CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Jeff Bonn

Profile:
Smile A whole new journey.

For the better part of two years I've been surfing the Crossfit main site. I was drawn in by the very thoughtful and intellectual consideration of fitness Glassman put forward.

A little over 5 months ago my wife and I tried out classes a Crossfit 2260 near our home. I had already made a decision that I was going to do Crossfit, but I wasn't clear if we could afford an affiliate. Well, despite a brief bout with Rhabdo, we did join the affiliate for a 4 month period which has just ended. Since we've been "kissed by the economy" lately I decided to bring the project home for a while...and this is where my journey begins.

There is one more facet to this I want to share. Improving my fitness, physical awareness, and trying to constantly expand my knowledge has taken on not only a value for my life but is supporting a goal of opening my own affiliate. For that reason doing my own programming in support of my own goals is a great challenge and learning experience.

My journey begins with little equipment (three sand bags, a jump rope, and two very light kettlebells (10 & 15lb) and some minor tendinitis in both knees. I believe however I'm in a great place to make a lot of success out what I have. I'm hoping I can share my success with this community and likewise I'm hoping people will share with me thoughts on my programming for my first client....me!
Old 11-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Jeff Bonn

Profile:
Re: A whole new journey.

Day 1: 30 min of handstand practice. 6:24 "up time.". Started to get some time barely off the wall, but nothing stable.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Jeff Bonn

Profile:

Day 2: 20 min AMRAP
20 pushups
30 minutes
- 6 rounds + 6 pushups

Trying to keep it easy on my knees until my tendinitis hopefully clears up.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Jeff Bonn

Profile:

Day 3: Rest
Day 4: 4 Rounds for time:
20 Sand bag overhead press (~25lb)
30 Situps
15 Sand bag good mornings (~60lb)
13:09

I'm went for the good mornings as opposed to a sumo deadlift (though the good mornings were about sumo width foot position) again to give my knees some recovery time.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Jeff Bonn

Profile:

Day 5: 100 pushups for time.
9:39

Getting through the workout was a good reminder for me. It reminded me that it's not a question of if I can do something these days, but just a matter of how long will it take. Breaking 10 minutes was a goal, and it went well!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Jeff Bonn

Profile:

Day6/7: Rest
Day 8: The plan is for a 20 min AMRAP of:
5 Negative Pushups (from lock out to as close to full ROM as possible).
25 Situps
While these workouts are keeping my knees lightly employed I've got to be careful not to overdo the shoulders as a result. I'm adding some mountain biking to the mix this week (been many years) so that'll be a good test of the knees without too much bashing.

While I'm keeping good focus on completing the workouts (despite the lack of the motivating affiliate community) I seriously need to makes some headway on nutrition. I'm trying to keep progress and not overload myself, but my nutrutional component has definitely gotten away. I am going to add that to my workout log here in the near future.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Jeff Bonn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bonn View Post
Day6/7: Rest
Day 8: The plan is for a 20 min AMRAP of:
5 Negative Pushups (from lock out to as close to full ROM as possible).
25 Situps
I pulled off 7 rounds even, but I changed the HSP negatives to 15 scaled HSP putting my knees on a bar stool (I'm 6'3" it worked well).

Tomorrow's workout is to be 5 rounds for time of:
20 Pushups
20 Heavy Sand Bag (~60lb) Squat Cleans
50 Single Unders
Old 11-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #8
Jeff Bonn

Profile:

Quote:
5 rounds for time of:
20 Pushups
10 Heavy Sand Bag (~60lb) Squat Cleans
50 Single Unders
I changed the quantity of the sand bag cleans to 10 per round as in warm-up they proved more taxing than I'd expected. Even still I was bouncing up against my no-puke limit (I seriously hate throwing up.) Also my warm-up got sort of angry/intense as I tried to put two double-unders together...unsuccessfully. The good news is my knees came out in good shape, no issues to report.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Jeff Bonn

Profile:

Day 10: Rest

Day 11:
5 Rounds for time:
20 Sand Bag Overhead Press (~25lb)
20 Pushups
Day 12 (or 13 or 14): Hopefully spending some quality time on my mountain bike for the first time in years and years!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
Jeff Bonn

Profile:

Quote:
Day 11:
5 Rounds for time:
20 Pushups
A sure sign of amateurish programming; what I'd intended to be a high paced met-conish workout turned into a muscular endurance event for my shoulders, which are still feeling days 8 and 9 so I changed things up after the first round and restarted with one fewer round.
4 Rounds for time:
50 Single Unders
8:38

Still had my shoulders scorching the entire time (jumping rope requires more shoulder effort than I'd ever have thought). One thing that really bugged me is a lost count of my rounds. I can barely keep track of my reps. Do people have a trick for that? You'd think after 6 months of this I'd have a trick...sadly no.

I think from here on out I'm going to try to make an estimation of what I'm trying to accomplish with a given workout and judge it afterward. I think this will help keep me as goal oriented as I'd want to be with any other client.