CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
Enes Kolenovic

Profile:
Glute Ham Developer Vs. Swiss Ball

One of the great things about my Globo Gym was the GHD. (Note the avatar)

Getting my own is an unrealistic option right now. I've tried various crazy methods of mimicking the movement but to no avail.

My question is how do GHD Sit-ups on a Swiss Ball compare to the real thing?
Obviously any substitute will never be as good as the original, but does it get the job done?

One last question. Swiss balls come in various sizes, which is best for doing GHD sit-ups.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Jeff Yan

Profile:
Re: Glute Ham Developer Vs. Swiss Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enes Kolenovic View Post
Obviously any substitute will never be as good as the original, but does it get the job done?
In my opinion, at a cost of less than $15, it's hard to complain. Plus, if your erectors are fried and tightening from DLs, cleans, GHD back extensions, it feels good to lie stomach-down on the ball to stretch your lower back.

The appropriate ball size is usually recommended based on your height. (E.g., I'm 5'6" and I use something which is supposed to be "65 cm".) I think if you go too big you might lose a little range of motion.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Enes Kolenovic

Profile:

Thanks Jeff.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Actually, if you're using the Swiss ball to sub for a GHD, meaning anchoring your feet somewhere and lying with the swiss ball underneath your thighs, then the bigger the better, no matter how tall you are. The reason for this is that you want to be as high off the ground as possible to allow for a greater range of motion. You can also aid in this by placing the ball on a step or box to elevate it. When I do this exercise at Lifetime I use the safety bars on the squat cage to anchor my feet. I set them 1 space apart on the same side and jam my feet in between, just like on a GHD. It hurts at first, because there's no padding, but you get used to it.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Christopher
I think I understand what you're talking about. The way you're describing, the added height of the bigger ball will offer you more clearance so that you have more range before your forehead hits the floor on the downswing. I've never done back extensions with my feet anchored in a cage and my thighs on the ball.

When I do them, my feet are wedged where the wall meets the floor (or I sometimes also do them unanchored). However, doing them this way, the ball is more centered under my hips for balance (higher than my thighs) since my feet can dislodge more easily. Doing them this way, when you bend forward you are essentially wrapping yourself around the ball. In this case, you can imagine a bigger ball preventing your from getting in the way of you ROM.

Also, I imagine that placement of the ball by your hips would more closely resemble back extension and placement by your thighs would be more analagous to hip extension.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
Caleb Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enes Kolenovic View Post
One of the great things about my Globo Gym was the GHD. (Note the avatar)

Getting my own is an unrealistic option right now. I've tried various crazy methods of mimicking the movement but to no avail.

My question is how do GHD Sit-ups on a Swiss Ball compare to the real thing?

One last question. Swiss balls come in various sizes, which is best for doing GHD sit-ups.
I don't have a GH machine at home either. I use a swiss ball in front of a bench with my knees over the leg pads (at the end facing the bar) and my feet just under each side. It absolutely kills my core. It's awfully close to the real thing if not better because of the lack of balance. The closer the ball to the bench the less support you have when you go down. You can feel it in the legs and hips just like a GH machine.