CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
Brian Mansfield

Profile:
I'm curious to see how many CFers participate in Triathlons. I completed 4 Sprints this summer and really enjoy the competition and varied training (must be ingrained by Crossfit).

How should I supplement Tri training with CF? Is it possible or are the two mutually exclusive? I don't want to overtrain.

My Tri season won't be starting until March so it will be strictly CF until then. I have 1 Olympic and 4 Sprints planned for the 2007 Spring/Summer.

Just curious for your thoughts.

Thanks for your help. Brian.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:53 AM   #2
Ralph Coates

Profile:
I'm not a triathlete, but I think the integration of CF and triahtlon should be viewed as any other activity; you use the CF workouts to address your GPP needs - ie qualities that are not directly addressed by your sport.

How you structure this week to week will depend on how much you practice your main sport, coupled with what your perceived weaknesses are. Eg if the main thing holding you back is swimming technique then devoting 90% of your training time to 'the girls' would maybe not be the best idea.

I'm no expert, but as a general rule I reckon the off-season would be a good time to hammer the WOD's while just maintaining your sport-specific skills, pretty much as you are planning. As the season nears you may want to switch it up and emphasise specific skills while just maintaining your new levels of fitness.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I remember reading a story on here about Greg Anderson from Crossfit HQ who never trained for the triathlon (besides crossfit workouts) and placed 2nd.

I think the HIT training protocol here is ideal for the sprint distances. You could add one day of run/bike/swim distance training too a week.

I do offroad tri's/adventure racing here and there. No pro, but I do well enough to place at some (of course it's a team thing for the adventure racing). I usually just did HIT work and 1-2days of shorter more intense biking and running. I never did distance training running, at most 1.5miles for time (it's the trail lap by me) and I could run the 5-6miles no problem.

I'm sure you will be surprised to see how all you events will get stronger. Much like the workouts here, have a benchmark workout for biking, running or swimming for time and go back and see the progress here and there.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
David Aguasca

Profile:
uh, mike? i think it was Greg Amundson, crossfit beast. and yeah, he had never trained for a triathlon, i think.

IMHO, the WODS would be more than sufficient, along with practicing each individual discipline of the sport, if they're giving you trouble...like biking. don't laugh, i only learned to bike a year and a half ago.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Search the boards (button up in the yellow area at the screen top); lots of good info. Many long posts from Eugene A. with specific ideas, tips, and tools. Try "triathlon crossfit train" to start. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
James Lewis

Profile:
I have been participating in tris for the last four years. All sprints until last year. Did 3 olympics and one 1/2 IM as well as 6 sprints this season. I was not using CF at the time.

I too have a lot of ?s about how to integrate CF into Tri training. IMO, there is just no substitute for some of the sport specific training required. Dedicated super CFers (like Greg) may have what it takes to do only CF and crush a triathlon, but us mere mortals have to spend time in the saddle...and lots of it. Not to mention that riding is fun!

Swimming. CF CANNOT prepare you for swimming...you have to swim. Period. It can build your fitness for swimming, but not the swimming skills.

Running. This is my biggest area of concern. CF does a lot of work on sprints of 400-800m, but they seem to eschew (if not scoff) at distance running. Again, there is just no reason for me to think that by doing CF alone, that can prepare you for a 1/2 IM distance tri. I think it can help, don't think it can be the be all end all.

I use the trainingpeaks.com website for coaching. This off season I am focusing on CF and also riding my bike and swimming as much as possible. Two workouts a day for me are not unusual. I don't think I am going to be the best CFer on these message boards, but I bet that I'll be a better triathlete than the majority of the CFers out there! :-) And in the end, that is my sport specific goal, even if it does not square 100% with what CF is all about.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
Brian Mansfield

Profile:
Thanks for the input. It is much appreciated. I plugged Triathlon in the Search Engine. Looks like I've got some reading to do. Well, as an insomniac it beats late night t.v. Off to make some coffee and start reading. After the WOD of course.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
opps.....my bad. I knew that....confusing him with a Greg Anderson I know who sadly enough is not a beast....that's what happens when I type before my first cup of coffee....

(Message edited by mike_od on November 03, 2006)
Old 11-04-2006, 08:30 AM   #9
Charles Applin

Profile:
I would assume training for a triathlon would mean doing water and bike work in replacement for the running activities that pop up now and again in the WOD. In addition, I think the ratios to convert distance is 1 swim to 4 run to 16 bike. Are these bad assumptions?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:19 PM   #10
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Brian - I have done a 2 year experiment on this topic to see how - for me - CF training would work as a replacement, not a supplement but a replacement, for my tri training. It was great, until it came to race time. For the superheros among us like Greg Amundson it works just fine, but as a 50 year old it did not well at all. I was slower at the Wildflower half by somewhere around an hour last year, and this year my Olympic distance time was down about 15 minutes.

Remember what you are doing in a triathlon, you are trying to be efficient and fast over whatever your race distance is and since your Olympic distance race will be somewhere near 3 hours and your sprints from 1:15 to 1:30 or so, you absolutely need to do your distance work.

The general training method is 3 workouts per sport per week...3, swims, 3 bikes, and 3 runs. If you have a weakness among the 3 sports, spend some extra time there. Do bricks...bike/run workouts. They will be your savior. Work on your swim technique which means you must check out Total Immersion swimming. Pose Running is your source for running improvement and Spinervals is the way to go for indoor bike training.

It is base season now until whenever your races start out there in Jersey. Time for distance work. Long, slow distance work...LSD. If your a rock in the pool, focus on that for the mext month or so. Work on swimming long, swimming on your side and swimming balanced...that is flat in the water.

As Rene said I have quite a few posts on this topic, long posts with tips, workouts and all things tri. Check those out and come back with any other questions you have.