CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Steve Boutcher

Profile:
Problem with Open WOD 12.3

Question.

I have a physical condition called "pidgeon chest." This means my collar bones are particualary pronounced in front of my shoulders. It makes it physically impossible to start any type of press movement with a barbell resting on the front shoulders. The bone where the collar bones (clavicles) meet in the middle sticks up so high that there is zero chance of the barbell being able to rest/start on my shoulders. The only way I can get the bar to sit on my shoulders is if I release my grip on the bar with all but two fingers. if you have ever tried dragging 115lbs up into a press overhead with two fingers you'll know that it isn't nice.

As I cannot achieve the started start position (press must start from the shoulders) does this mean that my effort on WOD 12.3 will not count? The closest I can get the bar is about 1 inch above my front shoulders.

This is not a flexibility issue, it's a poor bone structure problem. I have managed to solve the problem by wrapping two knee support bandages at my shoulder width around the bar. This allows me to perform the press movement correctly but I'm worried this will disqualify me.

What do you think guys?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Problem with Open WOD 12.3

I thought there was a physical accommodations clause in the rule book.
I don't have it in front of me, but you may want to check it out.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Andy Shirley

Profile:

"Physical limitations in Range of Motion from prior physical defects or temporary or permanent injuries that are obvious and clearly definable by demonstration and brought to the attention of a Judge or CrossFit, Inc. prior to beginning of the competition may be granted an exception in CrossFit’s sole discretion. These cases are very rare, and will be handled on a case-by-case basis."
Old 03-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #4
Steve Boutcher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Shirley View Post
"Physical limitations in Range of Motion from prior physical defects or temporary or permanent injuries that are obvious and clearly definable by demonstration and brought to the attention of a Judge or CrossFit, Inc. prior to beginning of the competition may be granted an exception in CrossFit’s sole discretion. These cases are very rare, and will be handled on a case-by-case basis."
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info. I am an affiliate owner in Norway. Should I make a film showing the problem and send it to crossfit? I tested the press overhead movement yesterday with and without the bandages wrapped around the barbell. Without the bandages and with the barbell floating about an inch over my shoulders I only managed to press the 115lb barbell 4 times before my wrists died on me, but with the bandages and the barbell starting on my shoulders I pressed the 115lbs overhead 16 times unbroken. Being able to press off of the shoulders obviously made a world of difference.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Andy Shirley

Profile:

I would at least email them a link to the video, although they have the discretion to say no, as the rules state "prior to the beginning of competition"