CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Brian Gregory

Profile:
Critique my BS, please

I have been doing Xfit for approx 1yr and have never had any form of instruction on the lifts other than videos on the site and friends at work. I perform all WODs at my home and some at the FD. I know I need to visit affiliates but not in my budget at this time. Please critique and all suggestions and comments welcomed.

I notice small butt wink, depth looks just below parallel to me. This, http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...26195355&hl=en is the 4th set, 255# of the recent 5x5 workout.

Is the angle in the vid okay? I would like to post vids of the other major lifts also.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Brian Gregory

Profile:
Re: Critique my BS, please

Link is safe for work and family.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Look down and force your knees out more. First will improve the hip drive, second will keep your knees healthy.
As far as butt wink - it's not bad and forcing the knees out will improve it anyways. Plus squatting is known to stretch you out for squatting.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

what leonid said, and get that bucket out of there. Having a marker for depth is usefull for high rep activities and if you are having trouble figuring out where full depth is. Once you find full depth though the object can be more of a problem in two ways: 1) it is extra clutter behind you that you can trip on or bump into and with weight on your shoulders that can be very bad and 2) it predisopses you to pause for a moment and sit on the object which kills your hamstring and adductor contraction out of the bottom of the squat effectivly known as the bounce out of the bottom. Having it there does not garentee those things will happen, but why add even the potential of problems if you do not get a benefit out of it?

-Robert
Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

I agree with both of these guys - especially about getting rid of that bucket. Even though you don't have a mirror, your head is acting the same is if there was one there. I'd draw a spot on the wall to stare at a couple feet off the ground.

The angle is good for some aspects, but it's hard to tell if the bar is traveling in a straight up and down path. Example: my girlfriend is fighting a tendency to get the bar too far forward over her toes - something that wouldn't really be easy to spot in a video from that angle.

Depth looks pretty good, but honestly, with your build, I'd like to see you going even lower. I think it'd get rid of that butt wink more quickly.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Brian Gregory

Profile:

Thanks for the advice and tips. I appreciate it. I don't usually use a bucket but I was wondering what my depth looked like, versus the feel.

Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Brian Gregory

Profile:

Jacob, thanks for commenting. I feel like when I go lower the butt wink is more pronounced. Do you think this should concern me?

I'll try to reshoot the vid from the side next time. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gregory View Post
Jacob, thanks for commenting. I feel like when I go lower the butt wink is more pronounced. Do you think this should concern me?

I'll try to reshoot the vid from the side next time. Thank you.
My girlfriend had some uber-badonka-donk-butt-wink when she first started squatting (good thing she doesn't read this, she'd kill me...). Going lower right off the bat, and keeping the weight reasonable (easier for girls - she could care less what weight is on the bar, there's less ego involved) took care of it very quickly - I'd say within a month? She still has a very minor amount, so I'd say the improvement curve is something like an 80/20 curve.

Butt wink happens. Don't let it concern you. I have a little left, I don't mind much. Gives people something to stare at in the globogym.

Rip also suggests the following stretch for the hams: AFTER your workout, while you're still warm, bend over, grab your toes, and shove your butt up high. Hold for 30 seconds, repeat daily forever. Something like that. I've been trying it lately and it seems to help with that last little bit.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Brian Gregory

Profile:

Guess I'm going lower from now on and I'll update on the butt wink. I just always thought the wink should be gone before going lower, I like this idea better. Thanks again. (Your girl shouldn't be mad, cause there is nothing wrong with a badonk-a-donk!)

I always try to do stretches, including that one, after working out and when I think about it.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gregory View Post
(Your girl shouldn't be mad, cause there is nothing wrong with a badonk-a-donk!)

Well, now that she can do "big plates" (135) the correct way, she's earned the right to laugh at 95% of the "squatters" we see in the gym, and draws more than her fair share of ogling when she gets under the bar, especially if I'm not around.

Anyway, good luck; let us know how it goes! I took some time off from squats and am getting back into the groove myself. Here's to new PRs for everyone.