CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Heather Imielinski

Profile:
Get Rx Equipment

Hey ALL, Happy Thanksgiving. So we are ready to open our new Affiliate in Myrtle Beach and we got all Get Rxd Equipment. We are happy with some of it and not with some. Anyone out there have any opinions? One question I have to anyone else who has it, what the heck did you clean your plates with? They have an awful smell to them that we cant get to go away!!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Jason Petrillo

Profile:
Re: Get Rx Equipment

Most bumpers come coated with something that smells less than pleasant, but you can 1. try to wipe it off, or 2. just start using them and the coating will rub off soon. GETRXd has never let me down with equipment, and I buy a lot from them. I live 30 min from their warehouse so I've had the luxury of sitting and talking to Michael and his dad about equipment, giving input and whatnot. I also was the first one to purchase their CrossRig (RigZilla). Hope it all pans out for you.

Jason
Jason Petrillo, Friendswood TX, 5'6"/158#, 2:26 Diane, 2:31 Fran, 175# Strict Press... none of the other numbers are worth noting!
Www.528CrossFit.com
Old 11-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Adam Morden

Profile:

It's not just the packing/ mold release grease that smells - the rubber itself will have to off gas - it can take a few weeks or more before the smell is no longer noticeable. The more airflow and ventilation you can get in your space the better, and do wipe the pumpers down, you can even use a rubber floor cleaner on them to help cut the grease. Mostly it's just time.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Morden View Post
It's not just the packing/ mold release grease that smells - the rubber itself will have to off gas - it can take a few weeks or more before the smell is no longer noticeable. The more airflow and ventilation you can get in your space the better, and do wipe the pumpers down, you can even use a rubber floor cleaner on them to help cut the grease. Mostly it's just time.
Yeah, this is right. It'll pass.

I did hear of someone who basically "bathed" their bumpers in kitty litter to pull off some of the grease, but personally I think that's too much trouble.

And nothing aside from time (that I am aware of) is going to fix the outgassing thing. Just put the bumpers to use for a while, and it'll go away.

And make sure you don't be upset with Get Rx'd about this. This is a pretty standard industry stuff.

- Mark
Old 12-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Michael Stoll

Profile:

We ordered the bulk of our equipment from Get RXd, and were mostly happy. Price was good, shipping was smooth, they were easy to work with. We bought all Hi-Temps from Rogue (slightly cheaper price, even with the shipping).

Down sides:

1. All of our Oly bars were bent enough to be out of spec, but still usable, so they gave us a discount and we just kept them. Bought additional bars from Rogue. Those are the ones I use when I work out.

2. GHDs weren't as solid as I would have liked. They haven't broken, but I get just a little worried when a heavy dude hops on.

3. The flat benches didn't assemble square; they rock just a little bit corner to corner. Again, they gave us a discount for those.

Other than that, good experience, and they did take care of us when there were problems. We'd use them again because of the price, but I'm still going to give the nod to Rogue for overall quality and workmanship.

Just a side note: we built pretty much everything else in the box, including our rigs, so pretty much only bought equipment we didn't feel comfortable / capable of manufacturing ourselves.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Discounting what I pay for less than par equipment is not what I want from a company. WTF do I want bars that already bend? Even for free I would not want them!
Ditto for benches. If equipment is not how it is supposed to be when purchased new, I want my money back; not to pay less.

You already chose to pay less by going with them....Just paying even less is silly.

FWIW, I have bought a few slamballs from them a while back, and all holding up and have a 3yr warranty. I would not purchase any equipment that is going to take a big beating(bumpers and bars mainly) from anyone but one of the larger companies.

My 2c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stoll View Post
We ordered the bulk of our equipment from Get RXd, and were mostly happy. Price was good, shipping was smooth, they were easy to work with. We bought all Hi-Temps from Rogue (slightly cheaper price, even with the shipping).

Down sides:

1. All of our Oly bars were bent enough to be out of spec, but still usable, so they gave us a discount and we just kept them. Bought additional bars from Rogue. Those are the ones I use when I work out.

