CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
LBBS vs. HBBS

I was curious to hear peoples thoughts on this one. If you were to train a high bar back squat strictly, and then do a CF total, or 1RM attempt (both in competition and out), would you switch to a LBBS jist for that competition/workout?

Why?

- Daniel
Old 09-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: LBBS vs. HBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
I was curious to hear peoples thoughts on this one. If you were to train a high bar back squat strictly, and then do a CF total, or 1RM attempt (both in competition and out), would you switch to a LBBS jist for that competition/workout?

Why?

- Daniel
Considering that CF tends to favor HBBS rather than LBBS, and using form you've not used in practice, I would say stick with HBBS. Sure you might eke out some extra weight, but if you haven't trained LBBS, might not be the best idea to try to hit max effort at it.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I do not think that you would be able to put up more weight using LBBS if you had only been training HBBS and were not at least very familiar with training LBBS. Foot position, arm position, back angle, are all quite different. The first time you do them it would simply feel too awkward. And your back would probably not be able to keep the proper angle. Of course there are lots of other variables there. So perhaps if you were training lots of other lifts that hit the hips and back sufficiently, i.e. sumo dls, good mornings, rdls, etc. it's possible.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 09-12-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Switching from the high bar set up to the low bar definitely takes some getting used to. Up until about 4-5 months ago, I was always a high bar man, I got pretty strong at it too (1RM was around 350), it was almost like learning the squat over again when I made the switch.

I started out just doing warm-up weight in the low bar position, and then did work sets at high bar. Worked at it from there and now am exclusively low bar, and my squat definitely progressed faster doing that (current max is 405).

High bar translates better to oly lifting, so if you plan on doing a lot of that, you will not want to forsake HBBS forever. If you are looking to add size and strength (I know you have been - Ive looked ini on your log a few times), LBBS is the way to go.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
Switching from the high bar set up to the low bar definitely takes some getting used to. Up until about 4-5 months ago, I was always a high bar man, I got pretty strong at it too (1RM was around 350), it was almost like learning the squat over again when I made the switch.

I started out just doing warm-up weight in the low bar position, and then did work sets at high bar. Worked at it from there and now am exclusively low bar, and my squat definitely progressed faster doing that (current max is 405).

High bar translates better to oly lifting, so if you plan on doing a lot of that, you will not want to forsake HBBS forever. If you are looking to add size and strength (I know you have been - Ive looked ini on your log a few times), LBBS is the way to go.

Thats what I was generally thinking of, OLY lifting. However, I do have some form issues with LB and was thinking of switching to HB to see how it went, but I may just go a little lighter to fix the form issues.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Thats what I was generally thinking of, OLY lifting. However, I do have some form issues with LB and was thinking of switching to HB to see how it went, but I may just go a little lighter to fix the form issues.
Yeah, I'd stick with low bar if you want to get overall stronger (esp. if you're on SS). Once you have the strength if you want to switch to high bar for olympic lifting you can definitely do that.

EDIT: Lol, fixed above.

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 09-12-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
Yeah, I'd stick with low bar if you want to get overall stronger (esp. if you're on SS). Once you have the strength if you want to switch to high bar for olympic lifting you can definitely do that.
I assume you didn't mean high there.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
I'd say stick with low bar, at least while you're on SS. There's some magic to Rip's program that just seems to disappear when you stray from what he prescribes. And you can't get better at the LBBS unless you work on the LBBS!
Also, it's not the best time to switch up and experiment with variations of lifts while you're on a linear progression program like SS. It'll tend to slow your progress because you'll spend more time adjusting, tweaking, and getting comfortable with variations of lifts than you will spend getting stronger and making gains.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Considering that CF tends to favor HBBS rather than LBBS...
How do you figure?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

High bar only for me!!!!