CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Christin Street

Profile:
"The Neurotic Zone" or "On Counting Walnuts"

So, I decided a week ago to give the Zone a try. I didn't want to lose weight since I'm 5'9", 138 and 12%bf last time I was dunked. What I had (and still have) hoped for was a way to increase my performance, get stronger, run faster, etc.

So after buying an gi-normous amount of eggs, milk, meat, nuts, fruits and veggies, I tried the Zone. I lasted for about 2 days. Pathetic, I know.

I felt so neurotic measuring and weighing everything. Counting walnuts?Forget it! All I thought about was FOOD, FOOD, FOOD and when/where/what my next meal would be. It reminded me of when I was a college freshman and tried to lose those "freshman 10" that I'd packed on from pizza, beer, and midnight munchies at the dorm. Back then we counted calories instead of blocks. We weighed and measured everything. Sure it worked, but it certainly wasn't a way to live long term. It was a quick fix.

I train hard damnit! Do I really have to deprive myself to be a more successful crossfitter? I'm not ruling the Zone out at this point. I just need testimony. Success stories. Failure stories. I'd love to hear your stats too if you don't mind (age, height, weight, bodyfat, if known). Before/after the Zone, or No Zone.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:
Re: "The Neurotic Zone" or "On Counting Walnuts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin Street View Post

I train hard damnit! Do I really have to deprive myself to be a more successful crossfitter? I'm not ruling the Zone out at this point. I just need testimony. Success stories. Failure stories. I'd love to hear your stats too if you don't mind (age, height, weight, bodyfat, if known). Before/after the Zone, or No Zone.
This is likely atypical (and a reflection on how bad my diet was before I started to Crossfit), but I decided to give the Zone a try for two weeks, just to see what would happen.

I lost 14 pounds and my Crossfit performance skyrocketed. My deadlift max increased quite significantly, and my Fran improved more than I had any right to.

Now that I've been doing it awhile, that's all stabalized (can't expect amazing results all the time), but that initial change had me sold. I'm actually afraid that if I dropped out of the Zone now, I'd start gaining weight and my performance would decrease.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
John Daniel

Profile:

Christine,

I go out to Crossfit Santa Cruz at least once yearly and workout in the classes. You can spot the Zoner's very easily. Anyone out there that has done it a year or so has the lowest possible body fat on muscular bodies.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Alan Kalbarczyk

Profile:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...TeeterPre2.wmv F&^%$ @ 1:14

"With Great Sacrafice comes Great Reward"
Old 04-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Alicia Michel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin Street View Post
I felt so neurotic measuring and weighing everything. Counting walnuts?Forget it! All I thought about was FOOD, FOOD, FOOD and when/where/what my next meal would be. It reminded me of when I was a college freshman and tried to lose those "freshman 10" that I'd packed on from pizza, beer, and midnight munchies at the dorm. Back then we counted calories instead of blocks. We weighed and measured everything. Sure it worked, but it certainly wasn't a way to live long term. It was a quick fix.
Christin your post reminded me of this: http://*************/?p=38 (WFS)
Old 04-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

Christin, I started the zone 3 weeks ago. I weighed and measured all the food. I ate out at least 6 times the first two weeks. I had the zone outline in mind. I plan on being 100% in the zone at the start of week 4. I have lost at least 10lbs by being on the zone at bout 70%. My energy level has increased, which is great. Soon you will be able to eye ball instead of weighing. The bottom line is the zone works. Be discipined for two weeks. You will lose the taste for many of the unfavorable foods. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Nick Cummings

Profile:

So are you saying that you "can't" do the Zone?
Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
chris adams

Profile:

christin:
I'm 2 weeks + into the zone. been strictly measuring and weighing. The hardest part isn't that but putting it meals together. Posted a white board in my kitchen and that helps me to keep my blocks straight. ALso constantly searching out recipes to try. Experimenting with as many new foods as I can keeps it fresh.

At first I was hungry all the time. Now the food is satisfying. I'm still getting sweet cravings but they are diminishing.

I've lost 4 lbs and 1%bf. However, performance was my goal too. All my scores have been skyrocketing compared to what they were. ex: dropped over 3 min off of my elizabeth last week.

I've been sleeping less and waking up earlier with just as much if not more energy. My energy levels are much more even and I am developing a better sense of how foods affect me.

I think it's worth the effort!
Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 AM   #9
Jack Gayton

Profile:

If you stick w/ the measuring for two weeks, you should get a very good idea of what proper portions are. You will also, if you're like most, find that you eat a lot of the same stuff.. So, the need for weighing, measuring, even thinking constantly about what you eat will drop significantly.

I use wfs www.fitday.com to track calories and macros.. When I first got into zone, I used it every day, every meal. Now, I use it whenever I feel off track.

Give it two weeks.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I can do the Zone when Iím living alone.
Add in a family, or even a partner, and I canít get things to come out right. This many blocks? How much, exactly, is my 3 blocks out of that 21 blocks of that chili? Youíre taking too much! Etc.
So I concentrate on whole, unprocessed foods instead, and eat three meals a day plus a little grazing in between. Iím not Ms. Lean Abs by a long shot, but I am in a place that Iím happy about, my performance is getting consistently better over time per my log book, and Iím getting along with everyone before, during, and after meals.
As far as thinking about food constantly goes, though, I canít help you there. Iím a foodie. Inveterate, uncurable. I spend at least as much time thinking about food and cooking as I do thinking about CrossFitÖthere. I said it.

Would Zoning be better for my performance? Yes, probably, in one arena: physical appearance and functionality. But the cost to other areas of performance in my life makes it not worthwhile at this point. I like thinking about my food, not doing complex math problems before I can eat dinner. And I value my family relationships more than just about anything else that I could name.