CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Wil Li
 
Profile:  
Posts: n/a
Dancing with the Stars 2009

Don'nt know if this is the right place to post this but it is a competition. Just now Shawn Johnson won with her partner which I don't kmow the name of of. I don't usually watch Dancing with the Stars but just a few minutes of it and just could stop, lol. Any comments, complaints, questions, thoughts, ojections?

Last edited by Wil Li : 05-19-2009 at 08:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Gregory L. Johnson
Member Gregory L. Johnson is offline
 
Gregory L. Johnson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Woodland Hills  CA
Posts: 322
Re: Dancing with the Stars 2009

Oh man you ruined it for me! I'm watching it on the West Coast.

However, on the plus side I was rooting for Shawn. I'm glad she won.
__________________
M/48/6'/200
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Frank Dennis
Member Frank Dennis is offline
 
Frank Dennis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indianapolis  IN
Posts: 1,162
Re: Dancing with the Stars 2009

I've never watched the show, but since someone started a thread anyway I do have a question...

In the US it's called "Dancing with the Stars," which makes sense to me. In the UK, where the show originated, it's called "Strictly Come Dancing," which doesn't.

Can any of our friends across the pond shed a little light? Does it come from some saying with which we're not familiar over here, such as with Russell T. Davies "Queer as Folk?" (which, incidentally, comes from a Welsh saying, apparently, and was completely lost on American audiences)
__________________
"It isn't safe out here. It is wondrous... with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it is not for the timid!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member Jamie J. Skibicki is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 8,841
Re: Dancing with the Stars 2009

Frank,

Unfortunately, Queer as folk was a gross exaggeration of the *** scene in pittsburgh, hopefully this doesn't ruin Meatfest for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
Frank Dennis
Member Frank Dennis is offline
 
Frank Dennis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indianapolis  IN
Posts: 1,162
Re: Dancing with the Stars 2009

I promised Lynne I'd turn down the double entendres, so I'm not going to touch "ruining MeatFest."

But yeah, I figured that it probably wasn't quite that extensive; they nearly exaggerated it for West Hollywood. Well, OK... no, but still.
__________________
"It isn't safe out here. It is wondrous... with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it is not for the timid!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Daniel Olmstead
Member Daniel Olmstead is offline
 
Daniel Olmstead's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Berkeley  CA
Posts: 567
Re: Dancing with the Stars 2009

I'd assume the "Come Dancing" is a reference to the Kinks song, mashed up with the movie title "Strictly Ballroom."

Which does not make it a GOOD title. Just a less nonsensical one...
__________________
Those who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
M|31|6'4"|185 Goal: 200/10% On rock? Rock on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Wil Li
 
Profile:  
Posts: n/a
Re: Dancing with the Stars 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory L. Johnson View Post
Oh man you ruined it for me! I'm watching it on the West Coast.

However, on the plus side I was rooting for Shawn. I'm glad she won.
Oh man I am terribly sorry. I guess I should ahve post a warning the title. Huge fan of Shawn Johnson ever since seeing her in the Bejieng Olympics. I didn't even know she was even on it. I think is was sweet how her dance partner throw her a prom but it can't compare to the actual one. I hope she doesn't miss her senior prom. Hey by the way does winning mean she gets to come back next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
I've never watched the show, but since someone started a thread anyway I do have a question...

In the US it's called "Dancing with the Stars," which makes sense to me. In the UK, where the show originated, it's called "Strictly Come Dancing," which doesn't.

Can any of our friends across the pond shed a little light? Does it come from some saying with which we're not familiar over here, such as with Russell T. Davies "Queer as Folk?" (which, incidentally, comes from a Welsh saying, apparently, and was completely lost on American audiences)
You're in UK? I always wish to go there some day. But the title thing, I don't know though. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
I'd assume the "Come Dancing" is a reference to the Kinks song, mashed up with the movie title "Strictly Ballroom."

Which does not make it a GOOD title. Just a less nonsensical one...
Nice deadlift.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Frank Dennis
Member Frank Dennis is offline
 
Frank Dennis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indianapolis  IN
Posts: 1,162
Re: Dancing with the Stars 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Li View Post
You're in UK? I always wish to go there some day. But the title thing, I don't know though. Doesn't make sense to me either.
No, not in the UK, though I've been, and it was awesome. Definitely want to go back.

However, most of the TV I watch is from there; they do some great TV. My favorite shows are Doctor Who, Top Gear, Torchwood, 11th Hour, and Graham Norton.
__________________
"It isn't safe out here. It is wondrous... with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it is not for the timid!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #9
Wil Li
 
Profile:  
Posts: n/a
Re: Dancing with the Stars 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
No, not in the UK, though I've been, and it was awesome. Definitely want to go back.

However, most of the TV I watch is from there; they do some great TV. My favorite shows are Doctor Who, Top Gear, Torchwood, 11th Hour, and Graham Norton.

How do you get shows from there?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Frank Dennis
Member Frank Dennis is offline
 
Frank Dennis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indianapolis  IN
Posts: 1,162
Re: Dancing with the Stars 2009

I buy them on DVD.
__________________
"It isn't safe out here. It is wondrous... with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it is not for the timid!"
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ballroom Dancing Music Choices? Steve Sheffar Community 7 01-15-2009 11:03 AM
New Stars and Stripes article - CrossFit Ramstein Charles Applin Community 0 01-13-2009 06:23 PM
Seeing stars after TOTAL Jason Comandante Exercises 8 08-16-2008 08:39 PM
Rogue Rings Review - Five Stars Douglas Chapman Equipment 5 03-03-2008 11:31 AM
Hip dancing... watch this video Simon Sim Fitness 6 07-30-2007 03:56 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.