CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Casey Cardwell

Profile:
Crossfit gyms, only for the rich?

Sorry if this has been discussed before...I tried my hand at searching for it, but...

My current gym is looking to start a new crossfit gym to meet the brewing excitement. At first I was completely stoked and really looking forward to having a dedicated facility made up solely of crossfitters. But now, I'm totally bummed, and a little peeved.

My irritation stems almost entirely from how much the gym will cost for membership: having a base membership starting at around $150/month. To me, that is outrageous, considering that other facilities that charge that much typically have pools, hot tubs, basketball courts, tennis courts, climbing walls, etc.; not just pull up bars, bumber plates, row machines, rings and ropes.

The justification I got for the cost was that every time you come in, you will meet with a trainer and work out with them in groups as you do the wods. And I suppose, if you were to be paying for personal training 150/month might be reasonable...but come on. First of all, you're not getting personal training if you're working in a group, and secondly, once you've gotten the exercises dialed, you can fairly effectively "train" yourself. If that's true, then all you'd be paying for is someone to yell encouragement to you with a few tips thrown in here and there.

What boils me more, is that I was told this is a fairly average cost for a crossfit gym. If that's true, then it sounds as though middle and lower class folks will forever be relegated to their garages, and outside of any "official" crossfit community.

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm all for garage gyms and local dedicates, I think that's awesome. But I really like the gym environment, and would love to be part of a crossfit gym...but why does it have to cost so freakin' much!?

Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Jake Di Vita

Profile:
Re: Crossfit gyms, only for the rich?

You are paying for a professional service.

By and large, the people who want it bad enough will find a way to afford it.

As an firearms instructor by trade, I can assure you that my students in group settings aren't hurting for attention - and most of the time wish I wouldn't pay as much attention to them as I do. Group instruction is personal training if it is done by a competent instructor.

Open up your own facility, see what operating a truly great affiliate entails, then lets see if you still think $150 a month is outrageous.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

knowledge has a price.

you're getting that knowledge transfered from a qualified instructor to you.

Simple as that.

You can always work-out alone most of the time and pay for one-on-one coaching from time to time to get your form checked. One-on-one training goes from anywhere from 55$/hour to 150+$/hour.

That group training still get your formed checked in even if it's not one-on-one training.

Knowledge and the facility and effectiveness of how you get it validates the price.

Good luck

p.s: this subject was more than discussed. Look in the affiliates forum, can't remember the name of the thread at the moment tho sorry.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=32282 wfs (I always get the feeling I'm partially lying when it comes to threads like that...)

Quote:
What boils me more, is that I was told this is a fairly average cost for a crossfit gym. If that's true, then it sounds as though middle and lower class folks will forever be relegated to their garages, and outside of any "official" crossfit community.
And yet those people that you claim can't afford it seem to join anyways. It's about priorities - you can afford it if you really want it. If you can motivate yourself and train well at home, have fun. Even better if you get a friend to come train with you. It's not the same as having a qualified coach, though - sorry.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

Try to think of it this way broken down;
$150/month for a CF gym membership, say the client goes 5x a week for 4 weeks in a month that is 20 visits per month. That is $7.50 per visit. That is a subway meal, 1 1/2 gal gas, far less than a movie at the theatre...helping people realize they aren't paying just to walk in the door and work out, which even at $7.50/visit isn't bad, they are also getting world class fitness training with a coach right there with them as they workout. Our bodies are worth far more than $7.50 a day for wellness compared to pills and dr. visits.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #6
Tom Brose

Profile:

This has been discussed a lot, so I'm just going to highlight a few points:

Affiliates work hard and don't tend to have trust funds...we need to charge $$$.

Almost anyone who trains at an affiliate will tell you how beneficial it is, and its worth it to them.

Cut out cable TV and brew your own coffee and you"ve more than covered the cost.

If you really can't afford this and want it, find a way. Ask to clean mats, pass out flyers, etc.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Guys, this one really has been discussed (to death? (at least onto serious life support)) in the thread Derek posted:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=32282 wfs

I'm going to close this one and encourage everyone who wants to comment further to add their thoughts there. However, I'd be grateful if anyone planning to do so reads what's been said before (yes, I know it's a lot, but you wouldn't be doing CF if you were lazy, right?) before sounding off . . . there's a pretty good chance someone's already made your point.

By the way, if you *don't* want to bother reading that whole thread, Tom Brose's summation (in the post above this one) gets it all down to the basics pretty clearly.

Closed Thread