CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-22-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
Ron L'Huillier

Profile:  
Good Day,
About 10 years ago I had surgery to get rid of an impingment in my left shoulder. Aferwards the doctor told me to NEVER bench again. He said the cartilage and worn from around the joint and there was some wearing on the bone. I have heard of others that have been able to bench again after a surgery like this most noticeably my firend John who currently benches 606 lbs. He mentioned one doctor told him he'd never bench over 300 lbs, but he visited anothter doctor who prescribed some sort of osteoporosis medicine usually given to women and this along with some joint stablization excercises allowed him to lift.
I'd like to bench again and wonder if anybody has any experience with this issue.

Second (sorry about the length of this post) 20 years ago a doctor told me never to deadlift again. At that time he said I have degenerative disk disease which I do not doubt. However after having not deadlifting for nearly 20 years my back just became a mess. Even sneezing became quite and ordeal. I recalled that when I began deadlifting in my youth it seemed to alleviate my back pain. Sure enough since deadlifting again for the past three weeks my back now feels better that it has for 20 years. Does anybody have any experience with this. I wonder of deadlifting can help DDS.

Finally (again.... sorry) does anybody have any experience using creatine? My bench press buddy says he feels that this has helped his shoulder problem. I am skeptical, but after seeing him bench over 600 lbs at the recent WABDL Bench Press and Dead Lift Championships he makes a strong point.

Thank you kindly,
Ron L.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Ron:

Welcome aboard!

Can't speak directly to your injuries, but the general consensus here is that intelligent exercise and movement will "cure" (or, at least, vastly relieve) the majority of conditions where doctors tell you "don't ever do X again".

In particular, DLs for back pain make a lot of sense to me. Do it with *perfect* form, and don't use more weight than you can handle (with perfect form), but yes, do them. They will do you a world of good. One of our moderators, David Werner, has significantly improved a torn-up back with CrossFit, kettlebells, and, I'm pretty sure, deadlifts.

The bench press thing I know less about . . . we don't do a whole lot of benching in CrossFit (much more lifting things overhead). However, it wouldn't surprise me if a similar phenomenon could occur around those joints. But I would want to make very sure I had exactly the same issue going on before I took an osteoporosis medicine. The drug your friend got was probably Actonel or Fosamax; those are reasonably serious drugs with reasonably serious side effects. I would want to be absolutely certain that my issue was exactly the same as my friend's before I would consider them. Joint stabilization work makes sense to do first.

Finally, creatine elicits a wide range of opinion around here (use the search function). Some swear by it, others at it. Doesn't seem to really harm anyone, though, and there's a lot of evidence that it could help.

Hopefully, others will chime in here, too.

Again, welcome aboard.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
David Birozy

Profile:
Hi Ron, sounds like we had the same thing. I had an AC decompression, and they routered out the underside of the clavicle to relieve my impingement problems. I wasn't told to avoid benching - I was told to avoid lifting anything overhead. Interestingly, the ortho said this had nothing to do with the surgery, he recommends it for all people due to the nature of the shoulder joint as it developed as we moved from walking on all fours to standing. Ya, well, thanks for that bit of advice. Perhaps a sedentary life would suit him better.

Personally, I've found heavy benching to be uncomfortable on my shoulder. However, I can do heavy dumbbell presses without any pain at all. As a result, I go light on the bar benching, and heavy on the dumbbells.

I've never used any meds, however if you didn't catch it the past few days, Merck just lost a huge case for Vioxx, and others are on the block too.

I agree with David in that exercise tends to help a lot of physical problems. However, I need to echo David's comment that you need perfect form, and be very careful about the amount of weight being used. I'd be worried that you blow out a disk by trying to get a single, double or triple lift. Be smart - you, me and most of us on this board aren't in our 20's any more - and we don't heal like we used too! Take it easy and listen to your body. If something feels "wrong" or painful - stop.

As for creatine, I'm a big proponent, though others here disagree. I've tried a number of different kinds over the years (regular, micro, ether, effervescent, etc.) Some work better than others, so you may have to experiment and find out what works best for you. What works for me may not work well for you.