CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Stuart Brauer

Profile:
Paleo, better for endurance athletes AND crossfiters???

I have not personally read the Paleo Diet for Athletes, but I have skimmed over it quite extensively and have read many write-ups regarding it's content.

My question is, Cordain looked at how beneficial the Paleo diet was for ENDURANCE athletes, who mainly work within the aerobic/oxidative pathway.

Is there any literature out there that studies the use of the Paleo diet with athletes (like Crossfiters) that work within the anaerobic and glycolitic pathways??

I have been going strict Paleo with semi-strict Zone quantities and have noticied a leaning out and an increase in performance as far as my anaerobic/aerobic thresholds go. However, I have lost strength as a result of my cutting of weight/bf. Any thoughts/comments??
Old 12-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Paleo, better for endurance athletes AND crossfiters???

Don't know about the literature part, but I do Paleo as well and have experienced the same thing as you. Losing weight/bf and maintaining strength at the same time is hard to do. I would say prioritize what you want according to your goals. If you want to lean out, then do it and accept the strength loss, knowing that you can get it back once you lean out. Chasing two goals at opposite ends of the spectrum is not a good option, pick one and see it through before you move on to the next one.

Food-wise, I eat more fat and some high GI carbs (mainly potatoes and sometimes ice cream) once in a while to not lose strength. Personally, I feel alot better and can lift more when I eat more fat: fattier cuts of meat, chicken skin, butter, etc. Almonds just don't cut it when I lift heavy. This changes from person to person, so play around with it to see which foods make you perform at your best.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

i agree with what your saying. I incorporate a pure 10-15min heavy lifitng session early in the AM 4 days out of my 6 (3on/1off). I think i might start snatching my carbs via oats in the those mornings and then keep that my only main starchy carb consumption. see if that gives me the extra "umph" i need with the strength training sessions
Old 12-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I was rather annoyed with "paleo for Athletes". It was really Paleo for Runners, as if running is the only sport people engage in after school.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I was rather annoyed with "paleo for Athletes". It was really Paleo for Runners, as if running is the only sport people engage in after school.
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I thought it had great info...but I wish someone would put together similar work geared for strength and conditioning specifically.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Stuart,

Exactly, thats what I was looking for. Post, pre workout nutrition, pre comp. What about people that need to cut weight before competition? THat would be awesome.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

I know that CF HQ advocates more of a Zone prescription than a Paleo one now a days (at least thats what I gathered from my Level 1 cert). I'm sure there are plent of experienced CF trainers out there with years of experience with Paleo/CF that could make a great write up on teh subject.

Scientific data/experiment info would be great, but any type of collective info regarding strict paleo and CF performance would suffice. I wonder if anyone will get a cue from this and help put it together
Old 12-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
Derek Henson

Profile:

guys,

im no genius by far....so please help me to understand.

exactly how does the paleo diet differ from the crossfit version of the zone?

i just purchased that paleo diet book and want to try it big time...but to me, the two diets seem the same. enlighten me please.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

the Zone prescription (as recommended by CF) allows you to eat grains, oats, stachy carbs, pasta, etc....all within Zone portions.

Paleo has no distinction as to HOW MUCH to eat, they focus more on the quality of the food...not the quantity.

Paleo = meats,veggies,nuts/seeds,some fruit, little starch, no sugar
Zone = eat anything you want, but keep it within the Zone block requirements
Old 12-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
jonathan stewart

Profile:

Have you guys read any of John Berardi, I am just now trying this low carb paleo stuff, but he seems to write for athletes, specifically strength, and advocates a lot of paleo ideals, but also says that post workout you can have carbs, even non paleo ones, he seems to know what he is talking about, and uses a lot of science to back it up.