CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #51
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu Teekkari View Post
Also, I like how his e-book is significantly more expensive than Rippetoe's Practical Programming or Cressey's Maximum Strength, both of which are actual books. Or you can get Defranco's WS4SB 3 pdf for free and he actually trains real athletes.
It could be that it's also a lot more new than those others? Just a thought.

If I were going to do an lp program, this would be the one I did. I think it address things very well, and would be more suited to my goals.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #52
Teemu Teekkari

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
He advocates barbell or dumbbell rows for people who think they need them, but doesn't think they're required for most people in a basic strength program.
Well, I disagree. It's important to balance benching with scapular retraction movements such as rows. I guess you could get the same effect from really strict chest-to-bar chin-ups, but most people probably won't do them that way.

Quote:
Neck extensions are the main sort of neck strengthening work done by boxers, MMA fighters, and athletes in contact sports. Flexion is rarely trained, if at all.
And does it prevent injuries or is it just something that everybody does because everybody else does it? In any case, isometric exercises are probably safer and more effective if neck stability is the goal.

Quote:
He admits that a lot of his nutrition stuff is broscience, but it's based on what he's seen work/not work while coaching and consulting with several hundred people. I put more stock in that sort of experience than I do in most lab science. And milk is known for making people fat because of its lactose content and the IGF-1....just look at the feedback you'll get from pretty much anyone who's done GOMAD.
A gallon of whole milk has about 2400 kcal. Don't you think this might have something to do with the fattening effect of GOMAD?

Btw, Martin Berkhan thinks that carbs in the evening are awesome. He is leaner (and probably stronger) than Johnny Pain and Martin's clients have seen some pretty impressive results, so clearly he wins in the anecdote department.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #53
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

SS doesn't have rows. I guess that means that it's not a well thought-out program, either?

And I agree that the ebook is on the expensive side. However, it does have a lot more information than most other ebooks I've seen. Plus he's willing to answer any question you post on his forum about it.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #54
Thom Knapp

Profile:

I do agree with your assessment of the nutrition portion... it is mostly broscience.

Having committed to the GSLP about 3 months ago, I dove right in but couldn't really get on board with his nutrition recommendations. I have followed more of a cyclic low carb approach as recommended by Robb Wolf. I still hit the same macro ratios recommended by JP but I get almost all of the carbs PWO and almost none on rest days... I think it has worked well for me.

Some numbers for you... I am 6'11'' so squatting has always been an issue for me.

Starting 1rm's:

Squat: 205
Bench: 230
Press: 145
DL: 315

This weeks numbers on the AMRAP sets:

Squat: 205 x 9
Bench: 220 x 8
Press: 137.5 x 7
DL: 260 x 9

I probably started off too low on my deadlift, but I really wanted to focus on my form as I worked my way up.... similar story on the squats.

Additionally, I have put on 15 lbs since I started and just a little bit of fat... my six pack is now just slightly visible.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #55
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Knapp View Post
I am 6'11'' so squatting has always been an issue for me.
I'm assuming it's because they don't have squat racks for people your size? lol
Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #56
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pellegrini View Post
I'm assuming it's because they don't have squat racks for people your size? lol
NO JOKE!!! How the heck does that work?!?! If I saw a dude your height in my gym doing full a2g squats I would have to stand there and gawk!!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #57
Thom Knapp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
NO JOKE!!! How the heck does that work?!?! If I saw a dude your height in my gym doing full a2g squats I would have to stand there and gawk!!
There is a hell of a long way for me to move the weight... oh well, such is life.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #58
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

What you lose in squatability you gain in dunkability.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #59
Travis Rask

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Knapp View Post
I do agree with your assessment of the nutrition portion... it is mostly broscience.
His broscience is essentially the same as Bill Phillip's "Body for Life" eating program. It actually works pretty well...not sure if it's better than Paleo though.

I'm trying it out right now...not 100% sold on it. I've done BFL before, and Paleo. I felt much better on Paleo though. Might go back to it...just nervous about losing strength.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #60
Alexander Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
[paraphrased] - sets and reps don't matter .. just squat, push, and pull and remain consistent for long periods of time..... gold
So true. I think it is hard to find the perfect program as what might be right for some, may not be right for others. I have never been one to follow programs, just not really my thing. There are a lot of great programs out there(WS4SB, GSLP, SS, 70's Big, etc. I say find which one works best for you, suits your time needs, and is sustainable. I have been training consistently for over 13 years and the regimen I follow continues get me stronger and is mostly built from what I learned in school(4x4 matrix and the S.A.I.D priciple).