CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Adam Shreim

Profile:
Back Squat form check

Going with my deadlift discussion, I would like to offer up what I believe may be my worst lift: the Back Squat. So, when I was at affiliates, with the exception of the CrossFit Total I never really did Back Squats. It is a lift I have never learned how to do via 1 on 1 or group instruction. It has all been self taught using Starting Strength as my reference point.

My goal is to low bar back squat with the deepest depth I can reach. This is the 3rd set at 245#. Usually I would try to go shirtless in digital coaching so people can see my back (if it rounds, ect) more clearly, but I just can't do it for Squatting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctcL_PLGG8A (WFS, apologies for the other threads)

So, the biggest take away from today is that I felt like my lower back did a little more work than my legs. At least, right after the set was done. It felt like my back REALLY rounded in 2 of those reps, but 3 of them were pretty solid to how I feel. I can post any updated loads, reps, angle upon request much faster than deadlifts, because I do these on Monday and Thursday every week.

Second take away - I was doing 275x5 (X3) in trying to go down to what I thought "just below parallel" and probably wasn't reaching the depth I want to reach. So I went back to 235 and am working my way back up at 5 pounds a workout until I hit a wall. This time I am trying to "bottom" out for my flexibility. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Back Squat form check

I thought they were pretty decent.

What type of shoes are you lifting in? Maybe it was the camera angle, but it looked to me like you were leaning to far forward as if the weight was on the balls of the feet in stead of midfoot or towards the heel.

Make sure you push the butt back and imagine keeping the weight on the heels.

Toes seems pointed maybe a tad too wide. Try rotating them in a bit and compare comfort and how tight you feel going into the hole.

Low back didn't seem to be a major issue, just make sure your jam your upperback into the bar to help drive up and to prevent too much forward lean.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Was using the Rogue Do-Wins Weightlifting shoe. I'll bring the toes in and try to keep the reps going by pushing my butt back and not just dropping down.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Brett Unrau

Profile:

I too saw weight as being too far forward. It was evident that you were pushing from the front of your foot instead of your heels.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Matty Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Unrau View Post
I too saw weight as being too far forward. It was evident that you were pushing from the front of your foot instead of your heels.
Yep, I agree. Keep the weight in your heels.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
Jeremy Moss

Profile:

Newbie here, but I see your back lagging a little as you push with your hips/legs and catch up later in the push. That might be a contributing factor to your shift in balance forward as you go up.

I know it is whenever I feel my back lag. I get a little shift in balance to my toes.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Colin Luck

Profile:

your elbows are not under the bar which causes the weight to push you forward onto your toes. try and straighten your wrists by pulling your elbows under the bar and really contract your lats on the way down to keep your back tight.. remember, chest up!