CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #101
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Huge Decline in Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam McKarry View Post
Why do these articles generate such venom from the CF world?? Are we so insecure as a group that any set of comments like this means we must validate ourselves because of it. So the guy wrote his view point, he thinks CF is becoming watered down because of the Level 1 Cert entitling people to affiliate, who cares.
Because it was done immaturely and rudely?

That's why there was such a backlash on these forums in the Qualifier workouts/standards thread,

That's why there's such a backlash about this.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do things...Although he brings up excellent points, his message is partially lost because of the way he went about it. If he kept it classy i'm sure this discussion would be a lot less defensive. (though what i've read up until now has been mostly been pretty good stuff)
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #102
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I think we also need to consider the audience he was writing for though. I don't think he was trying to come forth with a professional thesis here. He was posting a response to a question apparently many of his members or fans had. Seems like he just let it flow forth from his brain without editing it or anything like that. I don't think the CF Messageboards were his intended target for that blog post.
It's a blog post, he wasn't trying to be professional with it. He was just presenting it in a real way.
How many of you use harsh language in your everyday life when talking to your friends? Basically what he did here.
He didn't write it to the CF MBs nor does he probably care if anybody is offended. And I don't think he's writing it as a plea to people to hear what he's saying or as some well thought out criticism. It was just a response to a question really.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #103
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
Because it was done immaturely and rudely
I think this reflects the insecure part Liam was talking about.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #104
Jared Ray

Profile:

If he kept it classy i'm sure this discussion would be a lot less defensive.

Doubt it.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #105
Richard West

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I think we also need to consider the audience he was writing for though. I don't think he was trying to come forth with a professional thesis here. He was posting a response to a question apparently many of his members or fans had. Seems like he just let it flow forth from his brain without editing it or anything like that. I don't think the CF Messageboards were his intended target for that blog post.
It's a blog post, he wasn't trying to be professional with it. He was just presenting it in a real way.
How many of you use harsh language in your everyday life when talking to your friends? Basically what he did here.
He didn't write it to the CF MBs nor does he probably care if anybody is offended. And I don't think he's writing it as a plea to people to hear what he's saying or as some well thought out criticism. It was just a response to a question really.
I tend to disagree; it is the only posting on the greyskullarticles.blogspot blog which there is a link to on the main site. He seems to consider it an "article" worthy of its own blog, rather bigger than a "musing". I think he's just one of those guys who thinks it's reasonable to talk like a foulmouthed 15-year-old about everything. CrossFit online culture has its classless moments as well; it's not unheard of to see a "thesis" written with such unprofessionalism.

The workouts posted on the main site are certainly not a CrossFit program, even if the blog/WOD format looks familiar. His post establishes that he values strength above all other fitness measures (or even coaching skills), so it's not surprising that he chucked bodyweight, gymnastics, metcon, and endurance elements along with the affiliation.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #106
Jeff Yan

Profile:

rambling...

-----

Despite my differences with JP's reasons, I can respect his decision. If he no longer feels he identifies himself with CrossFit, whether CF has changed or whether he has, there's no crime in that. For him to go off to do his own thing, this can only make the worldwide fitness community stronger. If he succeeds in coming up with a more effective methodology and shares it, then everybody benefits. The world will never make huge strides if we all do the same thing.

-----

Regarding bad affiliates run by bad/inexperienced trainers, serious consumers will be able to sniff out what stinks and what works. Those are the people that an affiliate would want anyway. Who cares about the people who can't tell a good CF product from a bad one? Those aren't the people you really want at your CF gym.

Newbie CFers who put any thought at all into what they're doing will do their homework by checking out the main site and then deciding for themselves whether or not they like what their local affiliate has to offer and whether or not the trainers and programming are up to acceptable standards.

If you're concerned that people won't be able to tell the difference between your superior CF gym and the poser CF gym, then, as suggested before, perhaps you are insecure and lack faith in yourself.

If your gym is supposed to be stocked with a small group of dedicated elite monsters who ought to know better, then how could you legitimately feel threatened by a sub par affiliate that so clearly isn't the real deal and obviously doesn't have the same perspective on fitness as you'd expect or require from your clients?

Don't underestimate the wisdom of your target demographic and don't market yourself to the crowd that can't tell you apart from Curves.

Discontinuing affiliation doesn't really solve this problem at all. It puts $2,000 back in your pocket, but it decreases your market awareness. Association with inferior CF affiliates will only deter those who don't have the initiative to do further research. Those are the same people who won't have the initiative to do CrossFit or lift heavy or run the occasional 5k.

-----

edit: I just realized Alec pretty much said the same thing.

Last edited by Jeff Yan : 10-09-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #107
Matt Halmy

Profile:

Lets Define a couple things as to bring this conversation in line:

#1---CROSSFIT IS OPEN SOURCE......The nature of open source is that you give up a certain degree of continuity control and image control for dissemination, innovation, and user experience. Its not "bad" vs. "good" programming when that is simply the inherent nature of an open source program. If the grayskull guy wants to do it his way, then thats open source man, if the "real crossfitters" are going to start creating there own definition of what an affiliate should be and teach, then they are in for some real frustration.

#2---IM A GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT......as are many of YOU, which is why we get all warm and fuzzy at the thought of anaerobic debt. On the other hand, the majority of people don't like the pain and difficult nature of exercise (see the article about the guy from Philly). I.E. affiliates dumb it down, cause not everyone is crazy like we are.

E.G.---OPEN SOURCE means its gonna change from whatever you think or want it to be, REMEMBER that not everyone likes to torture themselves physically, BE A GREAT TRAINER (Alec Hanson, Andy Petranek...etc etc. they all said it).
im out
Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #108
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
So basically you're saying that if I was to do this:

4 rounds for time:
400 meter run
25 ring dips
25 Dynamax med ball cleans
25 1.5 pood Kettelbell Swings

That I'm doing CrossFit and only CrossFit?
I think what he's getting at is:

"Would you have programmed and performed this WOD -FOR TIME, prior to any knowledge of Crossfit methodology...?"
Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #109
Louis H. Poulin II

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post

"Would you have programmed and performed this WOD -FOR TIME, prior to any knowledge of Crossfit methodology...?"
are you implying that people didn't time metcons before crossfit?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #110
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post

Doing things for time is not something new. Metcon was around before CrossFit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis H. Poulin II View Post
are you implying that people didn't time metcons before crossfit?
That's what I'm wondering.