CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Young Women, ACL Injuries, and Deep Squats

Interesting report on NPR today concerning the increased risk of knee injuries in young women and "research" in pre-hab (WFS):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=93309486

Surprise, they have the girls doing deep squats to strengthen the glutes/hamstrings, minimizing strength imbalances in the knee! They even state that the knee is not injured when fully flexed.

Now if they'd just move beyond the inverted Bosu ball shown in the picture for core/stability training. I have yet to see a soccer pitch that could be simulated by an inverted Bosu.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:
Re: Young Women, ACL Injuries, and Deep Squats

Actually he doesn't state that he has them doing deep, below 90, squats. Just "teaching them to get in deep". I would assume that he has them doing deep squats, but he doesn't explicitly state that.

interestingly, the article states that the understanding about gender differences in ACL injuries is fairly recent. I recall that back 11+ years ago, during my undergrad training we talked about the gender difference in incidence of ACL injuries. It has been recognized for quite some time. Over the last few years, good studies have come out recognizing the importance of plyometric training and hip strengthening/stabilization programs for ACL injury prevention.

I think that a lot of the stuff that we do in CrossFit fits perfectly with these prevention programs.

Also, interesting note: the girl that they featured didn't suffer a knee injury. She had a femur fracture due to collision. Not sure that any amount of deep squats or plyometrics would have prevented that injury.

Last edited by Dan Hollingsworth; 09-04-2008 at 10:04 AM..