CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Rich Matlock

Profile:

Rich’s WOD Log

Yet one more... with hopefull more to follow. I see Cross Fit being so much more effective for overall fitness then going into a gym and pumping iron for
1-2 hours or treading along on a treadmill for 30 minutes. Anyway, yestersday was my first WOD. 95,95,95,115,115.

Here is my story:
My son called me out the week before Thanksgiving 2007 to keep an eye on each other over the holidays. HISTORY – I’m a 45 male who retired from the Air Force in 2004, health wise I’m in good condition. Right shoulder surgery in December 2005. I’m 5’8” I have always struggled to make my yearly weigh-in. Since 1995 I’ve been over 200lbs, but I’ve always managed to make my body fat…barely. At Thanksgiving I weighed 217lbs. My waist was 36+. I have been in and out of the gym for years. Translation – I like to lift (although I’m not that strong if you look at my WOD from yesterday) but hate cardio. My friends son is a trainer, but not your run of the mill trainer. He started (Feb 1st 2008) me on air squats, d/b curls with lunges, curb sprints, etc. It wasn’t until last week he told me of this site. I’m really anxious to start seeing results. Oh update, since Feb 1, this year. I’m now under 200lbs, first time in 13 years…this morning I weighed 197. My 36” pants are now loose… and I LOVE IT!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Rich Matlock

Profile:

Re: Rich’s WOD Log

Day One the beginning ~ I was mentally pumped up to get busy... then I see the WOD of Shoulder Press' 3-3-3-3-3 As I said in my intro, I'm not that strong, even though I've been in and out of the gym for years. Mainly focused on weights and not so in the cardio area. Anyway ~ after having a Mumford Procdure back in Dec of 2005, I have lost some of my ROM in my left shoulder... I can't even get my arm back to do regular squats...so I am having to really concentrate on increasing my ROM. So here are my stats for Wednesdays WOD. 65-95-95-115-115. Not very impressive I know. But I've started, and I'm going to keep going. I like what I've read about the whole concept of CF. Yesterday I was all geared up to get busy... and we get a "Rest Day" come on.... I can only imagine what today would hold. We went to our friends son's graduation last night then out to a Japenesse Steak House.. ate WAY TO MUCH... and it was late (9:00). I got up this morning before going to work, kick up the comptuer to find CFT... on only my SECOND day in Cross Fit... I guess that's good in that I'll have a great starting level... Question for you: how often do they throw in the CFT?

Should be interesting on todays WOD if I can't even hold the bar on my shoulders... any ideas that'd help?
Thanks
Rich
and have a great Cross Fit Day
Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
Rich Matlock

Profile:

rock climbing and repelling. What was supposed to be a 300-400 yard walk in… turned out to be a 3 hour death march. Ended up sliding about 20’ down this steep embankment and then dropping about 8 feet landing oh my hip. Yeah.. bruising setting in today. The “lead” guy didn’t bring a map or a GPS we almost tossed him over the cliff. We finally got to where we went climbing… we were just down from Mitchell Dam of the Coosa River… you know it? Short story long (I’m famous for) By the time we got back I was beat to get my WOD in. Since today’s WOD is a Rest Day… I need to get my butt in the gym and get at it. So I’m going after yesterday WO.

Oh yeah Friday’s WOD results
Back Squat – 225lbs… my shoulder wouldn’t allow me to hold much more than that. My legs felt fine… will switch to another form of legs next time… any ideas?
Shoulder Press – 135
Deadlift – 250

For a total of 610 for my first CFT… told you I was weak, but I’m looking for improvement!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Uh, if your body is bruised and beaten up.... it's not a good idea to do a WOD. Injuries (and consequently prehab) always come before working out. Working out with a beat up body or injuries is asking for more serious injuries.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Rich Matlock

Profile:

Steven,

I took your advice and took the day off. I thought about doing a little work at the house after work, but my hip was telling other things. I'll head to the gym and take it easy today... some streches (work on my shoulder), maybe a little spinning to get the blood flowing to my hip.

Stay tuned they is more to come. 185 by the end of the year. 14lbs to go. I don't just want to weigh that first thing in the morning, but I want to be around 185 all day long. Also... a little help here, Body Fat: where do I need to be? Right now I'm at uggghh 30.5% as of Apr 2, 2008 that is down from 31.9% beginning of this year. I am 45/M/5'8"
Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Rich Matlock

Profile:

Did my own WOD today

3 Rounds for time

20 Box Jumps
20 Air Squats
20 SDHP 75lbs
1 lap around gym

17:28

Sure was hot outside today...it may not be summer time on the calendar.. bit is sure is awful warm here in Montgomery, AL... I was whopped...loved it... I was dripping with wet...my lungs were about to burst out of my chest.

Work towards the goal 184lbs 34in waist
Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
Rich Matlock

Profile:

WOW Being new, I'm having so many first's.

I did four sets with 37 seconds left, but I was sucking wind so hard, I wasn't able to even think about another shot at pull-ups.

Like many I can't (for long) do pull-ups to save my life.
Set 1 - 15 pull-ups (weight assisted 90lbs)
Set 2, 3, 4, - 15 pull-ups jumping

Looking forward to gains in endurance ~ and drop in bodyfat and waist size
Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
Rich Matlock

Profile:

Yesterday's WOD ~ Since I can't do back squats I used the Body Solid Squat Machine... after CFWU's and 3 sets of squat warm-ups ~ I got 270x5.

Boy my hams and glutes are screaming this am... might do some strecthes tonight, and maybe do a light run or something to just loosen up my legs.

Since today is a rest day (Thank-God), and with me just getting back on a MC... I guy I work with told me about the Patiot Guard... The PG ride's ONLY at the requests of the families. http://www.patriotguard.org Check 'em out. I'm going on my first Guard ride today.