CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Ad in "People" re: High Fructose Corn Syrups vs Sugar

For those who haven't seen it, it's a picture of two women talking. One says, "My hairdresser says sugar is healthier than high fructose corn syrup." The second woman responds,"Wow! YOu get your hair done by a doctor?"

The followup info on the bottom says, "There's a lot of misinformation out there about sugars made from corn. Truth is, high fructose corn syrup is nutritionallt the same as table sugar and honey. The same number of calories, too. As registered dietitians recommend, keep enjoying the foods you love, just do it in moderation. We welcome a healthy discussion. Get the facts. You're in for a sweet surprise." Sponsored by sweetsurprise.com

Now, I know corn is very political, and represents a huge lobbiest treasure-chest, via subsidies and corn-based fuels. I'm a little inclined to be weary of any appeals to the authority of mainstream nutrition, but my interest is still piqued. What does the esteemed assembly have to say on HFCS vs table sugar?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Ad in "People" re: High Fructose Corn Syrups vs Sugar

Both are nutritional zeroes.

HFCS is cheaper, hence gets used more. Both add nothing but calories (and sweet taste). Small amounts won't kill you, but won't make you healthier, either. Their presence in your food conditions you to expect sweet tastes, which is not a good habit.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Our local milk says the cows aren't raised with growth hormones. Another statement on the bottle says "no significant difference has been found in cows raised using rbst" It doesn't say difference in WHAT?!?! Very misleading.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Anytime anything like this appears, I listen to what i'm being told; then i face 180 degrees in the opposite direction, because that is where the truth is more likely to be found...
Follow the money....

See what this has to say on HFCS, white sugar, natural sweeteners etc etc

w/fs
www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm

Use the search bar on the above link...
Old 08-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Henry Miller

Profile:

HFCS tastes different. It is also processed slightly differently by the body, which may or may not matter (only in the the different parts of the sugar are processed differently, and HFCS has a different mix - the process for each part is the same).

Now if you are getting just a tiny amount of sugar in your diet, then it doesn't really matter - except that real sugar tastes better and for insignificant amounts the cost difference isn't significant. If you are getting too much sugar (like most people), then it doesn't really matter which kind you get - either way you are eating a very unhealthy diet.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

So apparently HFCS and sucrose ( table sugar ) have nearly the same amount of fructose and glucose in them. However, in sucrose it's in one molecule while in HFCS, it's already split. There is some thought that because table sugar is processed, probably using chemicals, it ain't so dandy either like table salt. I do know there is a big difference between table salt and sea salt and rock salt.

Apparently, only fructose can be processed in liver, where as glucose can be processed in any cell of the body. Only so much fructose can be processed, before the liver starts pumping it out as fat and triglycerides. Apparently, too much fructose can turn a liver into cirrhotic just like an alcoholic. Fructose, apparently has a low glycemic index where as glucose causes the body to secrete more insulin. As well, there was some data that fructose screws up some of the hormones that signal when we are satiated as well besides breaking down fats.

In a line, concentrated fructose acts very different than the fructose available in fruits.

The power of google is mine!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Interesting to note that COKE is processed with HFCS most of the year. The bottles that are produced especially for Passover and are Kosher Passover certified are produced with sugar.

Now me personally I wouldnt drink either with a 10 foot pole (never did like soda!! Thankfully!). Yet my family actually likes the passover soda better as they say its less sweet:-)
Old 09-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whipple View Post
For those who haven't seen it, it's a picture of two women talking. One says, "My hairdresser says sugar is healthier than high fructose corn syrup." The second woman responds,"Wow! YOu get your hair done by a doctor?"
I have to admit, that part is actually pretty dang funny.

Next thing you know the corn lobby will be comparing the caloric difference between brocolli and HFCS. Or comparing the weight of one pound of HFCS to one pound of beef. And the general American masses will suck it up...with a cheeseburger and a diet coke. Medium fries.

I think the more disturbing issue is that you're reading People magazine...and admitting it in public.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarena Kopciel View Post
Interesting to note that COKE is processed with HFCS most of the year. The bottles that are produced especially for Passover and are Kosher Passover certified are produced with sugar.

Now me personally I wouldnt drink either with a 10 foot pole (never did like soda!! Thankfully!). Yet my family actually likes the passover soda better as they say its less sweet:-)
and the ones from mexico..

mmm whenever i do get soda i get either the mexican coke my store sells or a good rootbeer with pure can sugar.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Rootbeers and sarsaparilla from Bevmo from cane sugar is some damn good stuff.

Mexican coca cola is in general better than bottled or canned. Of course, I'm thinking it's also the glass container doesn't impart any taste to the product.