CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Patrick Henry

Profile:
At 161 lb. and just 3 weeks into weighted pullups, I finally did my first +100 deadhang pullup! I ALMOST got 2 in one set, but I did manage to do 2 single reps with +100.

I was alternating single reps of push presses (with bodyweight) and pullups (single reps) with +60, +60, +70, +70, +80, +80, +90, +90, and then I went for the +100. I got the first one, and got eyes and nose above the bar on the second rep, then I went for 2 reps on a second +100 set with the same results.

I have NEVER done a +100 before. I am shooting for a 2x bodyweight pull by the end of the year.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
Roark Marsh

Profile:
Very impressive.

What are you using for the weight? I've had problems with both dip belts, and just straps whenever I get real heavy.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Good job. I am training for the one arm chin myself and that double bodyweight is not easy.

60 lbs to go! You and I are actually about the same there. I have about 45 or 50 to go. I have been thinking about putting up a competition for getting to the one arm chin and year's end sounds like a good goal. Want to try it?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Decided I might as well put it up now.

It's in competitions.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:
Congrats, I hope to get that some day!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Patrick Henry

Profile:
I use the 100 lb dumbbell at my gym. After this, I will hang donut weights in addition to the DB. I have also seen people hang 45 lb. plates, as well as the necessary smaller plates.

I use a squat belt and attach the weights to a chain that hangs off of the buckle by 2 caribeners (spelling). I was doing it with the weights between my legs/ankles, but I have had hernia surgery twice, and I don't want to risk another tear. I moved up to a 1" chain (one loop around my waist, one loop dangling to hold the weight), but the links cut into my hips pretty badly. I saw a weight belt that is used for squats or deadlifts, and I cut a section of chain that was about 30" long. Once doubled over, it is a good length to use to hang weights.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #7
Patrick Henry

Profile:
Derek-

Which do you think is harder- a 1-arm, or a singel rep with 2x bodyweight?

BTW, these were done in pull-up fashion. I might be 10-15 lb. stronger if I were to do a chin up (palms facing). Either way, I am in pretty good shape to hit my goal of 2x body weight in the next few months, I think.

I need to work on technique if I am going to try to do ao 1-arm. Are there any demos or tutorials that dictate the proper technical form of a 1-arm? For example, can you grasp one wrist or forearm with the other arm, or does the "free" arm have to freehang?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Great work!
I am constantly humbled by the great progress of the CFers in this community.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:
The one arm chin is done with only one arm. If you are pulling on your wrist with the other arm, then it is actually only a little harder than a two armed chin (though a lot more painful if you ask me).

Which one is harder? I wouldn't know, since I have never managed a one arm chin or a double bodyweight one. They are probably very similar in strength requirement, but two arms is even whereas one arm is not so. I imagine there might be a slight difference, but not much. The greatest difference between the one versus two arm work that I can see is that near the bottom, it can be very hard to keep yourself from spinning. Jack Arnow (one of the better one arm chinners) and Alexander Lechner have an article on dragondoor about the one arm chin and the spinning issue is addressed there.
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/232/

Here is another;
http://beastskills.com/OneArmPull.htm
Old 07-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Patrick H.
Some people take a chain, then wrap a towel around it and use it as the belt. That ought to cushion your hips. Congratulations on getting that weight. If you nearly did two reps at 100#, you can probably go up to 110-120# for a 1RM, assuming you aren't worn out.

Steven Low is also training for a 1 arm chin. He began working on that around page 7 of his log here, doing mostly weighted pull-ups and negatives: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/i...p?topic=3048.0 (Safe.)

Note: Derek
Both links are safe.