CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
Nada Hassan

Profile:
crossfit exercises that could be done alongside an Olympic lifting program?

I plan to go to an Olympic lifting club after the open is finished for maybe 3-5 months to learn technique and get my numbers higher. I know you guys believe that each should be done separately. (Lifting and endurance) but can I also work on getting my numbers up for stuff like muscle ups, chest to bar, handstand pushups ,Etc . So I'm still going to be working strength work no metcons or aerobic endurance stuff . How can incorporate these movements with my future Olympic lifting program, or if I shouldn't be working them at all?(I believe the program runs 3 or 4 days a week)
Old 03-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Philipp Lendner

Profile:
Re: crossfit exercises that could be done alongside an Olympic lifting program?

Depends a bit on how high the volume of the Oly program is. E. g. I use gymnastics as my main core training exercises (at the end of each Oly workout). If your Oly program calls for certain movements to be performed as core training, than there is little room left. Same thing if the general volume of the training is really high.
However, if your program just calls for "core work" without specifying the exercises, then you are free to go for it. In case of doubt, ask the coach of your club. Maybe he is OK if you use HSPUs instead of Shoulder Presses.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada Hassan View Post
I plan to go to an Olympic lifting club after the open is finished for maybe 3-5 months to learn technique and get my numbers higher. I know you guys believe that each should be done separately. (Lifting and endurance) but can I also work on getting my numbers up for stuff like muscle ups, chest to bar, handstand pushups ,Etc . So I'm still going to be working strength work no metcons or aerobic endurance stuff . How can incorporate these movements with my future Olympic lifting program, or if I shouldn't be working them at all?(I believe the program runs 3 or 4 days a week)
See if you can find my Conjugate CrossFit article I wrote for the CF Journal. You can sub the O-lifts for the powerlifting movements and use the template.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Nada Hassan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
See if you can find my Conjugate CrossFit article I wrote for the CF Journal. You can sub the O-lifts for the powerlifting movements and use the template.
It says it's only available for subscribers :/
Old 03-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
It says it's only available for subscribers :/
You could subscribe, it is very inexpensive . An no, I reap no financial reward from it.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:50 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If you're young (which you are) and have the time and energy (aka eat some snacks and enough meals), it shouldn't be hard to throw in BW CF stuff.

Just bare in mind this will affect your WL programming as it will be extra assistance work. So a lot of this would depend on the programming at that club in the first place.

Pulling for example, especially in volume such as doing a bunch of reps in kipping PU or strict can affect your pulling strength in the snatch and especially the clean the next day.

Pressing movements can tighten up your shoulders for WL the next day. Combined Pull/Press movements obviously the same issues.

To note, as a beginner, you'd probably only be working with weights that are not nearly your max to focus on form. This generally is between 65-80% of max, often done in singles, doubles, and triples (and possibly even complexes).

So that might lean you the energy to go do a bunch of BW stuff afterwards.

It's not as much of an issue with stuff like DU, Pistols, T2B, skin the cats (though they can tax the grip and shoulder musculature).

So basically, yes it can be done but all depends and is a careful balance.

I would suspect that the WL coach would be kind of irritated if you come and can hit positions and are tired and not recovering well because you changing the programming by adding in a bunch of CF stuff.

One of your young guys at the club would often play around with gymnastics/BW stuff after WL or on off days. Also bare in mind, he was young, strong as bull with good work capacity (not that he ever did CF or was interested in doing so).
Old 03-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
(I believe the program runs 3 or 4 days a week)
It is a simple matter of recovery and priorities. First make sure you eat enough and sleep enough.

If you do a M-T-TH-F Olympic program you have three time slots to work with for other training.

After your Tuesday & Friday Olympic workouts and Saturday AM. This still gives you two complete rest days Wednesday and Sunday.

Any met-cons you do should not create soreness (rowing, assault bike and low rep/ high rounds strength endurance work done around 50% of your max lifts)

Skill/strength work would be best. Practicing linking MU, handstand walks, start and stop DU, triple unders and so on. Not going for max reps but just improving skills.

An example would be:
For 8:00
odd: 2 linked MU
even: 15 double unders, stop, 15 double unders

These kinds of "met-cons" will allow you to maintain your CrossFit skills and endurance without wrecking you Olympic program. Always work on weakest skills the most. To do well in CrossFit you have to be very well rounded. You can't a have weak skill.

Finial note is listen to your Olympic coach. If he or she says your not coming in fresh ready to do your best work then you need to back off.