CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Jason Billows

Profile:
Hi All,

It has been months since I have posted on the forum. It's good to be back.

I did CF religiously for a number of months, then had a period of time where I was doing a mix of CF and other stuff and not regularly. I wouldn't say that I had lost motivation, but I was looking for more variety and not formalizing my training. I realize now that it is because I was missing the longer endurance workouts I used to do in my earlier years. I love heading out on my bike, or running or swimming for a long session.

I have decided that I need to get more serious about my training agian and want to find a balance between CF workouts and longer endurance training. I did some searches on the forums but had no luck finding any clear guidance as to how one can balance these types of workouts. I know that Coach has said you need to train long to go long, so I'm hoping that someone can provide me with some guidance.

Many of the goals I have set include CF goals such as being able to do certain CF girls in certain times, but I also have the goal to do some short triathlons this summer and a long (possibly iron distance) in the summer of 2008.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to finding info on balancing my workouts?

Thanks.

Jason
Old 02-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
Nicholas Burgett

Profile:
Jason, I'm somewhat in the same boat but coming from the other side (I presume). I started CF last year after finishing an Ironman, and have really enjoyed myself. I did almost exclusive CF training this last year, but now I also want to get back into the tri thing and am having difficulty figuring out how best to accomplish this.

I want my CF, tri's, and Coach Rip's SS too. Is that so wrong?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
John Wopat

Profile:
Yes, you can have CF and tri's, but you should ask yourself which is more important. If you want to compete in tri's as a part of a total fitness lifestyle, that's one thing, but if you want to be competitive in your age group, your tri training will need to be more focused and take precedence over CF. This will become particularly true if you train for an Ironman, where the time demands become huge, and you're just not going to want to do 3 Bars of Death after a 100 mile bike. Also bear in mind that we all have jobs and families to consider which will further limit how much time is available for CF/tri training. My best blanket suggestion is to CF intensly during the Nov-Feb off season (for us Yanks) while keeping up swim training and as the race season approaches, phase out CF for tri training, if tri results matter to you. Train smart, train safe. John Wopat Ironman '91, '94
Old 03-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Jason Billows

Profile:
Thanks for your feedback guys.

I have decided to adjust my CF/Tri training balance as my tri goals change.

My goals for this summer are to do an early season sprint, followed by an Olympic distance in mid summer and a half Ironman distance in September. I'll probably have some other short races mixed in throughout the summer.

As I prepare for the sprint I will be doing about half and half in my training. I expect to do 3 CF workouts a week (2 metcon and 1 strength/Oly lift focused session) along with some skills work mixed in here and there such as handstands and other fun stuff. In addition to the CF workouts I'll be doing swims, runs and bikes of varrying lengths. I expect I'll do two of each discipline a week on average with one being short/medium distance and one long.

As I progress past the sprint tri and on to the longer distance tris I will tweak my training and focus more on the tri disciplines and getting my mileage up while dropping to 1 or 2 CF sessions a week. After the summer I'll get back to more CF workouts in the off season as John suggested.

Of course this could all change. I'll give it a go, listen to my body and watch my results to determine what is and isn't working. I also realize that because of my longer distance tri sessions I'll run the chance of overtraining. I'll be sure to get lots of recovery time and keep my diet in check to help with recovery.

I'm scheduled for some leg surgery (compartment syndrome) on March 15th but expect to be back to training in a relatively short time. I'll formalize my training schedule at that point and will be sure to post updates from time to time. I'm sure there are other out there interested in finding a balance between CF and tri training and hopefully my experiences will help.

If anyone else has any thoughts, please let me know.

Jason
Old 03-05-2007, 02:04 AM   #5
Bryan Blake

Profile:
Hey guys,
New to the message board so I'm not sure if this is where to drop my particular question, but it seemed like this is the closest forum for it.

I'm starting to train for a 50 mile ultramarathon and trying to figure out the CF/running balance. I just about fried my legs training for my last 26 miler and doing CF at the same time.

I know I need to focus on the running aspect more than anything, but at the same time I don't want my overall fitness to drop as a consequence. I'm thinking three days a week or so of CF.

Anyone's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan
Old 03-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
Jason Billows

Profile:
Bryan, as you can see from my previous posts I'm still trying to figure out the balance myself, but here's what I have learned...

If you're going to be going long you'll have to train long. Work backwards from your ultramarathon date to determine your training. You'll have to figure out how long your taper should be and what the ideal training would be for your ultramarathon. Then try to see how CF can supplement that training.

I would think that CF would be most beneficial in developing a very solid base and then you'd simply have to put in the miles and other run workouts to prep for the ultra.

I'd also suggest that even if you can't do the WODs during your marathon training you can do upper body CF work. While doing heavy CF strength workouts for your legs is probably out of the question close to your marathon I see little reason why you can't do upper body work.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in here.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #7
Bryan Blake

Profile:
Jason,
Yeah, my thoughts are kind of along the same lines. My only concern with just sticking to the upper body workouts is that at what point have you left behind CF and just started doing a standard upper body routine?

Either way I think you're right about using CF to get a base level and adjusting from there. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your help and good luck with your tri.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness
Old 03-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #9
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
I agree with the "goals" statements - determining the goals is probably the most important part.

If all you're looking for is the accomplishment of doing something hard, there are lots of ways to do that:
Half-Marathon Row
J.T
Swim, 500 meters, 25/50/100 meter intervals.

Here's a website for ultramarathons (work/family safe):

http://www.ultrunr.com/

I've discovered that by being faithfull to the WoD, on any given day I can get up and run 10-12 miles, row a half marathon or whatever. Sometimes I do get the itch for more, though, hence the row + JT + swim. Good luck on the tri!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
Jason Billows

Profile:
Bryan, as far as keeping it CF without turning your session into a simple upper body workout, I'd just be creative.

You can still use your legs without doing heavy squats or DL. For example, a workout could consist of 5 rounds of 400m run, 25 pull ups, 100 double unders, 25 push ups, 25 sit ups, 25 push presses. That'd definitley be a good workout and would use your legs and upper body with the balance you're looking for.

Also, don't forget that a complete upper body workout can still be CF. I have seen a couple of WODs that were solely pull ups, but done in different ways, sets and reps.