CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Luke Lehman

Profile:
What made you stay?

Hey all.

I'm a week in to CF. I've got a gym here @ work (very thankful). I've got weights at home. I've tried push-up programs, I've tried cycling and running regimens. Each seems to be short lived even though each is a great thing.

I read quite often on the boards that people did one WOD and were "hooked."

I'm wondering though. For the rest of us, who've maybe tried a couple WODs and left and then come back a few months later to give it another go, who've stayed and then done CF for months and years - What was it that made you stay?

Joining a box?
WOD partner?
CF Methodology (Football vs Endurance vs Other)?
Plain guts?

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Shannon Mullens

Profile:
Re: What made you stay?

I've only been around for a few months, but I haven't strayed off and come back - I just read about it, started, and did it.

What keeps me going are three main things:

1) Variety of workouts. I can do anything for a month, but to keep me coming back after that first month, it has to be interesting. The variety of workouts really does that for me.

2) For the first time, I have some idea of what to do with that section of the gym I've always longed to try but never had the faintest idea how to even enter: The barbell/free weights section. I hate machines, but I love the barbells, and learning the lifts, and working on increasing the weights, is an absolute delight.

3) My workout partner. I basically research and program for both of us - and we both do the same workouts (more or less). If I didn't do it, he wouldn't do it, and more than I want to hit a 500lb deadlift, I want him (he's my best friend) to lose weight and be healthy and feel the way he wants to feel. Even if I wanted to stop, I can't now because he's doing so well!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

I had never been a gym person. In college I had a membership to the fitness center, and I would go do some pull ups, some leg presses, curls, basically wander around and jump on a machine if it was empty. After college I had a roomate with some weights in my apartment, and would use them occasionally until I heard of the 300 workout, and I did that once every week or two on Friday nights before going to the bar, and loved the sheer wipe-out feeling afterwords and the fight against the clock.
Once I heard there was a whole wealth of workouts with the same basis, you could say I was hooked as well.

Now, I stay because:
The challenge- the clock keeps running... That little voice inside that says quit? Shut up.
The people- I finally moved to the same city I've worked for three years now, and away from what I considered my "home," and having good people from my gym around helps.
The competition- I've been nervous for weeks my name would be knocked off the whiteboard for the 500m row. Finally put up a new time last night, and bumped myself up to 4th.
The results- I'm far from what even people here consider strong, but I'd happily put my numbers up against anyone on the street and be moderately confident I could out lift them, if not for a single rep then over even a short time period. Or out run them. Or out work them. I might get beat at any one aspect of "fitness" by any one person, but I feel like I could do well enough in that aspect while still beating them in most others.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Arumayta Martinez

Profile:

I haven't been without doing CF for more than two weeks since I started July 2009.
I stay because the workouts are EFFICIENT.

I've always enjoyed doing free weights, however I never really had the results I wanted. I did the typical 30 min cardio and 45 min weights.

Now with one hour (including warm-up and stretching) I'm stronger, faster and leaner!

That's why I stay!!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Keith Martin

Profile:

Well, I was introduced to it about 5 yrs ago in my bodybuilding phase. The guy who introduced it to me was doing "Cindy" and asked if I could join him...course I couldn't do the pull-up part so we went through this and I was exhausted and he was not. Thought it was a nice workout then went back to bodybuilding.

About 1 1/2 yrs later, my workouts hadn't been consistent and I got bored of isolation and I was dreading working out so I somehow remembered CF, went back on the main-site and started following it. When I really started doing it consistently is when I was hooked. After I subscribed to the Journal and started reading the articles, I was hooked. I stopped the current muscle mag subscription I previously had and been CFing since.

I joined a box because there was only so much I could get from a subscription. However, every box that I've gone to I picked up a tidbit of info that was valuable or something I didn't catch before. Plus not training alone is a great plus.

I ended up converting a guy and we trained together for awhile til the gym we went to closed down. I enjoyed it because someone was pushing me and it was scheduled. I couldn't just "not go".

