CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Brandyn Miller

Profile:
Try to Achieve 10% Body Fat

I have been doing crossfit for 4 months now (5 days a week). I started out around 18% body fat and have dropped to what I would say is 15-16%. I am 5'10" and 167 lbs. and lost 30 lbs with Weight Watchers last year. However since starting crossfit I started following a more Paleo like plan but have been finding it more difficult to follow (Monday-Friday I'm fine but weekends fall apar and I have difficulty working it into everyday life). I really want to achieve my goal of 10-12% body fat especially after putting in years of hard work and am so close but I feel like something isn't clicking I am seeing large gains in muscle but not so much in my body fat decreasing. Any tips or advice you have?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Try to Achieve 10% Body Fat

You're 5'10" and 167lbs and you want to lose more weight?

If you're currently at that height/weight/bodyfat it sounds like you're skinny-fat. Focus on adding muscle mass rather than cutting fat and I think you'll be a lot happier with how you look and what the bodyfat readings say. For you to get to 10% bodyfat with your current amount of lean body mass you'd have to cut 10lbs of pure fat which would be pretty difficult and would leave you tiny.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

post up your meals during the week and weekend. what does your training schedule look like?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Brandyn Miller

Profile:

Eric, no I am not trying to lose more weight. I would like to swap the body fat for muscle but feel like I've hit a wall over the last month and have been struggling diet wise.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn Miller View Post
.... (Monday-Friday I'm fine but weekends fall apar and I have difficulty working it into everyday life)....?
Dont fall apart on the weekends. Your weekends are likely keeping you from changing anymore than you already have. 10% body fat will require you to be very strict IMO. You must resist those actions that make you fat.

I am the same 5-10 - 165lb....and would like to think I'm 10% bf, but close if not. It has also been my goal to hit strength PR's and stay 165. Pounds and Pounds of greens and plenty of fruit is what I do. I eat and eliminate 3 times a day. Nothing stays inside. Hit the strength training hard, and be strict with food, and you can do it. Also understand that longer metcons do not always equal muscle gain. When I transitioned from longer metcons to an Oly lifting program, my body changed overnight (maybe from shock, but still). I mean, Oly lift 5 or 6 days a week...sn & c&j, Mikes gym(<-i did that), Outlaw, CFFB, WS, SQUAT A LOT...something other than mainsite for muscle building.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Eric, no I am not trying to lose more weight. I would like to swap the body fat for muscle but feel like I've hit a wall over the last month and have been struggling diet wise.
What are some of your strength numbers and what does your programming look like? It's very likely that you'd benefit from eating more, lifting heavy more often, and cutting back on your CFing volume.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Paulo Santos

Profile:

You have two options.

1. If you are weak, get strong as hell and bulk up. You don't have to get fat in the process, but you may put on weight. Then, go on a cut.

2. Keep lifting hard and cut weight. Once you reach your goal, then up your calories to maintenance or slightly higher.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
I have been doing crossfit for 4 months now (5 days a week). I started out around 18% body fat and have dropped to what I would say is 15-16%. I am 5'10" and 167 lbs. and lost 30 lbs with Weight Watchers last year. However since starting crossfit I started following a more Paleo like plan but have been finding it more difficult to follow (Monday-Friday I'm fine but weekends fall apar and I have difficulty working it into everyday life). I really want to achieve my goal of 10-12% body fat especially after putting in years of hard work and am so close but I feel like something isn't clicking I am seeing large gains in muscle but not so much in my body fat decreasing. Any tips or advice you have?
Quote:
seems to me you want too much too fast. you say "after putting in years of hard work"... can you describe this? you then say you have only been doing CF for 4 months and only this last month did you hit a wall. that is normal. so over 4 months, you had 3 months of improvement and one month where it slowed down, plus you have lost 2 or 3 percent body fat in that time, but yet you want to change something? why? you are having success. you also state that you are not doing the diet right on weekends and then wonder why you aren't seeing progress?

you still haven't answered the questions about your programming, training, current lift numbers, amount of calories you eat, etc. all of that would be very helpful in attempting to solve your problem.
- what does your training look like? what program are you following? what days a week do you workout? etc?
- what do you eat? when do you eat? how much / how many calories do you eat? etc