2. GHDs weren't as solid as I would have liked. They haven't broken, but I get just a little worried when a heavy dude hops on.

3. The flat benches didn't assemble square; they rock just a little bit corner to corner. Again, they gave us a discount for those.

Other than that, good experience, and they did take care of us when there were problems. We'd use them again because of the price, but I'm still going to give the nod to Rogue for overall quality and workmanship.

Just a side note: we built pretty much everything else in the box, including our rigs, so pretty much only bought equipment we didn't feel comfortable / capable of manufacturing ourselves.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
Branden Bates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Discounting what I pay for less than par equipment is not what I want from a company. WTF do I want bars that already bend? Even for free I would not want them!
Ditto for benches. If equipment is not how it is supposed to be when purchased new, I want my money back; not to pay less.

You already chose to pay less by going with them....Just paying even less is silly.

FWIW, I have bought a few slamballs from them a while back, and all holding up and have a 3yr warranty. I would not purchase any equipment that is going to take a big beating(bumpers and bars mainly) from anyone but one of the larger companies.

My 2c.
I have to agree. I want my equipment to hold up. When we opened our CF, we were debating between GetRx'd and Rogue. Once we found out that GetRx'd was made in China, we went Rogue. Cost us a bit more, but no issues. I don't want discounted, damaged equipment. My 2 cents!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Mike Lian

Profile:

Hey Guys,

We appreciate the feedback. No company is going to be perfect and obviously Get RX'd is no different. I am happy to hear that the Get RX'd team took care of you guys

When there is a problem, we generally offer a full refund for returned equipment, replacement, OR credit to keep the equipment. I believe in this case, the decision was made to keep the equipment for credit back on the account instead of a full return.

Since our issues with Crossfit Hillcrest's order...
Quote:
We ordered the bulk of our equipment from Get RXd, and were mostly happy.
Down sides:
1. All of our Oly bars were bent enough to be out of spec, but still usable, so they gave us a discount and we just kept them. Bought additional bars from Rogue.
We had some batches of bars that were out of spec, so we posted a video on youtube and linked it to our product page showing the issue after Hillcrest made us aware. Thankfully, we have since resolved this issue when we released the WOD Bars 3.0 about half a year ago and have had no reports of bent bars since. We learned a lot during this process and I don't think we will let that sort of mistake happen again.

Michael - I will send you one of our current bars so that you can see the differences. Look out for my PM!

Quote:
I haven't heard of this before, people are generally very happy with the GHDs. Which part of it do you find to be less solid than you liked? We've upgraded this item since your order as well, although nothing to affect the issue you're speaking of. We've improved the powder coat and made the footplate larger as recommended on this thread: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...t=79005&page=4 (WFS)

Quote:
We had a batch of flat benches that were made incorrectly. We had been making flat benches with no issues for a while before then and currently have no issues either. At the time, we put the ones that had issues on clearance and the regular ones in our normal listing. Their is a youtube video describing the issue of the clearance benches. From ya'll's feedback, I think we should've just scrapped the pieces that had issues and made new pieces instead of selling them at clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stoll View Post
Very glad to hear you would use Get RX'd again even with the issues you had. Whenever you do use us again, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the strides we've made since your initial order!

What we want you guys to know is that we're working hard every day to make budget-friendly equipment that meets or exceeds the community's standards. With the fast-paced growth of the company, there are some mistakes that could be made. If/when this happens, we do what we can to make it right and believe the community will tell you we took care of them like in this situation.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Theresa Stephens

Profile:

I wasn't involved in this thread, but I just want to say I admire the follow-up of the company in question. Great customer service!
Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
Brian Strump

Profile:

I have nothing bad to say, we bought some slamballs and abmats since they were cheaper than others, and happen to be pieces that seemed hard to not make right.

My comments were solely at the person that posted, and his experience; not that of GetRx'd in general.

I've read of many people on the boards very happy with their purchases.