I never really looked at the biases but I still feel I have a lot to learn from simply Crossfitting, nutrition, programming. I also want to eventually open my own box. So I'm busy enough as it is.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Jared Ashley

Profile:

I've been CFing for about 3 years. What made me stay?

First off, because it works. Second, because it's customizable so i don't get bored. Although I have done the WOD 3:1 (scaled appropriately when needed) most of those 3 years I've done some combination of CF WODs and strength programs.

Like you, yeah I often will start a "program" and be good about it for 2-3 months and then start slacking and maybe go a couple of weeks without working out, but with CF I can always pick it back up in a new format.

Obviously, my gains using this adhoc programming aren't what they could be if I really, really dedicated myself to a single method, but they're still a lot better than most people get from their programs, at essentially zero cost.

Other reasons I choose CF:

-I can do it at home
-It takes less time than most legitimate programs
-I'm less sore
-CF has a lot of smart people posting on this board that I can learn from. A lot of fools and braggarts too, but I can ignore them.
-Most of CFs more "official" hybrid programs such as CFFB, CFSB, CFE and others are also very effective.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
Gillian Steele

Profile:

I have been Crossfitting for around 9 months now I started at one box and found I wasn't getting the support or the results I wanted so I changed and started working out at Crossfit Norwest in Castle Hill, NSW, Australia and I have made leaps and gains since then.

I stay because I love the Crossfit program- its big functional movements, and it's always challenging, and I love pushing through and achieving new things

The guys and girls and coach at my box are awesome- always so supportive!

I can see changes since I have started training at Norwest and I want to become a better person both inside and outside!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I LOVE the people at my box. I love being around like-minded people. Surrounding yourself with others who have the same goals and ambitions as you is a great way to keep yourself motivated.

The main thing that has kept me into CF is the fact that, every single day, I am better than the previous day.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:58 AM   #9
Tracey Blackman

Profile:

I started Crossfit Sept 2009 and I love it!

I was hooked very quickly - I'd done workout dvds, other webbased programs and even starting strength and they all lasted a few weeks to a few months and the bordom of repetition caused me to slow down and stop!!

Then I found Crossfit and probably more importantly for me, the Crossfit brandx community - they scale the workouts for you and the support they offer is brilliant.

The scaling meant I could actually make a start and the support helped me with any questions and encouragement if/when I needed it. I workout alone at home - my family do not take part with me which is a shame so hence the brandx support was invaluable to me.

I love the constantly varied scaled programming done for you and I can't get enough of it - it's awesome!

It has changed my body, my strength, my confidence and my whole approach to life and the situations it brings and that's why I stay! Sometimes crazy life and work can get in the way but I just jump right back in after a crazy week and the world seems right again!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Mike Wildman

Profile:

I started CF in Aug 2009 and switched to CFFB in Aug 2010 and love it. This is the first strength & conditioning program that I've consistantly stuck with. My previous exercise regimes were centered around a sport or race and so kept me with clear goals to work towards, but this is the first one where the overarching goal was simply to suck less.

I don't train at a box (think they're rediculously overpriced) and most often work out alone (sometimes with the Mrs). The hook for me has been the mental battle that each workout brings. The ability to achieve that small goal (do each set unbroken, raise the weight, etc) on a consistant basis has been wonderful. I attribute that to the excellent programming (particularly CFFB) and the internal fortitude which CF helps you exercise every bit as much as your lats or hamstrings. Even on those not infrequent days where a workout crushes me, I can take heart in the fact that I have made myself that much stronger, faster, etc during that time under the bar and am better prepared for the next day's challenge.

So much of life today is too easy. Stepping away from the convenient comfort and overly sensitive nature of our affluent society and embracing that base part of ourselves that can generate the aggression to accomplish previously impossible physical feats is just plain fun. I hope you stick with it. The program is extremely personally rewarding.