CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Graham Fedorak

Profile:
Graham's Log-Maybe if I log it I'll stick it out!

Okay, this is it. I'm started Crossfit twice now and crashed and burned, commitment-wise, both times. I'm struggling to stick with it and figure that logging will put it out there and sufficiently shame me into getting my workouts done. I struggle with what I perceive to be the inherent narcissism in logging my workouts for others to see but.....I need help sticking with it!

Background wise, I'm an athletic 28 year old who has worked out, on and off, for well over 10 years. However, I haven't stuck with it for more than 3 months at a time since I was 19 or 20. The two big difficulties I expect to have in staying committed to exercise right now are also my greatest blessings so I definitely should not complain. First off, my wife just had a beautiful baby girl so sleep is a little harder to come by than it used to be. Secondly, although I love my job, the work environment is a bit masochistic, and the hours can be somewhat oppresive.

I would love to join a crossfit gym, but my city (Kingston, ON) doesn't have one. Until the day it does, or until my wife agrees that we don't necessarily need to park in the garage (not going to happen...), I'll be sticking with my GloboGym. Plan is to do the WOD regularly, beginning one week behind what's posted so I can make adjustments and plan accordingly. I will substitute the majority of runs for the entire winter, and will get back into running a month or so ahead of next spring's soccer season. Instead I plan to swim and am toying with the idea of doing olympmic distance Tri's next year. So far I've been swimming twice a week for three weeks and have managed to go from only swimming 4 or 5 laps in a row to getting through 800 meters. That said, my form is awful and it is a bit of a struggle to get that far.

Okay, that's it, enough blathering. Time to get off to the gym and get on the crossfit train. Starting with Barbara today!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Graham Fedorak

Profile:
Day 1

WOD: Barbara
5 rounds: 20 pull-ups, 30 push-ups, 40 sit-ups, 50 squats
rest 3 min between rounds

Warm-up-basketball x 20 min
Round 1 - 3:59
Round 2 - 6:14
Round 3 - 7:49
Round 4 - 3 pull-ups....and quit

This work-out was just brutal. The greatest limiting factor is the pull-ups, although feeling like I was going to pass out after the third round could be considered a limiting factor also. Set my record for consecutive pull-ups with 17 in a row in the first round. All in all, not thrilled with my performance here, only way to go is up.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Graham Fedorak

Profile:
Re: Graham's Log-Maybe if I log it I'll stick it out!

WOD: 135# Deadliftx15, Hang Cleansx12, Front Squatx9, Push Pressx6
5 Rounds for time

Had to scale this: my max Push Press is 145# and there's no way I could do 12 hang cleans at 135#.

Deadlift@135#
All else @95#
Total time: 29:07

This still hurt. The limiting factor was really the hanging cleans-just killed the forearms. Next time go for this at 105#, maybe even 115# (depending on how consistent I am with CF and how long it takes to come up again).

Happy at least that I'm 2/2 so far.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Graham Fedorak

Profile:
Rough Day

Managed to sneak in a WOD in the midst of a 26 hour shift yesterday.

Weighted Pull-ups 7 sets of 1 rep

30#, 35#, 40#, 45#, 55#, 60#, 65#

New PR, and cross off another Crossfit Seattle Athletic Skills goal for Level II.

My goal is to finish Level II in 6 months and, if I can manage that, Level III in one year after finishing level II. End date for the first goal is end of March 2009.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Lee Ann McCall

Profile:

Graham -

Congrats on the new PR! I'll try to keep you honest if you help me, too. I also am juggling a lot with work and life, so I miss WODs probably at least once per week. And that's even with having another CFer for a spouse!I just keep trying to get back on the schedule.

Congrats on the new baby, too. They are such a joy.

Hope to see you around and congrats again!
Lee Ann
Old 10-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Graham Fedorak

Profile:

Thanks Lee Ann, if I only miss one work-out per week I'll be doing great.

Wed Oct 15
Tried to do WOD
"Ryan"
7 muscle ups (sub 4 pull-ups, 6 seated dips)
21 burpees
5 rounds for time

Ended up doing 2 rounds at work, but had to cut it short because of too much to do.

Wed's shift went almost 30 hours so also had to take Thursday off....

Today, Fri Oct 17

"Erin"
5 rounds for time
40 # dumbbell split cleans
21 pull-ups

Finished 3 rounds in 18:43. Left arm felt like it was going to fall off and, when I took off my work-out gloves, I'd managed to rip the skin off at the base of one of my fingers.....at least that means I was working.

Tried to do 30 V-ups for Lvl II goal-made it to 23 continuously. Did some more sit-ups after.

This is a rough week....I'd be very surprised if I have many weeks this busy in my life!
Old 10-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Graham Fedorak

Profile:
re

Sun Oct 19

Rx/ed WOD was 7 rounds of 75# push press x21; 21 back extensions

At work, no back extensions, subbed V-ups.

In the end:
Round 1- 21 push press, 30 v-ups
2 - 7, 7, 7 push press, 20 v-ups
hurt L shoulder, tried less weight, but not worth it
Ended up doing some more v-ups, sit-ups and box jumps
Worked out 15-20 min, but was very disappointed with hurting my shoulder.

On the upside, achieved two Level II goals- 100 consecutive air squats, 30 v-ups.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Graham Fedorak

Profile:

Finished my hell week. Now time to fully commit to training.

Oct 22

135# Squat Clean x 10
Sit Ups x 50
8/40/6/30/4/20/2/10

Forgot my stop watch, but this didn't go badly. Had to break up second set of squat cleans with 1 min rest, but that's it.

Then, Deadlift 215# x 3 reps x 3 sets; trying to make up for the missed deadlift workout, but this was a little weak.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Graham Fedorak

Profile:
re

Oct 23

CFWU

Snatch 45x3, 65x3, 75x2, 85x1, 95x1, 105x1, 115 FAIL

The limiting factor here is my overhead squat...getting the weight up there is a breeze, it's just my shoulders being strong enough to keep it up. From now on whenever it says to do snatches I'll do a couple, and then work on improving my OH squat.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
Graham Fedorak

Profile:
re

Oct 24

Cindy: 14 rounds

Left elbow has been aching last couple of days, looking forward to a day off to rest it.