CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Frank Dennis
Member Frank Dennis is offline
 
Frank Dennis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indianapolis  IN
Posts: 1,162
Re: Funny/Interesting Movie I saw: King Kong A Fistful of Quarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Armbruster View Post
King of Kong was great!

I saw Trekkies back in the theater. There were 3 or 4 other people in the entire place. After a while they took off, so I was in there all by myself.

One of the best times I've ever had at the movies. I was yelling "You people are loosers!" at the screen, and basking in the irony of the situation!
I loved "Trekkies," and I am one, though not to the degree of some of the people in that movie.

Apparently, Denise Crosby caught a great deal of flak from Star Trek fandom for that film (can't imaging why? ) and years later she did another one, "Trekkies II," which follows up with most of those people and shows you some slightly less obsessively insane fans.

The interesting bit in the second film is about that kid from the first one who was making a fan movie, the one who answered the phone and yelled at the caller, and who couldn't pronounce "plethora?" Yeah, he's now an adult, has a smoking hot wife, and does the CGI renders for the new "Battlestar Galactica." He says he'll still get calls from random people who saw the first movie, tracked him down, and want him to yell at them over the phone.

I guess now Trekkies have Trekkie-ies...
__________________
"It isn't safe out here. It is wondrous... with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it is not for the timid!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
Kurt Armbruster
Member Kurt Armbruster is offline
 
Kurt Armbruster's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary  AB
Posts: 469
Re: Funny/Interesting Movie I saw: King Kong A Fistful of Quarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
I loved "Trekkies," and I am one, though not to the degree of some of the people in that movie.

Apparently, Denise Crosby caught a great deal of flak from Star Trek fandom for that film (can't imaging why? ) and years later she did another one, "Trekkies II," which follows up with most of those people and shows you some slightly less obsessively insane fans.

The interesting bit in the second film is about that kid from the first one who was making a fan movie, the one who answered the phone and yelled at the caller, and who couldn't pronounce "plethora?" Yeah, he's now an adult, has a smoking hot wife, and does the CGI renders for the new "Battlestar Galactica." He says he'll still get calls from random people who saw the first movie, tracked him down, and want him to yell at them over the phone.

I guess now Trekkies have Trekkie-ies...
I wear my geek on my sleve! Saw Trekkies II when it hit the movie channels. If you remember the Town of Vulcan from the first movie, it's only about a 90 minute drive from Calgary. I went out to their "Spock Days" a couple of years back when their tourism center opened up a VR game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
Frank Dennis
Member Frank Dennis is offline
 
Frank Dennis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indianapolis  IN
Posts: 1,162
Re: Funny/Interesting Movie I saw: King Kong A Fistful of Quarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Armbruster View Post
I wear my geek on my sleve! Saw Trekkies II when it hit the movie channels. If you remember the Town of Vulcan from the first movie, it's only about a 90 minute drive from Calgary. I went out to their "Spock Days" a couple of years back when their tourism center opened up a VR game.
That's awesome... I've always wanted to go there.

Did you know they closed the Star Trek Experience at the Vegas Hilton? That kind of sucks. Did you ever get to go?
__________________
"It isn't safe out here. It is wondrous... with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it is not for the timid!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
Kurt Armbruster
Member Kurt Armbruster is offline
 
Kurt Armbruster's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary  AB
Posts: 469
Re: Funny/Interesting Movie I saw: King Kong A Fistful of Quarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
That's awesome... I've always wanted to go there.

Did you know they closed the Star Trek Experience at the Vegas Hilton? That kind of sucks. Did you ever get to go?
Got there once a bit over a year ago. Glad I made it before they closed it down. Not sure my wife enjoyed it as much as I did though.

Not sure if you listen to this or not, but there's a great SF podcast called Slice of Scifi, out of Phoenix. http://www.sliceofscifi.com (link WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
Peter Keller
Member Peter Keller is offline
 
Peter Keller's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin  TX
Posts: 337
Re: Funny/Interesting Movie I saw: King Kong A Fistful of Quarters

Back to the OP, Billy Mitchell called up theavclub.com a while back more-or-less out of the blue and did an impromptu interview about the film. It's an interesting read if you liked the film:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-k...mp-billy,2159/ WFS
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #16
Matt Smiley
Member Matt Smiley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Jenkintown  PA
Posts: 74
Re: Funny/Interesting Movie I saw: King Kong A Fistful of Quarters

There's another good read about this guy that I encountered in Harper's last summer. I remember thinking that it was a pretty fascinating subculture. Here's a wfs link to the article if anyone is interested:
http://laweekly.blogs.com/joshuah_be...y_mitchell.pdf
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
Adam Scheiner
Member Adam Scheiner is offline
 
Adam Scheiner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 1,091
Re: Funny/Interesting Movie I saw: King Kong A Fistful of Quarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Keller View Post
Back to the OP, Billy Mitchell called up theavclub.com a while back more-or-less out of the blue and did an impromptu interview about the film. It's an interesting read if you liked the film:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-k...mp-billy,2159/ WFS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Smiley View Post
There's another good read about this guy that I encountered in Harper's last summer. I remember thinking that it was a pretty fascinating subculture. Here's a wfs link to the article if anyone is interested:
http://laweekly.blogs.com/joshuah_be...y_mitchell.pdf
Thanks Peter and Matt. He's an interesting guy.
__________________
my log
My affiliate
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #18
Mark Knisely
Member Mark Knisely is offline
 
Mark Knisely's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Battleford  SK
Posts: 89
Re: Funny/Interesting Movie I saw: King Kong A Fistful of Quarters

Some good documentaries I've seen are Religulous, Bigger Stronger Faster, Sicko, Who Killed the Electric Car? amd Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room all very good documentaries in my opinion check em out.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hong Kong Daniel Gam In Search of CrossFitters 22 05-29-2013 12:31 PM
Josh Everett's "KING KONG" David Schneider Workout of the Day 34 11-28-2008 10:06 AM
King Kong ain't got Sh@%# on this! Jeremy S Barnett Competitions 22 11-12-2008 07:24 PM
Crossfit Head Quarters Next door? Aaron Wilson Community 0 08-30-2007 05:32 PM
Interesting and funny :-) Mark Garcia Workout of the Day 8 04-24-2006 08:34 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.