CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-17-2005, 05:02 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Hey everyone,

Curious if anyone has heard anything yay or nay about Coach Istvan Javorek? I still subscribe to Muscle and Fitness (I know blasphemy) and he had a workout in there that wasn't your typical bodybuilder workout. He even stated he doesn't like to work bodyparts but motions. It is a 3 day a week program something simliar to this for one day sets of 8 varying in load.

Barbell Upright Row
Barbell High Pull Snatch
Barbell Behind the Head Squat Push Press
Barbell Behind the Head Good Morning
Barbell Bent Over Row

It is a 4 week program with a variety of exercises I have seen incorporated into Crossfit. (Which I guess makes sense since he was a Oly coach also .)

Anyone followed his stuff before? I was thinking about doing it like this following Thanksgiving.
Day 1, Crossfit WOD-MetCon, Day 2 , Crossfit WOD Metcon, Day 3 and then Sat and Sun are rest days. Right now I'm following a 5 on 2 off schedule just picking WOD's for the scheduled rest days.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:25 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

I have tried these and other complexes and have nothing but good things to say, hard to beat.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:55 AM   #3
Ian Holmes

Profile:
How hard is a BHtHSPP on ones shoulders? Would one not have to have incredibly good flexibility to do this move correctly?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
Tim Dewey

Profile:
Hi Allen. I have several of his programs, and plan on getting his book "complex Conditioning". What you listed is his Barbell complex I. He has many others. He generally works these in conjunction with other moves and plyos as part of a larger routine/program. I can tell you this, in one of his 3X week, 12 week program, no two workouts are the same. Yes, I kind of like it. I often use one of his complexes as a substitute for the XFIT warmup, or sometimes as a WOD by itself. Anyway, here's a link to someof his ideas with lots more complees and combo's.
http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html
Tim
Old 11-17-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Every once and a while I glimpse through a Muscle and Fitness type of magazone to see what kind of things they are saying. It's really weird but, I think they are catching on better and better. I looked at one about a week ago and one article was talking about how people have underdeveloped posterior chains, and that nothing will do more for your muscle mass than squats and deadlifts ect.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Profile:
2 months ago Muscle and Fitness had a Kettlebell article written up by Mike Mahler. It was a KB circuit pretty fun even if I did do it with DB's
Old 11-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #7
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Yeah, I used to get it. In fact, thought my wife had subscribed to it, but it was one of those deals where the magazine somehow automatically charges you yearly for a subscription. When I saw this charge pop up on a credit card I haven't used in a year (even worse, declared old one lost and got replacement with new number, and f$%^-ing charges followed to replacement card!)...long, angry story followed.

Anyway, saw the KB workout. They caveat it about 10 times with "But you can get just as great a workout with traditional lifting too" and somesuch.

The Javorek routine had thrusters in it too, IIRC.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Eric Moffit

Profile:
Ian,
i think when Coach Burgener teaches the jerk progression, he actually starts w/ behind the head push presses because they force you to use your posterior chain explosively to put momentum and elevation on the bar (as opposed to using your shoulders). so the bar rests on your lats while you do the squat, and as you explode up at the tri-point extension, your arms take over only to lock it out at the top. that being said i dont think it would demand incredible flexibility to do...pretty much the same as a regular push press or in the case of the full BBtHSPP, a thruster.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
Don Stevenson

Profile:
When I was doing the weightlifting coaches course there were lots of behind the neck jerk and snatch grip progressions. The behind the neck press, push press and jerk from clean and snatch grip were all included.

You need decent shoulder flexibility but it's not out of reach for most people.

Sometimes good stuff sneaks past the editors of Muscle and Fiction when they aren't looking....
Old 11-17-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
Eric Moffit

Profile:
i meant to say the bar rest on your traps, not your lats...that would be weird.