CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
Peter K. Murphy

Profile:
Body Composition

Hello Everyone,
I was turned on to your site about a month and a half ago, and after doing one of the WOD's I've become so impressed with the total body fitness that I've decided to contribute and participate with the community aspect. I was just wondering if any of the veterans had any knowledge of the 'ideal' body composition for this type of workouts and fitness. For example, I am 6'2" and have been hovering around 170-175 pounds for the last month, however, I often struggle with the prescribed weights for the WOD's. I know that I should scale the workouts, and intend to in order to fully experience what each day is testing my body with, but is it necessary that I gain more muscle mass in order to achieve the weights prescribed? I'm very lean right now, I'd estimate around 8%BF (and love my abs ) but in order to reach the fitness level that is required to complete these workouts, I'd have no issue with putting on a bit more BF to foster muscle growth. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Cheers,

Peter
Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Jake Oleander

Profile:
Re: Body Composition

you dont have to gain weight to increase your strength
Old 10-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Peter K. Murphy

Profile:

this is true, but if I'm plateau-ing, wouldn't my own size have a bearing on the amount of weight I can lift/push/handle.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Chet Morjaria

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter K. Murphy View Post
this is true, but if I'm plateau-ing, wouldn't my own size have a bearing on the amount of weight I can lift/push/handle.
Not sure what you mean by this mate - could you clarify?

Do you mean plateauing in terms of weight gain?

Indeed, you dont need to gain BF to get stronger
Old 10-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Peter K. Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Morjaria View Post
Not sure what you mean by this mate - could you clarify?

Do you mean plateauing in terms of weight gain?

Indeed, you dont need to gain BF to get stronger

I do have a very fast metabolism, so gaining weight takes time and energy, but what i meant by plateau is the amount of weights I can handle for the workouts. How closely do body mass and strength correlate? at 6'2" 175# is it possible for example to be able to do the WOD as prescribed with enough time training, or do I need to be eating more protein etc to make weight gains? where do strength gains end while maintaining the same weight???
Old 10-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

If you want to see the limits of strength look at olympic weightlifting weight classes... the 175 lbs around the 79 kg weight class those guys are snatching 173 kg and clean and jerking 210 kg. If you want that in pounds that's 380 lbs and 460 lbs approximately. Waaaay more than enough to do WOD especially since you're heavy enough.

If that's not enough for you then you might want to know guys my weight 135 lbs can do the WOD as prescribed so you have nothing to worry about. Heck, some of the girls who are lighter than me can do them as well.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Peter K. Murphy

Profile:

Sounds great. Thanks for the information. Time and continuing effort will have to do the trick.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
Mike Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you want to see the limits of strength look at olympic weightlifting weight classes... the 175 lbs around the 79 kg weight class those guys are snatching 173 kg and clean and jerking 210 kg. If you want that in pounds that's 380 lbs and 460 lbs approximately. Waaaay more than enough to do WOD especially since you're heavy enough.

If that's not enough for you then you might want to know guys my weight 135 lbs can do the WOD as prescribed so you have nothing to worry about. Heck, some of the girls who are lighter than me can do them as well.
Err - what you say makes plenty of sense - but I have the impression that the OLY guys you mentioned aren't quite 6'2" - and perhaps even that you yourself aren't a whole lot bigger than 6'1" or so ... <g>

Seems like there's a pretty big difference between 175 at 5'9" and 175 at 6'2" ...
Old 10-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
Peter K. Murphy

Profile:

Yea that crossed my mind as well. I have many friends who can outlift me at 175# but are only 5'8" and 5'9"...
Old 10-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Sam Marusich

Profile:

don't forget, a person that's 6'2" has to move the weight further than a person who is 5'9". More work is being done. I'm not really sure though how that translates into overall performance.