CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-28-2004, 09:31 PM   #1
Anonymous

Profile:  
I have always had problems squatting deep. With no weight, I squat down a little, then fall backwards. I can go deeper with a very wide stance. I used to think the problem was inflexability, but I have stretched with little benefit. Is it possible that the problem is muscle inbalance? I weigh 165, and I can deadlift 350, but I struggle squatting 250. That doesn't seem right to me...

What's problem, and how do I fix it?!? I want to o-lift, but I need to learn to squat deep with a narrow stance first!
Old 02-29-2004, 04:34 AM   #2
F

Profile:

I have that problem too, but it relates to my height (probably some flexibility issues too). I'm 6'4"+ with long legs, subsequently I have to lean forward significantly as I move down through the squat to keep my combined centre of gravity (mine + bar) over my feet. If I don't, I'll crash land.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:49 AM   #3
Travis John Mulroy

Profile:  
Hmmm... I'm only 5'8", but I think my legs are long relative to my torso.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:27 PM   #4
Ross Burke

Profile:
I can deadlift 335 but can only olympic squat in the low 200's. It might have a lot to do with how you're built, but don't let that be an excuse not to work hard on it.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
All of my squatting got better when I got better groin flexibility. I would practice normal air-squats, going down ALL the way.

As silly as this video is, it was of help to me (in an odd and completely unrelated way to what it was intended):

http://www.danielhsia.com/m_squat.php

Old 02-29-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
Kris Freeman

Profile:
I was doing back squats today and my form has already improved greatly. All I have been doing is trying to go as low as I can on air squats, and do warmup with OH Squats. Even though I can't get very low doing OH yet, I feel they help. I also warmed up with front squats today, which are much easier for me to keep my back straight, and getting the feel for sitting between my legs. I can already go past parallel slightly, I was previously unable to even get parallel.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:31 AM   #7
Rick Greevy

Profile:  
could also be ankle and hip flexibility. You could try more of a powerlifting type squat by bending forward at the waist and reaching back with your hips (imagine a squat/good morning combo). Or hold a light (10 lb) weight out in front of you to counter balance. Just from watching people in the gym i don't think anyone stays within the strictest definition of "olympic squats" or "powerlifting squats" because everyone's build is unique to them. Once you find your groove expect to improve steadily.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:12 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Learn to squat deep W/O weight if you can. The additional weight can sometimes facilitate the stretching. I would add this to your warm ups (CFJ April '03?) and chip away at it.
Robb