CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:11 AM   #121
George Noble

Profile:
Re: T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit

If this is the same Poliquin piece I read, it's so stupid it kinda rebuts itself.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #122
Douglas Chapman

Profile:

My perspective is a little different: The more people who talk about CrossFit, the more curious, intelligent and open minded people will check it out. The more people who check it out, the more people I train, the better my kid's education fund gets. The more people who check it out the more people who will sign on and it grows.

Can someone link to the Poliquin article, I would like to read it.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #123
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Noble View Post
If this is the same Poliquin piece I read, it's so stupid it kinda rebuts itself.
That's what I thought at first, but he has a more specific article.

http://www.nickmitchellblog.com/2008...sfit-training/ (mostly wfs, one cuss word).

I don't quite disagree with his points, but I'm not satisfied with his conclusions.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #124
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
That's what I thought at first, but he has a more specific article.

http://www.nickmitchellblog.com/2008...sfit-training/ (mostly wfs, one cuss word).

I don't quite disagree with his points, but I'm not satisfied with his conclusions.
He made some good points but he brought it out in an ignorant manner which is usually how people will always view Crossfit without actual exposure to it. People always like to knock on things they have never tried before.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #125
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

What are "inappropriate exercises? Says who? What is improper exercise order? Says who? Just because Mr. Poloquin disagrees with CrossFit doesn't make CF wrong. And professional/elite athletes shouldn't use CF vice sport specific training? Wow, that's a shocking grasp of the obvious. Next time I decide I want to be an Olympic shot putter or NFL star I'll keep that in mind. This is rehashed Boyle stuff which is irrelevant and overtaken by events, Next.

Last edited by Robert D Taylor Jr; 11-13-2008 at 03:38 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #126
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Agreed, I love these article that say crossfit won't help you become a workd class weightlifter, powerlifter, etc. I don't think anyone has has ever said it would. Also, all this talk about muscle imbalances. Shouldn't using full body excersizes through a full range of motion eliminate or prevent muscle imbalances.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #127
Bob Long

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Agreed, I love these article that say crossfit won't help you become a workd class weightlifter, powerlifter, etc. I don't think anyone has has ever said it would.

Well, maybe someone sorta has done just that:

"Today, we are a leading force in elite physical conditioning with a growing influence in military, police, and martial arts communities and a growing roster of national, world, and Olympic champions from more than a dozen sports."

Source:
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/arch...ewglassman.htm

Old 11-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #128
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

and from the same source
"If you come to us with a 4-minute mile, six months into it you are going to be 30 seconds slower but a whole hell of a lot fitter. Similarly, if you come to us with a 900-pound squat, in six months it's going to be 750 pounds, but you, too, will be much fitter. A 4-minute mile and a 900-pound squat are both clear and compelling evidence of a lack of balance in your program. This doesn't reflect the limitations of our program but the inherent nature of flesh and blood. "

If your sport is based on only one energy path way (straight endurance or strength, what have been called fringe sports by CF), Crossfit will be less effective as a training protocol. But if you play a sport or are engaged in an activity that requires many energy pathways (field sports, combative sports, law enforcment) then Crossfit becomes much more useful.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #129
Robert Wolf

Profile:

I finally finished my review of the Poliquin Biosignature seminar and my thoughts on his Case Against Crossfit. You can find that here:
http://*************/?p=285
I think it's WFS.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #130
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Based on what I'm seeing in that SPARQ test, I would be inclined to disagree with the idea that it's a good test of fitness. It seems mostly geared towards sprinting and related heavily to sports like football or basketball. It's not the worst test in the world, but hardly an extensive one such as could be used to test all-around fitness. For instance, picking up a heavy object (which will always be an important time and modal domain) is completely ignored in the SPARQ.
Well what tests would you suggest? The sparq tests lower body power, upper body power, speed, agility and anaerobic endurance. Those are several of the metrics for which we feel CF improves.

Closed Thread