CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #61
Dustin Standel

Profile:
Re: Gslp

On GSLP, where does one start there progression at weight wise?

On SS, the other LP Strength porgram I'm somewhat familiar with, the starting weights are significantly below 5RM with the expectation of 4-6 weeks of weightlifting before hitting them. With the AMRAP sets on GSLP, I'd be in the 12-15 rep range for each AMRAP set if I set my weights that low.

I'm also not sure I follow all the discussion of resetting? What is that about?

(I'm trying to learn about strength training with only CF and Arnold/Weider type BB'ing as a background reference.)
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #62
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Starting out in the 12-15 rep range for the AMRAP sets is fine--you'll get good strength and hypertrophy gains from those kind of sets, and the reps will decrease and sort themselves out over time. And highrep squats in particular involve a pretty significant mental toughness component as well.

If you start a little low and get a huge number of reps you could go with double sized weight jumps for a few weeks or just let things work out on their own. I would recommend trying to keep deadlifts in the 7-8 reps range though, there's more things that can go wrong with highrep deadlifts.

With GSLP you reset 10% on the weights when you stall, just like SS, but the difference is the AMRAP set. Say you stall at 250lbs and reset to 225lbs--at this point you're stronger than you were the last time you were at 225lbs, so you'll get more reps on your AMRAP sets at 225/230/235 than you did the last time through those weights. Which means you'll be able to push well past 250lbs before stalling again.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #63
Dustin Standel

Profile:

I hit up a GSLP workout today. This is what my results looked like:

(Weight X reps X sets)
Bench Press
45 X 5 X 2
65 X 5
85 X 5
110 X 5
125 X 5 X 2
125 X AMRAP - 20 reps completed (NEED TO DOUBLE THE INCREASE FOR FRI)

Back Squat
45 X 5 X 2
65 X 5
95 X 3
130 X 2
165 X 5 X 2
165 X AMRAP - 12 reps completed (ALMOST PERFECT ESTIMATION OF WHERE I WANTED TO BE)

Barbell Curl
25 X 5 X 2
30 X 5 (USED AN AXLE BAR)
45 X 3
50 X 2
55 X 15 X 2

Neck Extensions using the Neck Harness
10 X 25 X 4

Pull-Ups (RED BAND) 3 sets X 10/8/6

I realize I screwed up the number of reps on the Bench Press, and was too conservative on the weight for the Bench Press (or I was braver today because I had a better spotter). So I plan on increasing the weight by 10# on FRI session and see where that gets me. Should I also add double weight next time for the squats or just stick to the regular linear progression?
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #64
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you're at 12 reps things will sort themselves out just fine--I'd go with normal jumps rather than being in a hurry to stall out. You're right about 20 being too many though, a 10lb jump should help out there and bring things down closer to 10-12.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #65
Michael Burke

Profile:

I recently started on this program after doing stronglifts 5x5, 3x5, then a short short attempt of 1x5. I think concentrating on one big upper body and one big lower body movement per day is refreshing, and deadlifts once a week seems to be helping me recover.

Regarding the lack of rows...I don't think it's an issue because the assistance is optional and you can plug in whatever you want, with the recommendation you stick in a certain rep range. Not to mention the suggestion of frequency method chin-ups which you do all the time, and once a week weighted chin ups on top of that.

I'm curious how this would work if using ramping sets instead of sets across, though...more like a regular 1st week 531 only each time you increase the training max. To me that seems more logical if the purpose of the first two sets are as described, 'heavy warmups'. I might try that after a reset.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #66
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Burke View Post
I recently started on this program after doing stronglifts 5x5, 3x5, then a short short attempt of 1x5. I think concentrating on one big upper body and one big lower body movement per day is refreshing, and deadlifts once a week seems to be helping me recover.

Regarding the lack of rows...I don't think it's an issue because the assistance is optional and you can plug in whatever you want, with the recommendation you stick in a certain rep range. Not to mention the suggestion of frequency method chin-ups which you do all the time, and once a week weighted chin ups on top of that.

I'm curious how this would work if using ramping sets instead of sets across, though...more like a regular 1st week 531 only each time you increase the training max. To me that seems more logical if the purpose of the first two sets are as described, 'heavy warmups'. I might try that after a reset.
Once the reps get down into the 5-8 range the first two sets definitely won't be "heavy warmup". As for the 10+ days, I can't say for sure that sets across is better, but it's certainly nice to not have to swap weights!

BTW, I'm about 3 weeks in now and I've gotten 10 reps on bench press for the last 4 bench workouts. I'm using 2.5 lb jumps and really want to do a 5 lb jump. Someone please remind me that it's better to be patient (or am I being too conservative?).

Last edited by David Meverden : 08-16-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #67
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Dave--1st remember if you jump too fast you'll have to reset sooner and that might slow overall progress. It's best to add 2.5 every week for several months then 5lbs for 3 weeks then have to reset. Plus, in my brain when I add 2.5 it helps me get over mental barriers--"It's only 2.5lbs so its virtually the same weight" kind of mind trickery.

On a side note, what pulled you away from the conjugate model?

-Bob
Old 08-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #68
Chris Mason

Profile:

Ok, so what is GSLP?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #69
John McCord

Profile:

Grey Skull Linear Progression.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #70
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Grey Skull Linear Progression

http://strengthvillain.com/?page_id=20 (WFS except for dirty Tshirt)

It outlines a basic format Squat/Press one day, Bench/Deadlift one day, then based on your fitness goals you add in various plug ins. Either conditioning work, extra strength work or even skills work.

The core lifts are worked after a warmup with 2 sets of five and then a failure set of the same weight.

It's a pretty simple program but has some nice flexibility.