CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #41
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: The Official Smolov Support Thread

Meso day 1 when I leave work today. On Friday I did my last set of the intro cycle.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #42
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

about to embark on 5x9 of 200

Last edited by Bill M. Hesse : 08-14-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #43
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I already feel the hurt locker I am going to be in tomorrow
Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #44
Keith Miller

Profile:

The first two days are the worst, but if you push through them, the soreness eventually goes away somewhat!!! I found that my legs were just generally achy during the time I was doing this program!!

Good luck with it, and try and foam roll and stretch in between workouts as much as you can!!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #45
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

5x7 for 215 tomorrow morning before I teach class at work....woot
Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #46
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I just realized I did a whole extra set of 9 yesterday....what a fool
Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #47
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I quit. Messed up my lower back. I guess it was just too much volume? There was no moment where I just felt like "ah yeah I just hurt my back." after the third day it felt tired and then the next day it was just really sore. So I rested it the rest of the week and it was feeling better so I did yesterday's workout, which was 330lbs for 2 sets of 2. I used a belt and felt good during the sets, but today I'm really sore again. So I'm gonna lay off the squats for a week or two, get rested and then probably jump back onto 5/3/1.

It's too bad because so far it felt great. All the weights went up super fast on the 3 intro days and even yesterday. My legs were never even sore. I felt really strong. That third day was just too much for the smaller back muscles I guess.

Good luck to the rest of you and I'll keep following the thread

You win Chris
Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #48
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I quit. Messed up my lower back. I guess it was just too much volume? There was no moment where I just felt like "ah yeah I just hurt my back." after the third day it felt tired and then the next day it was just really sore. So I rested it the rest of the week and it was feeling better so I did yesterday's workout, which was 330lbs for 2 sets of 2. I used a belt and felt good during the sets, but today I'm really sore again. So I'm gonna lay off the squats for a week or two, get rested and then probably jump back onto 5/3/1.

It's too bad because so far it felt great. All the weights went up super fast on the 3 intro days and even yesterday. My legs were never even sore. I felt really strong. That third day was just too much for the smaller back muscles I guess.

Good luck to the rest of you and I'll keep following the thread

You win Chris
Haha. Maybe try doing some back extensions, good mornings and RDL's for a few months, then give it another try?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #49
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Yeah I definitely think my back muscles just aren't used to that volume. I usually only squat once per week. Granted I deadlift once per week too, but the volume is still exceptionally lower. I'm not sure if I'll try it again or not though. At least for a while. Not that I think its dangerous all of a sudden because it messed me up or anything,but I don't think I was giving 5/3/1 it's due credit. I mean at the start of this I squatted 390 after a few cycles. My best ever. I was reading a QA with Jim Wendler and apparently this isnt uncommon. Alot of people find that their maxes are growing even though their work sets might seem to be going up at a snails pace. That's how I felt, but I guess the slow steady progression is the beauty of the program so I'll give it it's fair shake.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #50
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

all i can say is my hammies are dead meat at the moment. sorry to hear it matt.