CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Frank Dennis

Profile:
Re: Funny/Interesting Movie I saw: King Kong A Fistful of Quarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Armbruster View Post
King of Kong was great!

I saw Trekkies back in the theater. There were 3 or 4 other people in the entire place. After a while they took off, so I was in there all by myself.

One of the best times I've ever had at the movies. I was yelling "You people are loosers!" at the screen, and basking in the irony of the situation!
I loved "Trekkies," and I am one, though not to the degree of some of the people in that movie.

Apparently, Denise Crosby caught a great deal of flak from Star Trek fandom for that film (can't imaging why? ) and years later she did another one, "Trekkies II," which follows up with most of those people and shows you some slightly less obsessively insane fans.

The interesting bit in the second film is about that kid from the first one who was making a fan movie, the one who answered the phone and yelled at the caller, and who couldn't pronounce "plethora?" Yeah, he's now an adult, has a smoking hot wife, and does the CGI renders for the new "Battlestar Galactica." He says he'll still get calls from random people who saw the first movie, tracked him down, and want him to yell at them over the phone.

I guess now Trekkies have Trekkie-ies...
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
I loved "Trekkies," and I am one, though not to the degree of some of the people in that movie.

Apparently, Denise Crosby caught a great deal of flak from Star Trek fandom for that film (can't imaging why? ) and years later she did another one, "Trekkies II," which follows up with most of those people and shows you some slightly less obsessively insane fans.

The interesting bit in the second film is about that kid from the first one who was making a fan movie, the one who answered the phone and yelled at the caller, and who couldn't pronounce "plethora?" Yeah, he's now an adult, has a smoking hot wife, and does the CGI renders for the new "Battlestar Galactica." He says he'll still get calls from random people who saw the first movie, tracked him down, and want him to yell at them over the phone.

I guess now Trekkies have Trekkie-ies...
I wear my geek on my sleve! Saw Trekkies II when it hit the movie channels. If you remember the Town of Vulcan from the first movie, it's only about a 90 minute drive from Calgary. I went out to their "Spock Days" a couple of years back when their tourism center opened up a VR game.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Armbruster View Post
I wear my geek on my sleve! Saw Trekkies II when it hit the movie channels. If you remember the Town of Vulcan from the first movie, it's only about a 90 minute drive from Calgary. I went out to their "Spock Days" a couple of years back when their tourism center opened up a VR game.
That's awesome... I've always wanted to go there.

Did you know they closed the Star Trek Experience at the Vegas Hilton? That kind of sucks. Did you ever get to go?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
That's awesome... I've always wanted to go there.

Did you know they closed the Star Trek Experience at the Vegas Hilton? That kind of sucks. Did you ever get to go?
Got there once a bit over a year ago. Glad I made it before they closed it down. Not sure my wife enjoyed it as much as I did though.

Not sure if you listen to this or not, but there's a great SF podcast called Slice of Scifi, out of Phoenix. http://www.sliceofscifi.com (link WFS)
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
Peter Keller

Profile:

Back to the OP, Billy Mitchell called up theavclub.com a while back more-or-less out of the blue and did an impromptu interview about the film. It's an interesting read if you liked the film:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-k...mp-billy,2159/ WFS
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #16
Matt Smiley

Profile:

There's another good read about this guy that I encountered in Harper's last summer. I remember thinking that it was a pretty fascinating subculture. Here's a wfs link to the article if anyone is interested:
http://laweekly.blogs.com/joshuah_be...y_mitchell.pdf
Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Keller View Post
Back to the OP, Billy Mitchell called up theavclub.com a while back more-or-less out of the blue and did an impromptu interview about the film. It's an interesting read if you liked the film:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-k...mp-billy,2159/ WFS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Smiley View Post
There's another good read about this guy that I encountered in Harper's last summer. I remember thinking that it was a pretty fascinating subculture. Here's a wfs link to the article if anyone is interested:
http://laweekly.blogs.com/joshuah_be...y_mitchell.pdf
Thanks Peter and Matt. He's an interesting guy.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #18
Mark Knisely

Profile:

Some good documentaries I've seen are Religulous, Bigger Stronger Faster, Sicko, Who Killed the Electric Car? amd Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room all very good documentaries in my opinion check em out.