CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-19-2005, 02:36 AM   #21
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
Once the weight gets clsoe to my max, my form always deterioates. However I remember reading a long time ago that the GH response from lifting super heavy (close to max) weight is huge. Which is why at times people will attempt a certain weight that they know they can't lift, just so that their body knows what it feels like to handle the higher weight.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:56 AM   #22
Brian Hand

Profile:

Nosebleeds are not uncommon in powerlifting. Lee Moran, the first to squat over 1000 pounds, did it with blood streaming out both nostrils. I think it's mainly due to high blood pressure during a max effort lift. I have had it happen with heavy weight when I have to really strain a long time to finish a lift, and I don't have any blood pressure problems. The extreme tension generated during maximum effort raises intrathoracic pressure dramatically. Of course it doesn't help that many powerlifters in the upper weight classes are also obese and using drugs that make matters worse. It is a little scary, if blood vessels in the nose are breaking you worry that some more important things might not be far behind.

There are a lot of 800+ squats at http://www.westside-barbell.com but not so many deadlifts.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #23
Michael A Martinez

Profile:
WOW, I'm just an EMT-B student... but that looked bad. A nose bleed (Epistaxis) w/out digital trauma can be a clue to an underlying vascular problem, or worse.

If pressures in the thoracic cavity are high enough to present a nose bleed in the head, what else is going on? What kind of stress are you putting on your heart's valves and the systemic sub-system (Aortic dissection or Mitral valve prolapse)? What about your dome and possible hemorrhage’s e.g. sub & epidural? Got Clots?

It would be a very bad day at the gym if you had an aneurysm because you put too much stress on your containers. It may not be that bad, as most of these lifters are athletes and this seems to be fairly common in that world. However, is a BP < than 300mm/Hg systolic for even a short duration, beneficial for long term health?

Old 11-19-2005, 06:54 PM   #24
Brian Hand

Profile:

Michael, it is scary stuff when you think about it. I have heard of one stroke, but that was from leg presses on the old vertical type machine. That machine combines great intrathoracic pressure due to holding the breath, plus the thighs crushing into the rib cage at the bottom, plus you're inverted with your head low and your feet high. It's like a perfect storm for extreme high blood pressure. I have seen plenty of people burst blood vessels doing 45* leg press too.

I have also heard of people bursting the little vessels in their eyes straining. Belts are another potential problem, and all the extreme gear turing up in powerlifting contests are probably trouble.

On the other hand, the body is incredibly adaptive. I have heard that weight training improves the elasticity of the blood vessels and the ability to handle sudden changes in pressure. At what point you cross over from risk to benefit, I couldn't say.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #25
Tom Gilbert

Profile:

Any sports performance that pushes world class level has to be considered very good technique. Biomechanics can always be improved, but the deadlift is mostly just assistance anyway for strongman, so no need to sweat it

Health issues can become a concern no matter the style used. However, Ahola spent an entire near the top without problems from that style of lifting. If anything pushing his deadlifts to the max like that may have helped him stay healthy ... even from that view, you can see a great deal of empty space between his lowerback muscles. That is some amazing hypertrophy