CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I'm about to be hired as a lifeguard at a local pool here, and I've realized that I need to be doing more to better my swimming. My question is, would swimming be too strenuous to practice on my off days? (I do the 3/1 schedule CF/5x5/CF)

There are two issues I need to work on for swimming; first is my stroke for freestyle and breast (I also need to be able to swim 500yrds, but from what I learned technique comes first, then endurance/strength), and also treading water with the brick (I need to be able to tread 1 minute with the brick at the surface of the water).

For working on my strokes, I'm planning on doing sets of 25/50yrds with 00:30-02:00 rest between sets for a total of around 500+ yards.

To improve my treading with the brick, I'm planning on treading water with it for 00:15 with a 00:45-01:45 break between sets for a total of 2-4 minutes of treading.

Based on this, would you all say it would be safe to practice swimming on my rest days or should I incorporate the swimming into the 3 on days?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Kevin Burns

Profile:
I swim on my off days but due to soreness and stiffness its pretty hard. Takes at least a 1000 to get warmed up.

You might want to try swimming a little bit each day. Will help you recover faster.

When you say sets of 25/50 yds with 30-2min of rest do you mean rest between sets of intervals or between each 25/50yds ?

Old 04-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Between each 25/50yrd swim. The furthest I'm swam at once, so far, is 300yrds, and that was using both free and breast. So, for me (and especially considering I haven't been in a pool for a couple weeks now) I'm going to be starting off at 25/50yrd intervals with 30-2min rest between each lap. I'm hoping that within a few weeks I'll be doing sets of 100. Keep in mind though, my goal isn't necessarily sheer endurance at this present moment, it's just to perfect my strokes the best I can for going solo.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
Kevin Burns

Profile:
I've heard good things about Total Immersion Swimming http://www.totalimmersion.net/.

Stroke is something you need to practice going slow. Think of it as practicing overhead squats with a broomstick. Most stroke goes to hell as speed increases so get it down slowly.

The endurance factor will actually help your stroke since it will make you faster.

Sprint workouts are the most effective ways to get stronger in the water.

Try this. Figure out the longest distance you can swim without quitting or getting sore or exhausted and use that as your longest training distance. Then break things down into sets.

For example, if 100yrds is the longest you can swim set your workouts as follows:

2x100
4x50
8x25

Simple ladder sets. As you get better up the intervals on the next highest distance. For example, once you can swim 300yds make your sets

2x100
8x50
16x25

Then at 400yds

4x100
8x50
16x25

what your doing is adding distance while still keeping the distance in the shorter sets. There are many ways you can do this but this is a really simple way of measuring your workouts.

I'm not a very good runner and i use the same method. As for rest, monitor your rest between sets and try to keep it as short as possible.

Once you get your workout distances up try reducing the amount of rest between each interval.

Once again, just an idea. Make sure to track what your doing, create a blog on blogspot to post your results. I started doing that and it forces me to keep at it since I feel guilty if i go to bed without writing something in the blog about a workout.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
John Wopat

Profile:
Concentrate on technique by doing stroke drills. Check out Total Immersion asap; Terry stresses stroke drills and suggests that they encompass as much as 50% of your workout. Some of my favorite stroke drills are swim with closed fists, then 2 fingers, hands slighly open then finally hands fully open. Others: one arm, catch up, kicking on your side and roll over. Don't push, just get comfortable and relaxed. Unless you have a specific time to meet for the 500, you should have no problem if you've been CFing. There are some CF swim WOD's (issue 36 of the CF Journal, I think) which you may want to sub on a CF metcon day. Have fun!