CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Harry Mott

Profile:
Boxing

Just thought i'd start a thread about boxing.
I still watch boxing, and i find it more respectable than MMA, but thats just my opinion. So, if anyone has any thoughts or comments about recent or old fights, or just the revival of boxing, leave them here!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
Matthew Barrett

Profile:
Re: Boxing

Good on you for starting one. I started a thread about the TDF2008 and it just turned into a vent for people to say what is wrong with cycling.

Cant comment much on the boxing side of it, im into Thai more than boxing
Old 04-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Boxing definitely is where it's at.

First of all, the number of boxers in the world is much, much larger than the number of MMA fighters. Couple that with the vast knowledge of technique and training developed during boxing's legnthy history, and you'll see that the level of competition between two elite boxers is well above that of two elite MMA fighters. (if MMA keeps going, though, this will change)

Then you've got the beauty of the sport. It really is much more like a sport than MMA, which is more like a fight in a parking lot. If boxing is like football, then MMA is like a variation of football where you can do anything to get the ball downfield.

Then there's the sportsmanship of boxing versus the sheer brutality of MMA. To me, there's just something unappealing about a huge guy straddling an opponent who got knocked down and throwing punch after punch, trying his damndest to crush his opponent's head into the floor like a melon. In boxing, when someone gets knocked down, you let them get back up and fight.

These are just my opinions and why I enjoy watching boxing more than MMA. Obviously there are people who disagree, and that's why they enjoy watching MMA. To each his own.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

To start off, I've trained in both Thia kick boxing and gracie ju jitsu. You said the sheer brutality of of MMA vs Boxing. The only way to win in boxing is to beat somebody in the head so much, that not only do you knock them down, but to the point where they can't get up for the next 10 seconds.

You will notice in MMA, most fights that don't go to desicion are tko (ref stoppages). As soon as an MMA fighter is stunned and unable to defend himself, the fight is stopped. There is no rest period, there is no 10 seconds to regain your self. This means there is much less damage to both fighters. In additon to ref stoppage, there are also submission.

As far as the history and length of MMA, Pancretia, a combination of wrestling and striking, was an original ancient olympic event. Ju-jitsu and muay thia, the two primary styles of MMA, both date back about 2000 years, whereas Queensland rules boxing dates back only to 1681.

I'm not a big fan boxing, but it is a great sport. But be very careful about what you say about MMA.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
To start off, I've trained in both Thia kick boxing and gracie ju jitsu. You said the sheer brutality of of MMA vs Boxing. The only way to win in boxing is to beat somebody in the head so much, that not only do you knock them down, but to the point where they can't get up for the next 10 seconds.

You will notice in MMA, most fights that don't go to desicion are tko (ref stoppages). As soon as an MMA fighter is stunned and unable to defend himself, the fight is stopped. There is no rest period, there is no 10 seconds to regain your self. This means there is much less damage to both fighters. In additon to ref stoppage, there are also submission.
The brutality I'm referring to deals with the nature of what's going on. When someone gets knocked down in boxing, you let them get back up if they can. When someone gets knocked down in MMA, you straddle them and repeatedly try to drive your fist through their head into the ground. Your point about physical damage -- besides sounding like the parroting of a line fed to you by an instructor -- is irrelevant since the injury rates in both sports are about the same.

Quote:
As far as the history and length of MMA, Pancretia, a combination of wrestling and striking, was an original ancient olympic event. Ju-jitsu and muay thia, the two primary styles of MMA, both date back about 2000 years, whereas Queensland rules boxing dates back only to 1681.
And UFC rules date back to when?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
Jack Westman

Profile:

Personally I like boxing and MMA. I watch both and train both. There is a high level of technique in both sports, it is just hard to see until you have actually trained in that sport. I love watching a good boxing match, grappling match or MMA event.

If you are hardcore "Boxing is great MMA sucks" or vice versa, then I'd suggest you take a few months, find a school and study that sport. I challenge you to keep your opinion about the sport once you actually have built an understanding.

Remember that we get better by addressing our weaknesses, physical as well as mental. Normally a bias comes from a lack of understanding, build the understanding and the bias will go away. Then you get to enjoy two sports.

And a side benefit of "Learning and playing a new sport".

This applies to everything except Golf. I'll never understand it.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
Kevin M Nord

Profile:

I'm glad to see a boxing thread started up. I've just started both boxing training and MMA training and have loved every bit of both.

What I don't get is the Boxing vs. MMA arguments that crop up... can't we all accept the fact that we like pounding on others / getting pounded on and be content from there?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:16 AM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I really didn't want to start an "MMA vs. Boxing" argument. I much prefer MMA, as was originally stated, but I have nothing against boxing. Much like I prefer rugby but have nothing against football. I just get tired of "Boxing an art and a sport and MMA is just violence". At the core of all combative sports is the goal to physically dominate you opponent. They are all violent to some extent, and difference is very subtle.

If my remarks came off as disparing boxing, I assure that was not my intent. My remarks were meant to point out that MMA, at the highest levels, requires skill and training akin to any other sport; it is not just a bunch of thugs, as will be witnessed by Tank Abbots horrible UFC record (God I hate him).

And while the UFC dates back to november 1993, other countries, Japan, Brazil, Russia have a long and rich history of combative contests involving striking and grappling.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I just get tired of "Boxing an art and a sport and MMA is just violence". At the core of all combative sports is the goal to physically dominate you opponent. They are all violent to some extent, and difference is very subtle.
I don't think it's so subtle. Like I said in the analogy I gave, imagine a version of football where you can advance the ball downfield any way you can. The objective is still the same as regular football, but how it's carried out is much different.

Quote:
My remarks were meant to point out that MMA, at the highest levels, requires skill and training akin to any other sport; it is not just a bunch of thugs, as will be witnessed by Tank Abbots horrible UFC record (God I hate him).
MMA obviously requires intense training. But, compared to boxing, the emphasis is more on physicality (fitness, size, toughness) than skill (reflexes, coordination, tactics).

And I certainly don't think MMA is full of thugs. In fact, it's boxing that is married to thug culture, largely because it's mainly practiced by impoverished youths who see it as their best chance to become wealthy. MMA, on the other hand, doesn't have the lucrative appeal boxing does, so its practicioners are just people who want to fight.

Also, to the guy who said we shouldn't argue and instead go out and take up every sport to learn about it: debate is a great way to hear and understand an opposing viewpoint and, as a consequence, further understand your own. We're not getting personal, so why stop?

"He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that."
Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
Celio Silva

Profile:

[quote=Joe Cavazos;300129]

...But, compared to boxing, the emphasis is more on physicality (fitness, size, toughness) than skill (reflexes, coordination, tactics).

Not at all Joe! Just think how much skill training a MMA fighter needs: boxing + BJJ + Muai Thay + wrestling !!!

Any of these disciplines by themselves require an imenese amount of training to acheive proficiency. Now, how much more skill training one must have in order to become proficient in all of these ..... and not in a isolated manner, but in a continuos flow???!!!

MMA is still largely underrated & underestimated. The sweet science is indeed sweet, but MMA takes combat skills to a whole other level.