CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Zack Quilici

Profile:
Wall mounted pull up set up

I attached a picture and was wondering if anybody can help me find something like this or lead me to a website? Got about 1500sq ft of workspace and I want to save space! Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	13010  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Wall mounted pull up set up

Looks like a bunch of these:

http://www.roguefitness.com/p3-pullup-system.php wfs
Old 10-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Zack Quilici

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Looks like a bunch of these:

http://www.roguefitness.com/p3-pullup-system.php wfs
Yea you are right, but it looks like those are combined
Thanks I'll look into the rogue one
Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Looks like you can buy just brackets in bulk, and get whatever length of 1.25" OD pipe you need to string through it.

Probably can do the same sort of thing with other brands too, though I'm not sure.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Zack Quilici

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Looks like you can buy just brackets in bulk, and get whatever length of 1.25" OD pipe you need to string through it.

Probably can do the same sort of thing with other brands too, though I'm not sure.
I'm trying to find if I can do a system like that on a wood wall?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Timothy Mabe

Profile:

Find a metal fabricator in your area and they can probably make that exact system for you at a really inexpensive cost.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Mabe View Post
Find a metal fabricator in your area and they can probably make that exact system for you at a really inexpensive cost.
This.

Exercise equipment is GROSSLY overpriced. No sense in paying for a name or someone's overhead. Find a fab shop or machine shop, even just a local high school shop class, they can build you that rack for a fraction of the price.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Mike Gin

Profile:

If you are training people on it the only issue with going with a high school to fab this up is liability. If it were to fail and someone got seriously injured hopefully your insurance policy is up to date and has good limits.

If you've got a bunch of people on this thing doing thousands of reps over its lifetime you want to make sure it lasts. And it probably will. However, what if that 10th grader's weld wasn't so great? It's one thing if it is just you training on it, but it sounds like you've got a lot of space to work with and many people will be on it.

So while it is more expensive to purchase it from a reputable supplier, you have at least some potential recourse should something fail. Also, reputable companies have QA/QC checks, etc. to ensure a quality product. I'm not saying don't go with the high school fab shop, just throwing out some info for you to consider when making your decision.

Your question about mounting on a wood wall - guess it really depends how it is constructed. That is potentially quite a cantilevered load you'll be putting on it. If it is some cheap wall just to separate tenant spaces made of 2x4's I'd be careful. I've seen them - they aren't structural just a divider. Wood is strong but sometimes inner walls are pretty weak and aren't designed to support anything. If you've got 2x6 or 2x8 lumber in the walls you should be fine as typically they don't waste money on lumber that substantial unless it is there for a reason.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gin View Post
If you are training people on it the only issue with going with a high school to fab this up is liability. If it were to fail and someone got seriously injured hopefully your insurance policy is up to date and has good limits.

If you've got a bunch of people on this thing doing thousands of reps over its lifetime you want to make sure it lasts. And it probably will. However, what if that 10th grader's weld wasn't so great? It's one thing if it is just you training on it, but it sounds like you've got a lot of space to work with and many people will be on it.

So while it is more expensive to purchase it from a reputable supplier, you have at least some potential recourse should something fail. Also, reputable companies have QA/QC checks, etc. to ensure a quality product. I'm not saying don't go with the high school fab shop, just throwing out some info for you to consider when making your decision.

Your question about mounting on a wood wall - guess it really depends how it is constructed. That is potentially quite a cantilevered load you'll be putting on it. If it is some cheap wall just to separate tenant spaces made of 2x4's I'd be careful. I've seen them - they aren't structural just a divider. Wood is strong but sometimes inner walls are pretty weak and aren't designed to support anything. If you've got 2x6 or 2x8 lumber in the walls you should be fine as typically they don't waste money on lumber that substantial unless it is there for a reason.
best advice here.