are quite minimal, my mood is good, energy levels are decent if not high, and I am not experiencing much in the way of lightheadedness. The only time I got lightheaded was briefly, towards the very end of yesterday's strength training workout, which is to be expected.

Finally, my back is doing well. It was more sore and stiff yesterday morning than I expected, which disappointed me. But it felt much better throughout the rest of the day after my workouts. Today, the soreness is minimal, but it is stiff and inflexible. I might take a short walk at lunchtime to loosen things up. Meanwhile, I am researching and assembling my Posterior Chain & Body Core Workout which I will follow regularly going forward.

BFC Readings and Average For The Past Two Weeks
The BFC Average listed below is a simple 6 day moving average. It tends to overstate current BFC slightly as it lags behind the real data, but it smooths out erratic BFC readings and shows the actual BFC rate of change over time. Readers curious to know more about how to effectively use an Omron or any other bioelectrical impedance body fat composition meter should read my previous post, "How to Get Semi-Useful Body Fat Composition Data Out of a Bioelectrical Impedance Analyzer" (WFS).

__Date___BFC Reading__BFC Average
10/22/12_____26.6%_____26.9%
10/23/12_____26.1%_____26.7%
10/24/12_____26.7%_____26.7%
10/25/12_____26.3%_____26.6%
10/26/12_____26.8%_____26.6%
10/27/12_____26.2%_____26.5%
10/28/12_____26.4%_____26.4%
10/29/12_____26.9%_____26.5%
10/30/12_____26.7%_____26.6%
10/31/12_____26.0%_____26.5%
11/01/12_____26.6%_____26.5%
11/02/12_____26.2%_____26.4%
11/03/12_____26.4%_____26.5%
11/04/12_____26.7%_____26.5%
11/05/12_____26.3%_____26.4%
Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #1239
Faisal Tuddy

Profile:

Luke,

I've been following your log for about a month, and its inspirational keep up the good work, I love the detailed meticulous logging.

Great Job!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #1240
Luke Seubert

Profile:

WOD - Walking Day
  • Date: November 6, 2012
Conditions
  • Temperature: 43 F
  • Heat Index: 43 F
  • Humidity: 57%
Comments
This brisk walk was my warmup for more upper body strength training. After yesterday's rest day, my back is feeling much better. Most of the pain is gone, though some stiffness remains. The walk loosened things up quite well, and I feel fine. I haven't bothered with the heating pad at all for the past two days, and I only took ibuprofen once the last two days, just before my strength training workout today.

My time of 44:54 is only 1:50 off my PR pace. That PR required me to jog on all of the downslopes. To get that close to my PR without any jogging at all, just fast walking, is pretty good I think. I am curious to see if I can break that 43 minute mark someday just by walking fast.

As with the last walk, I focused on maintaining a strong posture, thereby turning this into a light posterior chain exercise. While this is a more exhausting posture from which to walk, as indicated by my higher BPM counts, I do believe it helps strengthen my lower back as it recuperates.

Walk - 3.1 Flat and Hilly Miles - 5k (Current PR - 43:04 @ 124??? BPM on 09/23/12, 4.32 MPH)
  • Time: 44:54
  • Heart Rate: 142 BPM