CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Paul Worman

Profile:
I found these on a website and was wondering what people thought about them. They seem really solid and certainly you would save a ton of money since they are adjustable and could make any weight you want up to 80 lbs. Link is family/work safe.

http://www.ironcompany.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1547
Old 01-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Nathan Sobczak

Profile:
Kettlebells have been discussed several times before, use the search function. check out dragondoor, I got my KB from them and their great.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Paul Worman

Profile:
I know there is a ton of kettlebell info on the boards. This is just a product that I have not seen posted and was looking for some opinions of it and to let people know about it.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Bruce Kocher

Profile:
Paul: These look very similar to the handles sold by Ironwoody. They work well but are not easily adjusted. I have a set of the Ironwoody brand and I just leave them set at a weight. Trying to change loads between sets or exercises is just too much trouble. They also only load so heavy because of room under or around the handle. My heaviest is about 90 pounds, my 25# plates just don't fit and 8-9 10# plates is all that will fit. They are durable and comfortable after you file off the seam on the handles. Hope this helps. B
Old 01-20-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Paul, here is a recent thread on another brand of kettlebell handles. I woudl assume the issues raised would also apply to the brand you are looking at as well.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/35330.html (WS/FS)

Cheers, kempie
Old 01-20-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Paul Worman

Profile:
Thanks for the comments guys. I would really like to get some kettlebells but they are expensive. I don't know how much I would be wanting to change the weight on the kbell during a particular workout so maybe these would be a cheaper alternative to actual kbells.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Paul Findley

Profile:
You are better off saving the money you would spend on these and the weights for them (if you don't have 1" plates) and buying a 16kg and a 24kg kettlebell, or whatever weights you think you need. I have heard these just look good on paper, but in use they are not that great, specifically, how they hit your arm, etc. Another less expensive alternative is to buy dumbells at your local sporting goods store and swing, snatch, clean etc. them.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Lewis Dunn

Profile:
Paul, I have that Kettlestack handle and I would tend to agree with what Paul F said. Changing weights is not at all quick and they are quite uncomfortable for doing KB snatches (at least for me, with less than perfect technique). Mine has been set at 50 pounds for months now and is relegated to doing KB Swings only (it's very good for that). It seems to be a well made product, and I find the handle very comfortable. It's just not very convenient to use, not a great substitute for an actual KB, and has proven to be, for me, money not well spent. If you really want to do KB movements, I'd buy the real thing, which is what I'll do once some other expenses are taken care of.