CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-30-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
I'm going to be making my own pullup bar for my backyard soon. I was wondering what kind of effect I would get if I used a thick bar, something around 1.5"-2.0", and did most to all of my pullups on that. Obviously grip strength would improve, but could this be detrimental to my pulling strength? Has anyone done a lot of thick-bar work? If my only goal is to improve at the WOD, would this help?
Old 05-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Mark, I've not done consistent thick bar work. I think the one thing to be cautious of would be frying your forearms to the point that you couldn't continue doing pullups. At that point, you're sacrificing development of pulling strength to increase forearm strength. IMO, not the best tradeoff.

What about some kind of setup where you could swap bars when needed?
Old 05-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
Yeah, I might try to have both a thick bar and a normal one for that reason. I don't want fried forearms to hinder everything else. The idea was just rolling around in my head and I figured better minds than mine will have contemplated/tried this already.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:32 PM   #4
Jim Glover

Profile:
I do this but I've got two straps with an old small diameter barbell hung from the ceiling and on certain days I slide a piece of 1 1/2" white pvc pipe over it.

Makes a quick swap out and thrashes my forearms for days.

Like Matt said use it as a tool but not as your only option.

I've also made some slip on grips for my dumbbells and I originally was modifying them for swings but I plan on doing some suitcase deads tomorrw and try them out for the first time since my lower back was fried last week when I got them fixed up.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Derek Lane

Profile:
maybe it's just me, but I've actually found it easier to kip on larger diameter bars. Don't know if that has something to do with pinch grip strength vs. crush grip strenght or if the "looser" grip just lets me rotate easier on the bar(kinda like Oly bar vs Power lift bar when doing a snatch or something)

my .02

Derek

oh, small bar = approx Oly-bar size. large bar = approx 2-2.5 inch diameter.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:55 AM   #6
Brian Hand

Profile:

Derek, same here. I think my most comfortable grip is between 1.25 and 1.5. At 2" it starts to be a grip workout, but I wonder if I did it with a 2" bar regularly if the grip would just catch up and it would be business as usual after that.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I'm sure he would eventually catch up Brian, but I suspect that by the time his forearms were able to deal with the constant extra stress he'd be way behind in pullups.

IMO it's a "bang for your buck" situation. More benefit from stronger pulls than stronger forearms. Do the thick bar pullups as an adjunct, not a primary.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
Dennis Ludwig

Profile:  
Hi folks!

I do my pull-ups on a 2.3" bar (6 cm) since (approximately) 20 months and I can assure you that this method increased my pulling strength considerably...
But it is not advisable to train until your forearm muscles are fatigued and depleted of energy.

Be well,

den

Old 05-31-2005, 01:01 PM   #9
Ryan Scott

Profile:
I am not sure how this would work with the crossfit workouts, but what if you use the thick bar until your grip failed and then use straps until your back and arms failed? I used to do this a lot when weight lifting, before I found Crossfit. Eventually your grip should strengthen, and you won't need the straps? Just a thought, I am sure that many of the people on the board have a lot more experience than I do though.

Ryan.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:49 AM   #10
Dennis Ludwig

Profile:  
Ryan,

I did not use any additional straps to train my upper arms or the lats. I think the total number of pull-ups increased, because this bar leads to improvement in "(forearm) muscle stamina"; i.e. my forearm muscles, which normally fatigue first, fail later.

Be well,

Den

p.s.: To develop a functional grip you can perform towel chins as well. My recommendation: drape two towels (each 2.75" thick; distance between the two towels: ~ 20" - 25") over the bar and grip the two ends hanging down. Do 15 sets (in 15 minutes) of 5-10 reps.