CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Travis Hall

Profile:

this could have been covered before, but searching for anything to do with pullups is a little overwhealming..

right right:

i just wanted to know if anyone had any technical type stuff on the ways chins and pulls work the same muscles differently (that is , if they do- i suspect they do) and also, if they each work different muscles (which ones work what more or less or not at all)?

cheers,
t.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:47 AM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Travis

Here is a not so technical answer to your question.

So go to your bar. Jump on with your hands soulder width apart (maybe a little closer) and palms facing you (chin up) Pull your chin up over the bar. Hold that... which muscles are burning?
Then... repeat the same process with hands wider than shoulder width, palms away (pull up)... now what hurts when you hold it?

For the most general of accounts... chin ups work your biceps far more than pullups, though they also hit your lats rather well if done correctly. Pullups do far more in the way of an overall back workout.
Though which muscles are worked the most can be affected by hand position, which muscles you are consciously using, and other such things...

I await the answers of the crossfit forum dieties to give you a technical answer...
Old 11-28-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
Brian Hand

Profile:

With an underhand grip the shoulder isn't rotated externally; the scapular retractors work harder. It is easier to pull very high with the underhand grip. The underhand grip is often pain free when shoulder pain inhibits training the overhand grip.

The shoulders don't really open up so much with an underhand grip, which is good in that it's easier on the joint, but also maybe bad in that it doesn't develop strength and flexibility at that end of the range of motion.

I think you can get a decent kip going either way, but more of a horizontal component with the overhand grip.

(Message edited by ccrow on November 28, 2005)
Old 11-28-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I'll go against the grain and say it's the same movement. If you want to give it a new name because you change your hand position, that's fine. This is an ongoing debate at another forum I frequent and I'm still waiting for them to tell me what it's called when I use a neutral grip. ;)
Old 11-28-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
Travis Hall

Profile:

ian,
i had alreay tried your advice and i'll post what i 'learned through observation' great minds think a like :happy:

anthony,
i'm not really looking to name an exercise or start a fight over the 'better exercise'. more of just curiosity. that's why i'm looking for a technical kinda answer. i'm always curious about these things. i think it's the same movement as well- in a general sense. just like knuckle pushups, normal pushups and diamond pushups are the 'same' movement. but they work the 'same' muscles differently and target ones to a less/more degree.

my observations (using a muscle chart to sound scientific):

chinup- focuses more on biceps brachii, Deltoid (Anterior) and flexor carpi ulnaris. also the lattissimus dorsi (of course) and teres major and rhoboideus major more then 'whole back spread'
seems to recruit chest a little less and abs a little more when kipping.
also could be a little less functional then the overhand. rare to pull on something underhand. how often do we curl things in real life?

pullups- seems to hit whole deltoid (a little less the anterior though) brachioradialis and extensor carpi radialis longus more then actual bicep. also hits/effects more of a general back spread- although, i personnally feel less tension on the smaller muscles (rhoboideus and teres) and more on the larger- traps (upper and lower).
also seems to hit chest a little more and abs about the same...

more functional possible in the grabing, climbing sense.

comments? corrections?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Travis, I apologize. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. By saying I think they are the same movement, I meant they work the same muscles. Yes, muscle recruitment changes to a certain degree, but not enough to make a measurable difference outside of medical tests.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
Travis Hall

Profile:

anthony
no need to apologize- i just thought i might not have been clear enough, so i tried to clarify more...

as for medical tests- that's kinda what i'm looking for. curious if any studies or anything have been done on recruitment, strength/ weakness, muscle growth, etc of the two variations.
i posted my own (amateur) observations- was wondering if others have had the same observations as me- if so great, if not, what they've noticed... from a more 'professional' view..

i would have thought this might have intrigued others as well... guess not...