CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Collin Thompson

Profile:
HBBS or LBBS

I just finished reading threads on this topic going back as far as 2008 (and have read plenty of articles/had discussions in the past) so I'm not posting this without already putting some thought into it. So two main questions which I wasn't able to find exact answers for, and when I say LBBS what I have in mind is Rip's technique:

1) Does the HBBS activate more quads or hamstrings compared to the LBBS? When I was getting 1-on-1 coaching with an affiliate owner he explained the HBBS recruits more hamstrings but the mainsite video today has Dave Lipson saying HBBS recruits more quads (his words were "much more quad demanding"). Who is right?

2) Will practicing one type of the squat have a better carryover to the other than it would vice versa (HBBS ---> better LBBS or LBBS ---> better HBBS)? Or should both be trained separately making this a poor comparison?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: HBBS or LBBS

Justin at 70s Big just did a great write up on this topic on January 3.
I won't post the link here because I know some things aren't WFS there - but it is easy to find.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Awesome thanks for the fast response. I'll go take a look now.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
I just finished reading threads on this topic going back as far as 2008 (and have read plenty of articles/had discussions in the past) so I'm not posting this without already putting some thought into it. So two main questions which I wasn't able to find exact answers for, and when I say LBBS what I have in mind is Rip's technique:

1) Does the HBBS activate more quads or hamstrings compared to the LBBS? When I was getting 1-on-1 coaching with an affiliate owner he explained the HBBS recruits more hamstrings but the mainsite video today has Dave Lipson saying HBBS recruits more quads (his words were "much more quad demanding"). Who is right?
Either you misunderstood the coach, or he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

I find high bar more effective when transferring strength over to other lifts than low bar, but not the other way around. Again, this is based on my 10+ years of lifting experience and training others.

Obviously, if your a powerlifter, you will most likely do low bar, wider stance for mechanical advantage. Olympic lifter will use high bar. Choose whatever gets you to your end goal!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Skylar Cook

Profile:

HBBS is definitely more quad-dominant. It's higher up on the back, so your torso will by necessity be more vertical to keep the bar centered over mid foot. This prevents you from sending your butt back as far, limiting hammie involvement (or at least that's my understanding).

Anyway, I like to mix it up. I like LBBS because it lets me handle more weight with less torque on my lower back, but I also supplement with FS, safety bar squats, and RDLs for more lower back recruitment. I find that without this, my LBBS becomes limited by my lower back strength, but I also have a really long torso.

On that note, definitely consider what Aaron said: what are your goals? If you're just shooting for "fitness," I'm pretty sure the Rx will be to mix it up.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
James Hanley

Profile:

I would instinctively say, given two guys squatting the same weight, the one doing it high bar is "stronger" in multi discipline terms.

And I swear if anyone uses Louies ridiculous high bar versus low bar argument I'm flying over to the US and slapping them
Old 01-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hanley View Post
I would instinctively say, given two guys squatting the same weight, the one doing it high bar is "stronger" in multi discipline terms.

And I swear if anyone uses Louies ridiculous high bar versus low bar argument I'm flying over to the US and slapping them
What is louies ridiculous HBBS V LBBS agruement?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #9
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Yeah, do tell.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I have heard Rip's argument, never Louies. Maybe got the name wrong?