CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I sustained an injury to my hip flexor last weekend and also discovered I've got tendonitis. I spent 4 days recovering, and then 4 days just swimming 1000m each day. Now I am doing the metcon workouts at "puppy" level for a while in the morning, and swimming 1000m each night. I'm thinking I will work back to RX'd metcon WOD's over the next month, subbing anything stressful on the knees with tendon strengthening exercises plus the daily swim. Would this constitute overtraining in any way shape or form?

(Message edited by skitzmixv9 on February 19, 2007)
Old 02-19-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
I hate these questions because there is no answer to them -- you only know until you try. (no animosity towards you.. I post on a bodybuilding forum too and I see this a whole heck of a lot and it gets annoying)

You can't gauge overtraining by just looking at a workout since we and even you can't estimate your overall workout capacity. It depends a lot on how your diet, sleep schedule and workout regiment is. The only way to know is to do it, and if you're feeling any of the symptoms of overtraining then you know to back off for a day or two.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
John Wopat

Profile:
I agree with Steve. When I trained for Ironman, some years ago, I used to monitor my resting hr upon waking. Check it regularly and if you notice an uptick of 5-10% you may be overtrainig. Remember, we're in it for the long haul.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Allen Yeh posted a link to this on the PM forum, and it's an excellent look into the other factors that go into overtraining. It's a link to Alwyn Cosgrove's blog and there's an article about stress and stressors on 2/22. Work and family safe.

http://www.alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com/