CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-02-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
Steve Kaspar

Profile:
reading all the WOD reports, it looks like there are some very strong crossfitters. just curious as to what athletic background most have come from. any former high school or college runners or swimmers? any cyclists? are for the most part, do most come from a bodybuilding/weightlifting background?
it would be interesting to read some replies on how everyone did at their sport, and why they decided to get into crossfit.
thsanks
steve kaspar
Old 01-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Martin Schap

Profile:
Steve
before Crossfit I was a high school cross country runner and a D3 track athlete. I never really competed in track because of an injury, and with the injury I got a lot more serious about my lifting because I couldn't run. Once I got back to running I was lifting heavy (PLing) 5-6 times a week and running about the same amount. I had a 19 something 5k, a 310 bench and a 385DL. I won't count squat because I was doing it wrong. I also had about 15 pull-ups and 60 odd push-ups.

The biggest difference I have noticed since crossfit (about 1 year now) is that I get those same results in a lot less time. I was wasting a lot of time doing my running and lifting separately, and I thought I needed to lift for an hour at a time, so I would do a lot of "support" exercises that I now realize probably just made me sore.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Michael Ernest Estrada

Profile:
I was president of the tapout club, lol.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Cameron Mochrie

Profile:
I was really into sports as a kid: hockey, baseball, basketball, running, cross country skiing. I almost moved away from home to go into a junior development program for skiing but decided not to so pretty much gave it up at the start of highschool. Through highschool I developed really bad Osgood-Schlaters so most sports went out the window. Got to college and started to lift weights off and on for a few years before discovering crossfit. It's really great seeing some of my natural athleticism return after all these years.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
Travis Loest

Profile:
Ha, I was a fat tub of lard when I finished high school. Then I joined the Infantry and that changed for the most part, had an accident and got a little chunky, lost it, then quit smoking and got a little chunky again, slowly loosing it thanks to crossfit. I run slower now than i use to, i think that's more an attribute to age than anything else.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Jeff Gentry

Profile:
I ran in High high school, could do a 5:30 mile, mainly ran the 800m did it in 2:08, joined the Marine Corp, Infantry, was a 300 PFT'er ran 3 mile's in 17:00 min., 20 pull up's in 2 minute's, 80 sit up's in 2 minute's, rode bull for about 5 year's, rock climbed for a few year's, white water kayaked for about 4 year's, cycled for about 2 year's, had an accident free climbing broke my self up pretty good, so i no longer run that is why i took up cycling haven't cycled in about 3 year's, been studing Historic European martial art's for about the last 3 year's, just took up BJJ about a month ago.

Jeff
Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
Ian Carver

Profile:
I ran track and wrestled thoughout high school. I was also getting into cycling (road racing) and found my true calling. As a talented junior I was soon racing in senior events. Soon I was able to upgrade to race with the top US pro and amateurs. Later, I was able to race in Europe as a Category 1 amateur in the mid 90's, while living in Belgium. I raced for a couple Belgian trade teams as well as represented the US for several one day and stage races under the stars and stripes jersey. I came back to the states and raced for a California pro/am team, but bad luck plagued me more often than good results came in. I tore my quad skiing one winter and it never healed correctly causing all kinds of issues for me the next race season. I pulled the plug way before I wanted to and before some goals were reached, but I have many great memories. I did some huge races in the US and Europe alongside many of our current big names - Armstrong, Hincapie, Hamilton, Hegg, Klasna, Fraser, etc. It was worth it in the end.

I got into Law Enforcement on a whim in 1997 and began to bulk up over the ensuing years from my race weight of 155-160 to a max of 205 four years later. I was doing the hardcore BB thing all the way, but the crux was balancing cardio with strength, and I could never get it right. My weight would vary between 195 to 185 dependent upon what I was trying to acheive. With CF I am a steadily at about 185 with about 8-9% BF.

While working at Santa Cruz Sheriff's Office, I had the opportunity to be one of Greg Amundson's patrol training officers. Greg and I in the same car were like freaky fitness twins but we all knew he was doing some nutty "black ops" workouts from hell (ask me about Greg's Big Blue workout on the beach sometime...nuts..). I also met Jason Highbarger of CFSC at the gym where I worked out and he also tried convincing me to vary my program, but I was too stubborn and not open minded enough at the time. I finally started CF style workouts about 18 months ago and kick myself for not having done it sooner.

Besides Cf, I still ride for fun (although I miss racing like hell), play hockey occasionally, run, grapple, inline skate, and do some adventure racing when I get the chance. Long post, I know - sorry. Stay safe and stay fit out there!!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I was a fat, heavily smoking advertiser. Now I'm a fit, somewhat smoking advertiser.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:11 AM   #9
Adam Noble

Profile:
Growing up all different kinds of sports from soccer and lacrosse, to gymnastics and martial arts. Started down the road of ski racing a a little kid in Colorado, but it morphed into snowboarding (21 seasons this year, lived it for 7 years) as I moved East and took up skateboarding. College, played Rugby for UVM. Started weightlifting to pass the time during recovery from a shattered ankle. Took up BJJ 2 years ago. Got cancer, and discovered Crossfit last April, while searching for a better way to regain...well everything really.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:13 AM   #10
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
I am a personal trainer by trade at the moment.

In school I was a pretty good all round sportsmen, played volleyball for the school once or twice, was just starting out with throwing stuff when I had "issues" with my knee which took me out of school for a year and left me unable to run jump or twist on return - think I may have been ok at throwing, broke the school record for my year on my first ever javelin throw so who knows :-)

Anyhow, now days I am loving weight training and crossfit oh and personal training - seem to have accquired the nickname "hitman Ham" at work for some reason ;)