CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
James Rollo

Profile:
Strange Ammonia Smell after 15k

Woke up this morning. Drank about a Liter of water and about 8oz of Green Tea. Then Hit the 15k.

After getting back I immediatly drank .5 liters of water and ate half a cereal bar. Went and took a shower. While in the shower I started smelling something similar to Ammonia. It stuck with me for about 10 minutes. I made breakfast, and ate. Now an hour later Im smelling it again.

My first instinct of course was to look around me for something that might be causing it. I cannot find anything and I have never smelt this before aside from opening something with lots of ammonia in it.

Any Ideas?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Jeff Yan

Profile:
Re: Strange Ammonia Smell after 15k

Is it definitely not coming from your workout clothes?

Sometimes if I put my super sweaty base layer clothes in a plastic bag after playing a hockey game, I end up with an ammonia odor.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's happened to me a few times over many years and I've never figured it out either, or really bothered to look into it. Interested to see if anyone has any insight.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:

It's some kind of insufficiency in your diet- protein or carbs... I forget which. Did you google it?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Peter Keller

Profile:

I get this in the shower sometimes after a hard run. I know it has been discussed on some running forums I formerly frequented.

"
Q My sweat smells strongly of ammonia after a run. Is this normal?

A Don't be too alarmed: the smell of ammonia in sweat is common among runners. Ammonia comes from the breakdown of amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) within the body. It is made up of nitrogen and hydrogen. The hydrogen atoms are converted to glucose and used as fuel. The nitrogen is a waste product that needs to be excreted by the body, and is processed in the kidneys to form urea that is excreted in urine. If there is too much nitrogen for your kidneys to deal with, it will be excreted as ammonia in your sweat.

One factor to consider is water intake. If you are consuming adequate fluid, the ammonia will be diluted - a decrease in the concentration will result in a less potent smell of ammonia. One way to be sure you are drinking enough fluids is to ensure your urine is clear.

Many people mistakenly believe ammonia sweat means that their protein intake is not high enough. The body will only utilise protein for energy when it does not have a sufficient supply of fats and carbohydrates. Muscles can use glucose and fat for energy, but the brain requires glucose. Since there is no direct metabolic pathway from fat to glucose when there is insufficient carbohydrate, your body will use amino acids. Therefore, if your sweat smells of ammonia don't compensate by adding more protein (amino acids) to your diet, instead fuel your muscles and brain with what it prefers as an energy supply: carbohydrates. So, although protein is important in the diet, don't go overboard. The recommended daily amount of protein is 15 per cent of your total calorie intake.

If you find the smell of ammonia persists try having a low glycaemic index carbohydrate, such as an apple, before your run and during prolonged exercise drink sports drinks to fuel your body and prevent amino acids being burned as energy. Don't forget the body needs carbohydrate to burn fat so don't think that providing some carbs before running is going to eliminate the fat burning process.

óJane Newman, Sports Physiotherapist and Ultra Runner
"
Source, WFS safe
Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
James Rollo

Profile:

Hey! Thanks a lot! I knew I wasn't imagining it.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
Camille Lore

Profile:

Good info. Thanks for clearing up the wives tale.