CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Neil Duncan

Profile:
Tried everything to help sleep.. no luck.

Now i know how important sleep is to improving on performance/body comp/recovery and I've tried so much to help me sleep...

Going to bed earlier
No TV or computer late before bed
Read a book before bed
Cup of hot milk before sleep

Even went down the supplement route of :

ZMA
GABA

Neither of which worked, GABA only gave me horrible night sweats..

Does anybody have any suggestions what to try next? - I can only get 5 - 6 hours per night and I'm SURE it's holding me back

Last edited by Neil Duncan : 07-05-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Re: Tried everything to help sleep.. no luck.

Whenever I had sleep problems, I usually took melatonin. However, that was from my own experience and I don't want to mislead you into taking drugs. I just remember that melatonin worked more than anything for me. Someone else can chime in on this...
Old 07-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

Melatonin works well. Try the sub lingual that dissolves under the tongue. GNC carries it. Just ask the person that works there. The only side effect may be more vivid dreams but not something that will wake you up. Also, when you wake up the next morning make sure you get up and start your day. If you make yourself go back to sleep you may over sleep. Give it a shot on a night when you do not have to get up at a certain time the next day.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Sarah Scholl

Profile:

any other symptoms?

I had sleep problems, and found out I had lyme for two years undiagnosed...it messes up your hormones and adrenals, keeping you from sleeping...let me knowif you have other symptoms, and I will tell you if you should go get checked!

xo
Old 07-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Melatonin is a good one. I have had good luck with it. I also use benedryl. I am a shift worker, so sleep is something very much at the forefront of my thoughts. Benedryl is cheap, non-addictive, has no rebound or side affects and clears your nose all at the same time . A doctor suggested it to me years ago when I was a milkman. Great stuff...
Old 07-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

multiple things to be done or at least looked before resorting to meds or sleep aids.

Look at your room:
how dark is it? The room should be black, no excess light via windows coming in? If yes, consider using thicker curtains, black out curtins, or use a blindfold.

Remove all ambient light in the room. The clock radio is too bright, use a old school , clock with the green pin point hands. Remove all the little plug in lights from computers, ipods, chargers. ( i will explain the later)

The temperature in your room plays, a big role in this, too hot, you do stay alseep, too cold, your muscles dont relax to rest, they stay tense to make heat. So adjust your room according.

Meals, Not carbs or high fat or spicy foods 3 hours before your turn in. To full of a stomach, means your body has to dump vast amounts of stomach acids to digest food. Which in turns starts bothering your stomach , gets heart burn or irritating feeling when your lying flat. This is one of the major reasons for having gerd. gastric esophageal reflux disease.. the acid wears the muscle that contains food in your stomach, over time it wears away the lining of the esophgus. ( Not getting to sleep is one the reasons why they present to md then are diagnosed with it.)
Small piece of protein to stimulate melatonin production .. i will get there too.

dont worry , be happy. Worrying about the days events or the next day, only stimulates adrenal glands which stimulates your metabolism, resulting in that amped up feeling.

No exercise 3 hours before bed, the adrenal glands and your metabolism will be maxed out, and you will be too wired to fall asleep. It will be several hours after when you feel like sleeping.

Limit your tv or computer time at least an hour or two before you sleep.

No alcohol or weed/pot before bed. of course no caffeine, no chocolate, no sodas, or juices.

So what is the deal with light?
well, melatonin makes you sleep when its dark. seratonin makes you awake when its light.

So with our constant exposure to light, our brains are working over time because of hormone production. Normally over the course of the day, light dwindles and we begin to yawn and ready to go to sleep. But once the sun goes down, we are in front of the tv for 4 hours or in front of the computer, you are now simulating 4 hours of sunlight, and have managed to stop melatonin production got serotonin working over time.

Remember all those little blue lights or red lights in your room... that happens to be enough light for the brain to switch gears again.
You have to remember, once a upon a time, man did not go outside, because things that were bigger and hungry then us, were lurking. So when it got dark, we found a safe place and went to sleep. And when the seasons changed ... and days got shorter nights got longer... we slept longer.

melatonin tabs are good, and have few side effects. Increase hair loss, and vivid dreams... some so vivid that people say they awaken more tired than when they when to sleep due to the contents of their dreams. Melatonin, stops working the moment a sufficient amount of light is able to pass thru the eye lid, and poof ... your awake.
Since its not classed as a drug but a supplement its not regulated. So dosing of the tabs are wide spread. . Most studies on sleep use a 2.5 or 3 mg tabs. More than that, it doesnt make much difference. It either works, or it doesnt. If it doesnt work then you need to consider speaking with your md about possible psychotropic meds, as your brain is working overtime for whatever reason.

Benadryl... its an antihistamine... yes it works for sleeping, alot of Md will recommended it as its non addictive, verses the prescription stuff.
Benadryl can be a stimulate for some people .. meaning, it will do the opposite of what its meant to do.. this case.. make you hyper.
Another side effect, morning hang over. The groggy, foggy strung out morning after feeling. This only goes away when your body finally clears it from the blood. YOU can lose your license 24 hours, if your pulled over by the police and tell them that your driving while on sleeping medication.

Benadryl is found in a lot of over the counter stuff like, ez sleep, tylenol pm, advil pm.. So dont overdose yourself on it by combining drugs. Also Nyquil.... it has 10 percent alcohol in it along with benadryl.

Most difficulties getting to sleep, is thoughts related. You have to deal with the stress and that means identifying them, sorting them , and dealing with them. If you do that, most likely you will sleep.
Most people can go a night or two without sleep, after that.. its a problem. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture and if the brain does not get sleep or sufficient hours of sleep, it will cease to function..
( maybe some of our BUDS GRADS CAN VOUCH )

remember..
room.. blacker than black.
temperature to suit.
no carbs
unplug
no habits.. bedroom is for sleeping or sex everything else should be done elsewhere.
protein only.
Same time, same place.

good luck

sweet dreams!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

ive heard Zinc Magnesium supplaments help out a lot with sleep?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:44 AM   #8
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Gee I'd like to get home early enough to manage to get tea ready and finish it 3 hours before bed! We manage half an hour, maybe an hour at best. Some people lead a charmed life!
Old 07-06-2008, 03:14 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Frank;

Classic post, right out of: Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival (Paperback), which the OP should read.
Hope all is well, did you get a steer?

Robert, he's already tried ZMA, which is a Magnesium/Zinc supp.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:06 AM   #10
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
ive heard Zinc Magnesium supplaments help out a lot with sleep?
Zma doesnt help per se. If you do take it and get to sleep, your body tends to loosen up as the muscles will relax deeper. This inturn will make your sleep feel more restful. It doesn t enhance sleep or get you there.

Old school bodybuilders used to use Ghb, the date rape drug or the ravers' party drug. One of the uses was a sleep enhancement, Ghb would make the person have total muscle skeletal relaxation, in a short period of time, awake up and go back to the gym again. Problem is, mix up on the math, and your dosing incorrect.. you die as you even relax the muscles that kept you breathing.