CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
Heather Imielinski

Profile:
Is there an Orthopedic?

Do we have an orthopedic that also cross fits here to help answer some questions for me?
Thanks,
Heather
CrossFit Crescent Coast
Owner/Head Coach
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Is there an Orthopedic?

Yes, what's up
Old 01-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #3
Heather Imielinski

Profile:

Hey Sean,

I recently had distal clavicle resection(a week ago today) and am wondering what can be done to speed up recovery. As of right now, I can’t raise my arm on my own, without the assistance of someone or myself to move it. Is there a timeframe for workouts, etc. I want advice from someone who is a cross fitter, not someone who doesn’t train hard(i.e., my doc). At what point can I begin overhead movements, workouts, weights, etc. Is this a week by week thing or am I looking at months before I am back to my normal 150 push press, lol
Old 01-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

it's difficult for me to give advice specifically on your case without having seen you or operated on you. Typically this is handled in the pre-operative discussion I have with my patients outlining everything from driving to lifting glasses to lifting weights. But if I had performed a distal clavicle resection on someone without any sort of repair on any tissues like the rotator cuff, biceps or labrum, I would allow someone active motion right away out of the sling followed by going to PT at 1-2 weeks and shooting for 2-3 months recovery for normal things and then lifting heavily by 4-6 months. hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
Heather Imielinski

Profile:

Hey Sean,

Thanks for your help. I think its the 4-6 months thing that I am having a hard time getting a grip on. So far I am a little over 1 week out and i can assist my arm up to 90 degrees. Still can’t get it there on my own. I may begin jogging this week. Little bits at a time I suppose. I just wanted advise from a doc/crossfitter. My doc stated that I could begin back squats at week 2, but I don’t think he realizes the strain of a 250 back squat on the shoulder….or how I can get my arm around to hold the bar.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Imielinski View Post
Hey Sean,

Thanks for your help. I think its the 4-6 months thing that I am having a hard time getting a grip on. So far I am a little over 1 week out and i can assist my arm up to 90 degrees. Still can’t get it there on my own. I may begin jogging this week. Little bits at a time I suppose. I just wanted advise from a doc/crossfitter. My doc stated that I could begin back squats at week 2, but I don’t think he realizes the strain of a 250 back squat on the shoulder….or how I can get my arm around to hold the bar.
he may be thinking air squats!, the other point is you said 250, you are going to be doing some dowel work first unfortunately until your range recovers.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
Danielle Chollet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Imielinski View Post
My doc stated that I could begin back squats at week 2, but I don’t think he realizes the strain of a 250 back squat on the shoulder….or how I can get my arm around to hold the bar.
Use a safety squat bar so you can grip it in front of you. should leave your shoulder in a more comfortable position. Just start light at first. I have seen people looking to borrow these on Denver facebook groups and craigslist after their shoulder/wrist surgery as well, so you can ask around any SC crossfit affiliate groups (they probably won't have one, but a member might or someone might know someone...) I'd let you borrow mine if you were here.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Heather Imielinski

Profile:

Thanks guys….the sad part is that I met with the PA today because my doc was away and of course she knows nothing and was like, oh sure just workout as tolerated…she didn’t even ask how high i can lift my arm, lol. I will look into a safety bar or I will use a towel to put around bar. Thanks guys!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #9
Sean Rockett

Profile:

This brings up a good point about getting this stuff outlined ahead of time with a doctor who knows your movements and goals.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
Heather Imielinski

Profile:

That was my exact point Sean.
I don’t want to hear from someone who doesn’t train the way a CrossFitter does about what I can and can’t do. I want a timeline of what movements I should be able to do and when. So far I’ve ran, done step ups, lunges, armless sit-ups and air squats.