CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/35414.jpg

Here's what you need. The wheels are $10 each and have a very nice spinning set of bearings in the center. I didn't like the plain plastic wheels with just a hole in the middle for $6. To make one ab wheel you need a 12 foot piece of threaded rod, two lock nuts, 4 big washers, pipe insulation, 1/2 inch PVC and 2" PVC...and of course a pair of wheels.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/35415.jpg

I taped the rod with white athletic tape to fatten it up a bit so that the 1/2" PVC pipe fit over the top of it snugly. Slide a section of foam insulation into the 2" PVC pipe and make sure about a 1/4 inch of it sticks out of each end. I'll measure the pipe lengths for anyone who wants to make a set. You'll see the need for the extra foam length in bit. Stick the rod through the wheel and screw on the nut. You'll want a washer on the outside and inside of the wheel. Slide the 1/2" PVC over the taped rod then slide the 2" PVC with the foam inside over the 1/2" rod. Put a washer on the rod and attach the other wheel.

Two things. I beveled the inner edge of the 2" PVC pipe so that it followed the rounded shape of the inside of each wheel face. The extended length of foam allows you to tighten the wheels against the resistance of the foam which holds all the pieces firmly together and keeps them from rattling. The beveled inside makes for a very snug feet that covers the inner washer and makes for a better looking fit.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/35416.jpg

This better looking fit is evident when you see the completed project and look to the ends of each of the handles. The handles don't quite touch the hubs of the wheel but it is very close and it looks nice. I wrapped the outer PVC pipe with black athletic tape which gives the handles a nice, no-slip feel. There is plenty of width to the handle so that your arms don't touch the wheels during exercise.

With these things you can do your ab wheel work one arm at a time in alternating fashion. Lots of variations there. You can also try that furniture dolly thing I posted a while ago to allow for ever greater freedom of movement with not only independent arm movement but also non-linear lines of motion.

Have fun.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Travis Loest

Profile:
Eugene,
So why do you need the 12 foot piece of threaded rod? Is that so you have 10 feet left over for misc. mad scientist exericse equipment ideas?:devil:
Old 01-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Or just use a dumbbell/barbbell bars with like 5/10lbs plates on the sides.

(Message edited by mike_od on January 14, 2007)
Old 01-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Say "Toy Boat" six times really fast. How many times did you say "Toe Boit"? Well, I was sitting as I am now at my compter desk with hungry kids, the Spiderman DVD getting close to the end, bath time closing in...pressure, lots of pressure and "twelve inches" "one foot" was dancing in my head. Rather than stick with one measure I picked one from each column and bingo, extra threaded rod.

Sorry, what I meant to say is that you need 1/3 of a rod of threaded yard. No wait. Oh never mind, make a bunch of them.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Travis' discovery got me to read through my post a bit better and I saw another error. I said "Two things" but only mentioned one. The first thing was to leave a 1/4 inch of foam sticking out each end of the black PVC and the second thing is to cut the 1/2 PVC just a bit shorter than the 2" PVC. This allows the rounded shape of the interior surface of the wheel to push just slightly into the inner taper of the 2" PVC. That nice fit thing.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Eugene,
You never cease to amaze me. Unbelievable.

All the best,
Arden